: Battery Tender on hood jump points or on the battery in the back?

ohub
01-15-12, 04:37 PM
For those who have battery tenders - where do you hook them up - to the battery in the back or the terminals under the hood?

Club Malibu
01-15-12, 04:58 PM
You have to disconnect at least the negative terminal and hook it right up to the battery. Yes many people have successfully gotten away with hooking it up to the engine bay but that's just wrong for the charger to accurately "read" the battery.

Titaniumseeker
01-15-12, 08:32 PM
I hook mine to positive terminal under the hood and a ground. I've had no issues with a trickle charge setting to keep the battery fully charged. Wether or not this approach is wrong would depend upon the charger you are using and its instructions for its use.

hulksdaddy
01-15-12, 10:52 PM
I hook mine to positive terminal under the hood and a ground. I've had no issues with a trickle charge setting to keep the battery fully charged. Wether or not this approach is wrong would depend upon the charger you are using and its instructions for its use.

Ditto. Works perfectly.

jft69z
01-16-12, 01:53 AM
I've done both with the CTEK 3300. No problems either way. I eventually put the included terminal/plug assembly on the battery terminals & that is where it is currently hooked up.

Jpjr
01-16-12, 03:29 PM
This seems a lot more complicated than using the cigarrete lighter in the car for the tender. $30 from Sears.

FLTRI
01-16-12, 03:46 PM
IMHO, if the cable running from the jump points to the battery are beefy enough to start the car, I can't see how <2 amps is going to make a bit of difference on a trickle charger...

jft69z
01-16-12, 09:10 PM
This seems a lot more complicated than using the cigarrete lighter in the car for the tender. $30 from Sears.

This is OK unless the cigarette lighter socket has 'switched' power. My truck has switched power to the sockets, my Corvette doesn't. I use the socket adapter in the 'Vette.

Thrill6
01-17-12, 09:55 PM
You have to disconnect at least the negative terminal and hook it right up to the battery. Yes many people have successfully gotten away with hooking it up to the engine bay but that's just wrong for the charger to accurately "read" the battery.

Having a degree in electrical engineering, I can say with 100% accuracy that it doesn't matter if you hook up in the front or directly to the battery, your battery tender won't be able to tell the difference. If the car were a couple hundred feet long, that would be a different matter... :-)

Club Malibu
01-18-12, 06:05 PM
Having a degree in electrical engineering, I can say with 100% accuracy that it doesn't matter if you hook up in the front or directly to the battery, your battery tender won't be able to tell the difference. If the car were a couple hundred feet long, that would be a different matter... :-)

I have a degree in Electrical Engineering too. I betcha we could have a HUGE pissing contest about this and start throwing words like Thevenin and Norton around and since we're both car guys we could state all the IF/THEN/WHAT's of doing this to an all original 1969 Camaro versus an '09+ CTS-V. Then we'll get sidetracked and start talking about the myths/Old Wives Tales and personal experiences of disconnecting the battery while the car is running. And then apply that to the IF/THEN/WHAT's of doing this to an all original 1969 Camaro versus a '09+ CTS-V.

Do you live in Jersey??? We gotta find a HOOTERS somewhere!!!!

baabootoo
01-19-12, 12:10 AM
I have mine under the hood also, and have used the C-Tek to recondition the battery and have no problems at all. Measure the voltage drop between the battery and under the hood, and see what it is.

GMX322V S/C
01-19-12, 04:09 AM
I have a degree in Electrical Engineering too...Me too, but I've spent the last 28 years in a career that has absolutely nothing to do with applied EE. So why float the battery when a tender is hooked up? Wouldn't the load from the car simply be in parallel with the internal load of the battery?

hulksdaddy
01-19-12, 03:43 PM

I have a degree in Electrical Engineering too. I betcha we could have a HUGE pissing contest about this and start throwing words like Thevenin and Norton around and since we're both car guys we could state all the IF/THEN/WHAT's of doing this to an all original 1969 Camaro versus an '09+ CTS-V. Then we'll get sidetracked and start talking about the myths/Old Wives Tales and personal experiences of disconnecting the battery while the car is running. And then apply that to the IF/THEN/WHAT's of doing this to an all original 1969 Camaro versus a '09+ CTS-V.

Me too, but I've spent the last 28 years in a career that has absolutely nothing to do with applied EE. So why float the battery when a tender is hooked up? Wouldn't the load from the car simply be in parallel with the internal load of the battery?

And I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......:bang2:

ogbuehi
01-19-12, 04:58 PM

No talk of thevenizing or nortonizing circuits. I always used millman's theorem to find my resistances and voltages.

Club Malibu
01-19-12, 05:54 PM
No talk of thevenizing or nortonizing circuits. I always used millman's theorem to find my resistances and voltages.

We all really gotta find a HOOTERS somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nutz
01-20-12, 11:35 AM
I guess I'm different, I don't know squat about watts, volts, hertz, I know a little bit about hurts donuts though... I put my Battery Tender in the trunk right to the battery where it's in a more stable warm environment, got 'em hooked to all my cars and they're expensive buggers to replace if subjected to the harsh winter temps and wind.

baabootoo
01-21-12, 07:11 PM
I'm actually reconditioning mine right now with the C-Tek from under the hood terminals. It seems to be working just fine so far. I'll update this tomorrow then. Sir Isaac Newtons favorite joke was, "Watts a volt?"....... :)

baabootoo
01-22-12, 04:04 PM
It was done in a few hours, and it worked just fine from under the hood. Obviously, you need to make sure the terminals are tight too though.

CTSV12
01-23-12, 01:26 PM
If you go to Hooters, is it best to hook up in the front or in the rear? :yup: