: 09 CTS-V Engine Misfire

nbf
01-11-12, 11:39 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Last year I traded in my 04 CTS-V for a used 09 CTS-V. So far everything has been amazing, but today a misfire error code showed up. The car runs fine... I wouldn't have known there was an issue if the engine light hadn't turned on. I showed up at the dealer around closing time and my service advisor reset the error code (we checked the car out and it didn't seem to have any obvious mechanical issues).

I'm going to be dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow for warranty work but I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar issue with their V? Is it common?

How could bad this be for the engine?

dironvictorious
01-12-12, 12:41 AM
You should have them check the coil packs. GM got a bunch of bad coils. I had two replaced. Granted, this was on a 2010. I don't know if 2009 cars were effected. You should also check the plugs for any signs of oil, which could represent a more serious problem. You will also see if there is any carbon of fuel build up, which means make drive to drive it more and use a top tier gas or approved engine detergent.

Razorecko
01-12-12, 09:35 AM
a previous vendor stated that there were some bad plugs put into '09's. Your only real way to fix it is to have the dealer pull the plugs and check them. BUT if they will pull the plugs ( couple hour job ) depending on the mileage I would just than have the put in brand new plugs and check the coils/volt check the ignition system

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-12-12, 11:23 AM
I would definitely have them check both of these things out (coils and plugs) just to eliminate them as causes of the issue. Keep us updated.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

nbf
01-12-12, 12:48 PM
The dealer said it's a potential vacuum leak and they're going to reflash my pcm.

tedcmiller
01-12-12, 01:18 PM
My wife's 2008 DTS periodically (twice in 27,000 miles) turns on the "Check Engine" light with no error codes as either current or history. I used a tool to reset the check engine light both times with no further problems. Anything that uses a microprocessor and/or code will occasionally go down a bogus path (or maybe never). The engine computer in Cadillacs has both. I also have a 2009 CTS-V and have never seen a check engine light on it.

nbf
01-12-12, 01:29 PM
My error codes are specifically for misfires.

v05
01-12-12, 02:15 PM
my buddy had 2 bad coils on his 09 v. low miles.

dironvictorious
01-15-12, 04:25 AM
As for vacuum leaks, make sure they check the PCV line that goes into the intake tubing right after MAF sensor. This can pop out.

I would also check plugs for both carbon build up and oil. Again, carbon build up means drive it more/harder and use a top tier gas or GM approved fuel cleaner. Oil could be a more serious problem.

Looks like the coil pack problem includes '09's. I just thought us 10 guys were lucky:)