: Suede Option

twoz28
01-11-12, 10:22 AM
Just curious since I have owned several suede things like shoes and jackets and they always look great when first purchased but after time just turn to homely black. Can anybody speak to the longevity of the suede material.

lilred
01-11-12, 11:25 AM
It's not actual suede it is more like an Alcantara type material. It is awesome and I highly recommend it. Mine is not showing any wear or discoloration after 4 months and 4k miles.

pmsteinm
01-11-12, 12:05 PM
I've had mine since 4/09 and 33k miles. It still looks fine, but I make sure I always wash my hands right before driving since I figured skin oil will ruin it. I clean it every couple weeks with a damp cloth. It does feel very nice and I also highly recommend it.

M5eater
01-11-12, 01:40 PM
It's not actual suede it is more like an Alcantara type material. It is awesome and I highly recommend it. Mine is not showing any wear or discoloration after 4 months and 4k miles.
It's important to mention, this is not acutal alcantara material. It's GM's own material. It does not look matty after long use, and does not knurl up either. It's a perfect compromise over the real thing. I've had acutal alcantara in my S4, the GM stuff is *much* better, it has all of the good looks and feeling with none of the mantiance penalties.

Gary Wells
01-11-12, 01:41 PM
I've got 9K miles on my '09 CTS-V sedan and I love the Alcantra feeling of the steering wheel & the gear shifter handle. I make sure that my hands are clean, dry, & free of hand cream and / or anything that might destroy the replica suede. I also highly recommend it.

Thrill6
01-11-12, 10:15 PM
I have the suede option on my V, and prefer leather. The suede feels to slippery to me and doesn't look as nice. Anyone want to trade their leather steering wheel and shifter for suede PM me. I have a 2010 V, with 12K and both still look new.

Just as a note, GM charges $300 for this option, and the replacement steering wheel and shifter are the exact same cost for leather and suede.

garfin
01-11-12, 10:21 PM
"Alcantara" is an actual brand name. Bottom line is that the fabric is 100% synthetic, as opposed to real animal skin leather/suede.
Think "ultrasuede"...
Mine will be 2 years old next month and I've cleaned it once with a damp sponge and light rubbing. The nap/texture in the areas that had become flattened out on the wheel and shift knob (manual tranny) from use came right back up.
Maintenance is easy-peasy and the feel and grip make it a well-worthwhile option, IMHO.

Best regards,

Elie

M5eater
01-11-12, 10:25 PM
I have the suede option on my V, and prefer leather. The suede feels to slippery to me and doesn't look as nice. Anyone want to trade their leather steering wheel and shifter for suede PM me. I have a 2010 V, with 12K and both still look new.

Just as a note, GM charges $300 for this option, and the replacement steering wheel and shifter are the exact same cost for leather and suede.

yup, not only is it the single option everyone should spend-- it's not over-priced should you decide you want it later. You litertially could just keep buying steering wheels instead of re-wrapping them if/when they wear out too far for your tastes for the price they're going for. I would take a guess post production of the V2 the price will sky-rocket, so *now* is the time to buy!
just to go over here
pros;
none of the maintenance of the real deal
durable
good looking
actually functional
cheap
exclusive-- *none* of the Germans offer it. In fact, I don't think any sedan has a suede wheel option infact.
cons;
may cause bad-assery and aggressive driving.

thebigjimsho
01-12-12, 03:54 PM
An awesome option. Easy swap, too...

keithsm2
01-12-12, 04:00 PM
I have it and not a fan......Long trips i find myself gripping the wheel too tight and hand then cramps up... I would rather the feel of the leather and be able to clean it much easier....Im not sure how clean a damp cloth or sponge rub actually cleans it....

Just my 2 cents

M5eater
01-12-12, 04:13 PM
I have it and not a fan......Long trips i find myself gripping the wheel too tight and hand then cramps up... I would rather the feel of the leather and be able to clean it much easier....Im not sure how clean a damp cloth or sponge rub actually cleans it....

Just my 2 cents

well, you are supposed to use some kinda of cleaner, the object is simply not to soak it in, otherwise it ruins the material. I'm not sure acutally if the GM stuff is the same way in this respect, it might be 'improved upon' in this area.

thebigjimsho
01-12-12, 05:20 PM
Some of yous are weird...

lilred
01-12-12, 08:22 PM
Another bonus to the "non-Alcantara" "non-suede" material is that it seems to stay comfortably temperate whether the temperature is hot or cold.

lunarx
01-19-12, 04:30 AM
...... pros;
none of the maintenance of the real deal
durable
good looking
actually functional
cheap
exclusive-- *none* of the Germans offer it. In fact, I don't think any sedan has a suede wheel option infact.
cons;
may cause bad-assery and aggressive driving.

All true.
However, Germans sedans do offer it.
Alacantra Wheel is part of AMG Power Package.
Although its not full wheel like V.
Perhaps that is lessen the only con.

M5eater
01-19-12, 09:47 AM
All true.
However, Germans sedans do offer it.
Alacantra Wheel is part of AMG Power Package.
Although its not full wheel like V.
Perhaps that is lessen the only con.
you would be correct, my mole-steak. I still feel as though the fact that it's only the steering wheel, it's only part of the wheel and you have to spend $7300 to get it has argument value there.

lunarx
01-19-12, 02:35 PM
Even worse; all that money for a 550hp reflash and 186mph top speed. Then an LSD costs even more on top of that.
All of which is standard on a V.

M5eater
01-19-12, 03:02 PM
Even worse; all that money for a 550hp reflash and 186mph top speed. Then an LSD costs even more on top of that.
All of which is standard on a V.

Well, you could make an argument that the E63 better uses it's 510 and can shift gears/put it to the ground slightly better, and I like having some performance addons. a LSD is not one of them that should be optional though. A 90K+ 500+hp sedan with an open Diff and you're charging me 2K for a lousy 30% locking factor LSD? Why dont I just bend over right now..