: Using Spotify & Pandora in the V

digital1021
01-10-12, 01:38 PM
I was wondering if anyone else realized that, using an iPhone, you can stream and control both Spotify and Pandora through the iPod interface...

FLTRI
01-10-12, 04:42 PM
Yup, Pandora is my primary source for music. You can even skip tracks using the dash controls, and you get artist, song and album on the audio menu. Pretty slick.

I let XM expire after the trial was up...

digital1021
01-10-12, 07:17 PM
If only they could get the respective playlists/stations to show up onscreen...

EVIL_C5
01-11-12, 08:03 AM
how is this done thru the interface? i know you can do it with a headphone patch cable, but thru the interface, i thought it only played music on the device because my itunes match library is about 14K songs and it will only play the ones downloaded to my phone.

js615
01-11-12, 12:25 PM
is this true?

LV_V
01-11-12, 02:29 PM
Can you control/view Spotify tracks/playlists from the dash or steering wheel? So you're saying I have tobuy a V AND an iPhone? Lol

digital1021
01-11-12, 02:40 PM
Quicky How-To:

Controls Available:
Spotify: Play/Pause, Next Track, Previous Track, Displays Current Track and Artist
Pandora: Play/Pause, Next Track, Displays Current Track and Artist

Connection To Unit:
For both Spotify and Pandora, you will connect the device to using the supplied USB/3.5mm iPod/iPhone connector.

Spotify:
Load the Spotify app on the phone, select your desired Song/Album/Playlist/Subscription, once the phone starts to play music you can connect it to the car's interface. The current Track and Artist will be displayed on the car's display. To change Playlist/Album/Subscription you will need to do so on the app on the phone. If you disconnect the phone once its begun to play, playback will stop, and resume when you reconnect it to the car. With the exception of if you've used or loaded something that reactivates the phones music or video apps.

If this happens, just restart the app on the phone.

Note: For me at least, Spotify's signal output is lower than the iPhone's native output, so you will need to turn the volume on the stereo up more. In my car, its still plenty loud though.

Pandora:
Load the Pandora app on the phone, select the station that you want to listen to, then connect to the car's interface. You should now see Track and Artist information displayed on the raido's display. Once again to change stations, you will need to use the phone's interface. Pandora is a more hit and miss, in my experience, with regards to reconnecting to the car, say if you grab the phone out when you put gas in, then plug it back in once your done. I find that I have to reselect the station on the phone sometimes.

Once again, if you do something on the phone, that restarts the phones native music or video apps, you will need to restart the app on you phone.

Note: Pandora's output signal is about the same as the output from the native music app, so your good to go here...

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions...

~Matt

----------

Can you control/view Spotify tracks/playlists from the dash or steering wheel? So you're saying I have tobuy a V AND an iPhone? Lol

You can see the current Track and Artist, you can not browse track or playlists. You can change tracks, play and pause the track, and that is about all at this time. However, the radio will pause playback of Spotify and Pandora when a call is made thru bluetooth or Onstar, and resume playback once the call has ended...

LV_V
01-12-12, 02:04 AM
Excellent post. Thanks for the info. Should help a lot of peeps!

digital1021
01-12-12, 04:14 AM
Glad to be of help.

Tedboss1
01-12-12, 10:49 AM
To bad that Spotify and Pandora are not available in Canada.
Apparently Canadian copy rights prevent the music to be provided to Canadians.

TWD3
03-27-13, 11:12 AM
Guys I've got a '13 CTS V Coupe. Using a new iPhone 4S and the supplied apple / mini jack cable I can get Pandora to play when in USB / Front mode however I do not have control of the track and there is zero display info for things like artist, track, station, etc. Any advice on how to get the full function many of you are raving about?

Xaqtly
03-27-13, 12:35 PM
Are you opening the Pandora app on the phone, selecting the station you want and hitting Play BEFORE connecting it to the car? That's the order you have to do it in. Also make sure the car is on before connecting the phone.

TWD3
03-27-13, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes to all yet it still does not work. Any ideas?

IBMike
03-28-13, 02:08 AM
damn... Android is outselling i-stuff; wish companies would get with the program and stop kissing Apples ass. :banghead:

1997BlackETC
03-28-13, 02:30 AM
I know, there is no app to use this V's sound system with a android, I've search high and low. You'd think there would be a app. So for now I just use the 3.5 mm output and make sure to put the music service on a good station.

