Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Differences of studs vs. Timeserts

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  97EldoCoupe 
#1 ·
have a 93 Allante that needs the HG fix. Can someone give me the differences in using studs (like N* Performance) vs timeserts. Which is preferable
and why. Thanks

#2 ·
Timesert a single cylindrical threaded insert that goes into the block after the bolt hole has been re-tapped. you insert the timesert then the head bolt

Stud is an all in one stud with a large bite into the block, you still retap the bolt hole to accomodate it, slide the head on and torque down via a nut that screws onto the top of the stud.

http://www.northstarperformance.com/sgstuds.php

#3 ·
Four ways to do the block thread repair job:

Jake's (Northstar Performance) studs, washers and nuts.
BigSerts - the follow-on to Timesert - and stock head bolts.
Norm's Inserts (NS300) with stock head bolts.
Norm's Inserts (NS300) with ARP Volkswagen studs, washers and nuts.

#4 ·
Inserts get torqued in just like head bolts and put pressure on the aluminum threads as they are installed, though maybe not as much as the bolts. Jake's studs are installed finger tight so there is no galling of the threads. All the clamping pressure is on the top stud (steel) thread. In theory it is better. In reality I don't know if it makes all that much difference or not. Personally I see no benefit to using inserts and (ARP) studs unless you plan on removing the heads multiple times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.