: Possible Supercharger for the Cadillac ATS 3.6L

Lord Cadillac
01-10-12, 04:37 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-performance-mods/249401-2008-2011-cadillac-cts-3-6l.html

500hp at the crank in an ATS that weighs 400lbs less than a CTS will make for a very quick car. We just need to wait and see if the supercharger will work okay for the new 3.6L in the 2012.

rand49er
01-10-12, 04:44 PM
Did I see that correctly? 419 rwhp in that Camaro?

The market potential has to be huge with all the 3.6 motors out there. Of course, lots of the those people aren't enthusiasts, but still ...

thebigjimsho
01-11-12, 11:48 AM
So is the TTV6 dead? Sounds like they can't get it right and going with a simpler route...

----------

OK, nevermind. Just read the link. I want FACTORY power, dammit!

Lord Cadillac
01-13-12, 05:21 PM
The only problem is I think torque is a little light compared to the horsepower.

rand49er
01-14-12, 09:23 AM
The only problem is I think torque is a little light compared to the horsepower.Typical.

Too bad they wouldn't do a supercharger, then that wouldn't be an issue.

Lord Cadillac
01-16-12, 04:52 PM
Typical.

Too bad they wouldn't do a supercharger, then that wouldn't be an issue.

How/Why is that?

rand49er
01-16-12, 05:25 PM
How/Why is that?Were you referring to tbjs's comment?

thebigjimsho
01-17-12, 09:52 AM
Were you referring to tbjs's comment?

You need to stop posting so close to me...

----------

BTW, Randy, you going to meet up with us this weekend? Anytime between Friday night and Sunday morning...

Lord Cadillac
01-17-12, 12:29 PM
Were you referring to tbjs's comment?

Why wouldn't torque be a problem with a supercharger as opposed to the turbo?

0AT E03
01-17-12, 12:42 PM
Why wouldn't torque be a problem with a supercharger as opposed to the turbo?

Superchargers have no lag. And even when Turbo's "lack" lag (it's still there just not noticeable) the torque profile on the low end favors supercharger. However on the high end (once they spool up) the torque profile favors a Turbo.

VW tried to solve this with a "Twin Charger" which was a 1.2L (maybe a 1.4L) that was both Super and Turbo charged.

Lord Cadillac
01-17-12, 02:03 PM
Superchargers have no lag. And even when Turbo's "lack" lag (it's still there just not noticeable) the torque profile on the low end favors supercharger. However on the high end (once they spool up) the torque profile favors a Turbo.

VW tried to solve this with a "Twin Charger" which was a 1.2L (maybe a 1.4L) that was both Super and Turbo charged.

Thanks for the explanation. There's a discussion thread about a compound build in the 2009+ CTS-V performance area where a vendor is adding turbo to the supercharger. I wonder if BMWs triple charger will have something combines the two as well.

JimmyH
01-17-12, 08:39 PM
GM was working on a four cylinder that was turbo and super charged. I read about it in popular mechanics a few years ago. That was the last I ever heard about it.

My stepdad's GTI really has no lag at all. It pulls HARD from about 1500 rpm. Of course, it runs out of breath around 5500 rpm, which is about 1000 rpm before redline. First turbo car I have ever driven that gives up high in the rev range and has such tremendous low end torque. And while I am no fan of DSG, those instantaneous shifts do keep the boost going. And they are freakin fast.

rand49er
01-18-12, 09:57 PM
As I said before, I don't follow this stuff closely, but don't some turbos use variable-vane technology in an attempt to maximize both low speed and high speed boost?

0AT E03
01-19-12, 09:52 AM
As I said before, I don't follow this stuff closely, but don't some turbos use variable-vane technology in an attempt to maximize both low speed and high speed boost?

They do. And they are getting better. However no matter what a Supercharger will have more instant torque than a Turbo. Just as an electric motor has more instant torque than a typical gas/diesel motor.

JimmyH
01-19-12, 01:43 PM
I thought that was what biturbo is for.