TWD3
03-28-13, 10:25 AM
I purchased an iPhone 4S specifically for this car so I could change Pandora tracks and stations while driving. Unfortunately it's not working. Could the ios version on my phone be to blame?

By the easy I use an Android on my regular account and much prefer the functionality of its os over Apple. I too wish Android worked w the V infotainment system. Currently Android and iPhone function the same in my V.

AussiePete
03-28-13, 06:18 PM
I've used this fix on other GM cars but as I am still looking for a manual Vagon I can't test myself. Can someone with an Android phone (likely on Jelly Bean or ICS) open system settings, go to Developer options, and enable USB Debugging? Then connect USB and see if you get sound and interface control? If not you'll have to wait for me to find a V and take a crack at writing an app for it. Seems like there's a decent market for it.

1997BlackETC
03-28-13, 08:10 PM
I've used this fix on other GM cars but as I am still looking for a manual Vagon I can't test myself. Can someone with an Android phone (likely on Jelly Bean or ICS) open system settings, go to Developer options, and enable USB Debugging? Then connect USB and see if you get sound and interface control? If not you'll have to wait for me to find a V and take a crack at writing an app for it. Seems like there's a decent market for it.

Nope does not work, that was the first thing I tried was enabling USB Debugging. The message I get on my phone tells me to download Kies and I tried that and it still does not work. I've pretty much run out of ideas, but then again I'm no computer wiz kid. I'd love to see somebody figure someway of getting an andriod to work with this system so I could control the phone streaming audio via the head unit and see songs and titles and artist on the screen. I really debated on getting an iphone just for this reason but I just liked the Galaxy S3 too much plus seems like when I'm streaming music it cuts out and comes on again in certain areas around where I live, drives me bonkers. Only thing I can figure is crappy cell phone towers not able to handle the cell phone traffic so they try to drive people who are streaming crazy so they will think better of it.

TWD3
03-29-13, 01:45 AM
I called GM today for answers as to why I do not have the control of Pandora in AUX on my '13 CTS V. I was eventually transferred to the "Infontainment Department" and learned that the General discontinued support for Pandora / iPhone control in all '13 CTS V's. Any thoughts as to why GM would remove software in the infotainment system for iPhone / Pandora control?

AussiePete
03-29-13, 04:50 AM
I called GM today for answers as to why I do not have the control of Pandora in AUX on my '13 CTS V. I was eventually transferred to the "Infontainment Department" and learned that the General discontinued support for Pandora / iPhone control in all '13 CTS V's. Any thoughts as to why GM would remove software in the infotainment system for iPhone / Pandora control?

"discontinued support" is a fancy way of saying they're just not updating the infotainment system to keep up with iphone IOS. I'm 100% certain if you are still running a older IOS version on an itoy it will still integrate just fine. To me this is one of the biggest issues today in the automotive industry, the should be making these cars with modular, upgrade-able infotainment systems so a brand new car doesn't have system in it from 5 years ago.

TWD3
03-29-13, 10:58 AM
""discontinued support" is a fancy way of saying they're just not updating the infotainment system to keep up with iphone IOS"

Perhaps. I think I'll start a thread asking people to list the iOS versions they're using when playing Pandora. My guess, with CUE in the new ATS and out soon in the new CTS the General wanted to further differentiate the '13 CTSs from next gen ATS and CTS. Having driven an ATS for 4 weeks while my new CTS was at the dealer I can tell you the only good thing about CUE is Pandora Radio support from the cockpit.

Xaqtly
03-29-13, 12:57 PM
I don't use Pandora, but I can say that my '11 V still works fine with my iPhone 5 running the latest iOS. "Discontinuing support" wouldn't cause it to stop working in the '13s, they would have had to intentionally block it from working, and then update the firmware in the head unit of the '13s. I can't think of any reasons why they would intentionally block support for Pandora though, doing that makes no sense.

Part of the issue is that when these units were developed the iPhone had only been out for a year - maybe even less - and Android didn't even exist. I don't believe GM is intentionally making it more difficult, I just think they only had very rudimentary iPhone support because it was a new platform. For that matter I don't think Pandora for iOS existed at that time either. The fact that it works at all is sort of a miracle.

