: 2005 STS. Reset codes?

LiquidTrader
01-14-12, 10:11 PM
How do I reset codes? I think its from the gas cap.

Do those who have a 2005 STS ... Does your gas cap completely tighten? Mine does not tighten to where you can't anymore. It just keeps spinning. Is this normal?

Subsailor613
01-14-12, 11:00 PM
Yes, that's normal, prevents you from OVER-Tightening the cap.

dkozloski
01-15-12, 12:12 AM
To reset the CEL without a scan tool; disconnect both cables from the battery, touch the two cables together, reconnect the leads. Using this method you'll have to relearn the express close on the windows and sunroof. Read your owners manual.

LiquidTrader
01-15-12, 08:22 AM
Yes, that's normal, prevents you from OVER-Tightening the cap.

I mean... I don't feel any of it tighten at all. Just spins.

----------

To reset the CEL without a scan tool; disconnect both cables from the battery, touch the two cables together, reconnect the leads. Using this method you'll have to relearn the express close on the windows and sunroof. Read your owners manual.

Is there an easier way to reset this code?

ddalder
01-15-12, 10:03 AM
Once your fuel cap is tight, you can continue to turn it but you'll feel resistance and hear a clicking noise. If this isn't the case, you need a new cap.

Even following the method mentioned doesn't guarantee the light will go off, but the only other choice (short of using a scan tool) is to leave it alone. If the problem was the cap (and has been now been corrected) the lamp will eventually go out on its own. This assumes there is no further fault detected by the system.

MacMuse
01-15-12, 10:36 AM
If your cap spins freely, then the car will continue to flag the issue and set the SES light. Clearing will only do so for a short time. After you get a working cap, the code will clear on its own after a day or so driving.

At least that's how it went on mine the last time I didn't get the cap on correctly after a recent fill-up.

LiquidTrader
01-16-12, 07:02 PM
It does not tighten at all. It just spins freely making a clicking noise. I know that once you're at full tighten capacity if you keep spinning it will still spin and click but this doesn't have any tighten resistance.

I've had the car about two months and its been mostly like that but has just recently set the SES light. I wonder why it did not from the beginning.