: DTC P0385 Crankshaft Position ??

Roy
11-10-04, 01:27 AM
Code PCM PO385 I think means DTC P0385 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor B Circuit ?

To change or not to change that is the question?

Car is hard to start and stalled for no reason warming up this morning, checked the codes and got " PCM PO385" Looked it up and all could find was "DTC P0385 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor B Circuit" seems to make sense, any you guy,s seen this before, seems to me I had this fixed once before back during the warrenty days... man that was nice.

Help me if you can.

Thanks

Logandiagnostic
11-28-04, 12:40 AM
Change. The early versions had a internal glitch. Replace with a new one and all will be fixed.

Easy to get to from the bottom front once the slash shield is removed.

Logan Diagnostic
www.airbagcrash.com
www.ledfix.com

ipncjh1
12-07-04, 03:16 PM
Does the PO showing circuit B mean the lower crankshaft position sensor, upper, or both?

Thanks
00DTS

00 Deville
12-07-04, 07:33 PM
B is the lower sensor. This is a very common problem on the 2000-2003 Nothstars it is covered under TSB 02-06-04-019 . The good news is the sensors have been redesigned to be more reliable so you should replace both the A and B sensors. The latest GM part number is 12575481 for the upper and 12575482 for the lower crank position sensors.

JimD
12-07-04, 07:49 PM
Anyone know why two part numbers?

Is not a pulse generator a pulse generator?

00 Deville
12-08-04, 09:05 PM
If I were to guess... it would be the length of the sensor. Due to the mounting position one has to reach farther into the engine for the gap inbetween the monopole pickup and crank to be the same.

JimD
12-08-04, 09:35 PM
If I were to guess... it would be the length of the sensor. Due to the mounting position one has to reach farther into the engine for the gap inbetween the monopole pickup and crank to be the same.

I'll buy that. Since both sensors are mounted above the center line of the crank, geometry would demand they have different "reach" for the same signal level.

Looks like I didn't think it through (not a new situation for me).

Thanks.....

ipncjh1
12-14-04, 09:21 AM
Update: I had the lower sensor replaced on my 00 DTS (was getting PO385 current). After that, the car stalled and set the code one more time. It has not happened since (1 week). Keeping my fingers crossed.

Fastone
12-14-04, 04:17 PM
I had both sensor codes so both were replaced two weeks ago and the hard start/ stalling problems are gone. The sensors have keyed connectors and the tips are angled opposite of each other. Each sensor was about $40 so you might want to change both since a few parts need to be removed to get at the sensors.

Fastone
12-14-04, 04:57 PM
I had both sensor codes so both were replaced two weeks ago and the hard start/ stalling problems are gone. The sensors have keyed connectors and the tips are angled opposite of each other. Each sensor was about $40 so you might want to change both since a few parts need to be removed to get at the sensors.

dksob81
10-09-08, 06:24 PM
I am working on a 02 DTS, w/ a code P0385. Where are the CPS located at, and how hard/easy of a job is it. About how long would it take to eplace both CPS'?

Thank You
Joe

Submariner409
10-09-08, 06:33 PM
New model CKP's are made in Japan, one gray, one black. Put the car up on a lift and remove the splash shield (pull the center or each plastic rivet out a quarter inch and pull the rivet). Follow the diagrams. Many, many, many past posts on this. If you had done a search you would be awash in information........:rant2:

The whole job should take less than 2 hours with the proper lift and tools.

If you incur a rough idle after the install you might need to spend a half hour of dealer labor time to have a CKP relearn done, but that isn't likely. (CKP = CranKshaft Position sensor)

Click on your username and update your profile with your car and model/year. Makes subsequent diagnoses easier......

www.rockauto.com or Luke in parts, Lindsay Cadillac, M-F, 9-5, over there ------------->

550HP STSV
03-07-11, 06:31 PM
Dude are you serious. Is b the upper sensor? I just bought and replaced the lower sensor, according to the information here.

Ranger
03-07-11, 10:25 PM
You should always replace both sensors to save time and effort as you'll be doing the other one soon enough.

550HP STSV
03-09-11, 10:56 AM
ended up doing both. now im getting a P0410

Submariner409
03-09-11, 02:00 PM

On what brand and model of car/engine ?? The secondary AIR pump (quick cat lightoff) on a FWD Northstar is usually on the flat just inside the left front fenderwell liner. Some Devilles have two. The number of gray relays clipped to the right strut tower will tell you how many AIR pumps you have.

550HP STSV
03-10-11, 01:31 PM
Hmmm. I have an 03 Deville Base. Any recommendations?

Submariner409
03-10-11, 02:22 PM
Ranger knows............ Unfortunately for him, he has all the details on replacing the AIR pump in a Deville...............

Ranger
03-10-11, 03:15 PM
I replaced my AIR pump last summer. What is it you need to know?

Not positive, but I think only the California cars had 2 pumps.

NHRATA01
03-11-11, 09:51 AM

Not at all related to crank position sensors.

On the front-driver N*'s the CPS's are not even in the vicinity of the AIR pump so I can't imagine you could have disturbed the AIR pump and wiring.