1997BlackETC
03-29-13, 10:51 PM
Maybe try other radios like Slacker or Spotify. I'm surprised to hear the problems with the Iphone, I just assumed the system would work fine and recognize the Iphone.

asilver
06-16-13, 12:48 PM
I just picked up my V and got the iphone specific cable.

when I plug it in I've tried everything in this thread, the system shows "scanning" then it says, the usb is not supported for this device, thoughts?

FLTRI
06-16-13, 01:47 PM
I just picked up my V and got the iphone specific cable.

when I plug it in I've tried everything in this thread, the system shows "scanning" then it says, the usb is not supported for this device, thoughts?

Mine does the same thing, then it plays just fine. Software glitch, I suspect...:hmm:

shchow
06-16-13, 03:05 PM
I use Pandora with my iPhone 4S, which works fine.
The only problem is when I try to skip tracks with the steering wheel controls, it goes out of Pandora and into the music stored on my phone.

Jinx
06-16-13, 06:06 PM
My guess, with CUE in the new ATS and out soon in the new CTS the General wanted to further differentiate the '13 CTSs from next gen ATS and CTS.

Inaction is far more likely than action. Cadillac thinks CUE is awesome and wouldn't go out of their way to decontent pre-CUE vehicles.

No need for conspiracy theories -- don't assume malice when simple incompetence will suffice.

asilver
06-17-13, 10:36 AM
I use Pandora with my iPhone 4S, which works fine.
The only problem is when I try to skip tracks with the steering wheel controls, it goes out of Pandora and into the music stored on my phone.

try going into the ipod music app by double clicking the home screen and killing the app, that should get it to stop exiting pandora and reverting to the ipod music.

----------

Mine does the same thing, then it plays just fine. Software glitch, I suspect...:hmm:

I found a few more posts where other owners have said the ebay cables simply don't work, so I got a refund from them and bought the GM part from amzaon.

PeteK
11-04-13, 03:11 PM
While Pandora and Spotify both work with my Ipod Touch (4G). I get occasional frustrating 'USB COMMUNICATIONS ERROR' messages that pop up, which kicks the selected input over to the radio. I'm trying to understand if this is a software or hardware issue, as I think I've seen it while using the Ipod as a normal Ipod music device and even once while using a USB key inserted directly in the USB connector.

Any reports on this would be very helpful.

Thanks!
-Peter

Xaqtly
11-04-13, 04:53 PM
I see that sometimes too. Unplug device, plug it back in.

PeteK
11-04-13, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the reply, Xactly. The weird thing is that the failures seems to cluster. What I mean is that it will go for a while without getting the error, then I'll have a spate where it will do it every minute or so (or less). I'm trying to figure out if I can correlate it to something.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-05-13, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, Xactly. The weird thing is that the failures seems to cluster. What I mean is that it will go for a while without getting the error, then I'll have a spate where it will do it every minute or so (or less). I'm trying to figure out if I can correlate it to something.

Hello Peter,

If this is a concern that is still persistent and you would like to work with your dealer, please let me know. I can be contacted via private message and am more than happy to help.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

warmwater
03-18-14, 12:47 PM
So whats the deal on this issue controlling Pandora or Other via factory head unit!
Iphone version?
IOS version?
Cables?
This works or not what versions of the CTS-V?

Xaqtly
03-18-14, 01:20 PM
I haven't tried Pandora, but I use Spotify on a regular basis. The same rules apply as for listening to music that's on your phone, since Spotify and Pandora utilize Apple's APIs for music playback on iOS devices.

Step 1: Start playing music on the phone, whether it's Pandora or Spotify or music you loaded onto the phone.
Step 2: Make sure the infotainment system is turned on, then connect the iPhone using the supplied GM cable, if it's an iPhone 5 or 5S you will also need Apple's Lightning adapter. Make sure the GM cable is plugged into BOTH the USB port AND the 1/8" audio jack in the center console.
Step 3: Profit

At this point, at least with Spotify, you will be able to adjust volume and skip tracks using the buttons on the steering wheel. I suspect Pandora works the same way, but I haven't tried it myself.

warmwater
03-18-14, 01:43 PM
Yep it works just tested it with pandora and iphone 4 ios 7, wow I did not know that this would work I went strait to bluetooth.
Thanks for the post.
I still think I am going to mount a Tablet in front of the factory Nav and use split screen and run Pandora / Spotify and Waze at the same time, I will loose the steering wheel controls.