: CTS-V2 Engine Fires?????

8's on a drag radial
01-10-12, 09:16 AM
I have been noticing a strange trend with the 2009-Newer CTS-V's.

Below are pics of 2 recent cars I found. There is a third in Miami that has no pictures yet.

All of these cars are currently at insurance auctions:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/timneagroup/CTS-V/2009CTS-VSedanBurn-3.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/timneagroup/CTS-V/2009CTS-VSedanBurn-2.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/timneagroup/CTS-V/2009CTS-VSedanBurn-1.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/timneagroup/CTS-V/2009CTS-VSedanBurn-4.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/timneagroup/CTS-V/2011WagonBurn-2.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/timneagroup/CTS-V/2011WagonBurn-1.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/timneagroup/CTS-V/2011WagonBurn-4.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/timneagroup/CTS-V/2011WagonBurn-3.jpg

M5eater
01-10-12, 09:19 AM
I'm sure you could find similar damage to just about any new car honestly. It's not heated headlamp washers though.. The CTS-V's never had them. Those look like the fire is comming from the front-end more than the engine bay, which makes me think front-end collision.

The first one is from 09 per the copyright... are you sure that picture isn't 4 years old?

Mystical_Ice
01-10-12, 09:42 AM
If it's four years old, it still happened to an 09 V, which i think was his point :)
Whether it burned up in 2008 or in 2012, it still burned up :)

M5eater
01-10-12, 09:48 AM
If it's four years old, it still happened to an 09 V, which i think was his point :)
Whether it burned up in 2008 or in 2012, it still burned up :)

I thought his point was that he was noticing a new trend. Cars catch on fire when they're crashed, and sometimes when an idiot wires HID's into his fogs. Nothing particular (or new) to the V there :)

8's on a drag radial
01-10-12, 10:24 AM
My point was not related to crashes, but simply that I watch the insurance auctions very closely and it seemed to me that as of lately there have been a number of non-crashed car fires. I'm making no accusations, just mentioning what I have noticed lately.

BTW I am current owner of a 1st Gen CTS-V and plan to buy a Gen 2 CTS-V in the spring.

M5eater
01-10-12, 10:42 AM
My point was not related to crashes, but simply that I watch the insurance auctions very closely and it seemed to me that as of lately there have been a number of non-crashed car fires. I'm making no accusations, just mentioning what I have noticed lately.

BTW I am current owner of a 1st Gen CTS-V and plan to buy a Gen 2 CTS-V in the spring.

It's interesting, I don't think we've heard of any problems here. 2-3 over the course of a few years would seem within normal parameters. isolated problems sometimes don't surface in recalls or TSB if they're isolated enough. It would appear that's what's happening here. I know an Arson investigator, I'll have him look at them for us, maybe he can make some conclusions. Do you have any other pictures aside from these?

GM-4-LIFE
01-10-12, 03:44 PM
If a new car catches fire on it's own, why would your insurance company have to pick up the tab? Wouldn't the manufacturer have to step in and replace the car due to faulty design?

hutch66
01-10-12, 10:13 PM
Cars just don't catch on fire. All the fires are in roughly the same area. There's definitly an issue here.

M5eater
01-11-12, 06:40 AM
per my friend. The wagon one looks like it started in the air cleaner area.. the sedan looks uniform across the front-end. Possibly a set fire.

There's definitly an issue here.
I think you're jumping to conclusions. There's nothing unique to the CTS-V on the front of the vehicle, except the extra heat exchangers. besides the fact that 2 cars out of 15K does not constitute a problem, you're neither qualified or capable of making any determinations from these pictures. My fire arson investigator friend had to essentially guess just because these things are difficult to determine by pictures of this quality alone.

8's on a drag radial
01-11-12, 09:55 AM
IAAI posted pics of the car in Miami that was listed as a burn.....it was involved in a collision first.

hutch66
01-11-12, 11:30 AM
per my friend. The wagon one looks like it started in the air cleaner area.. the sedan looks uniform across the front-end. Possibly a set fire.

I think you're jumping to conclusions. There's nothing unique to the CTS-V on the front of the vehicle, except the extra heat exchangers. besides the fact that 2 cars out of 15K does not constitute a problem, you're neither qualified or capable of making any determinations from these pictures. My fire arson investigator friend had to essentially guess just because these things are difficult to determine by pictures of this quality alone.

Please don't jump to conclusions on what I'm capable or qualifeid on just looking at my post count. Iv'e been working on cars since I was 10 years old. I'm 45 now. Iv'e raced amatuer open wheel for 15 years in open wheel doing everything from engine, tranny, diff re-builds to rebuilding the entire car(s). String alignments, remeber those? Not to mention working on Lola Indy car(s). I have some intricate repairs videos on youtube on the E46 M3 a which till this day I get emails thanking me. A car which was almost entirily rebuilt by me. So please, my opinion is my opinion not for you to question my abilities or my capabilities. Sorry for my resume but jeez.

M5eater
01-11-12, 11:38 AM
Please don't jump to conclusions on what I'm capable or qualifeid on just looking at my post count. Iv'e been working on cars since I was 10 years old. I'm 45 now. Iv'e raced amatuer open wheel for 15 years in open wheel doing everything from engine, tranny, diff re-builds to rebuilding the entire car(s). String alignments, remeber those? Not to mention working on Lola Indy car(s). I have some intricate repairs videos on youtube on the E46 M3 a which till this day I get emails thanking me. A car which was almost entirily rebuilt by me. So please, my opinion is my opinion not for you to question my abilities or my capabilities. Sorry for my resume but jeez.
I didn't say anything about post count, no one in this thread is qualified to make calls on something like this. 30+ year Arson Investigator trumps your resume sir. When you make blanket negative statements such as that you should expect a response.

mberisha
01-11-12, 02:59 PM
Maybe this one will catch on fire..................

http://thejustinbiebershrine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/justin-bieber-cadillac-gtsv-coupe.jpg

baabootoo
01-13-12, 11:55 PM
There's nothjing flammable up front to burn, is there? I'm going to go out on a limb, and say they caught fire AFTER their collision, and the first cars gas did it. You know, crash, smash, gas tank lights up, and burns both cars.

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-14-12, 08:07 AM
I must be becoming sadistic....I'm thinking about what parts are still OK for use.... Damn junkyard dog!

M5eater
01-14-12, 08:45 AM
I must be becoming sadistic....I'm thinking about what parts are still OK for use.... Damn junkyard dog!

the recaros in the vagon are still good ;)

09V
01-29-12, 06:20 PM
If a new car catches fire on it's own, why would your insurance company have to pick up the tab? Wouldn't the manufacturer have to step in and replace the car due to faulty design?

A friend of mine who owned a Saturn that was prone to catching fire due to a power steering pump leak had his car go up in flames. GM claimed that by the time their investigator got a hold of the pics and details it was too late to make an in person visit to the remains in order to get "quality" evidence to determine whether it was a faulty vehicle or not. Even with a past as clouded as this particular vehicle GM refused him anything. His insurance had to eat it and subsequently all of his belongings in the vehicle that were trashed fell under home owners and he lost everything because as most of you may know in order to make a claim on homeowners there is a percentage of the homes value that is your deductible. In the end his $2500 set of golf clubs and a 2 year old car along with over $10,000 in prosthetics were toast and GM claimed no responsibility.

This vehicle was completely stock by the way and only maintained by a GM dealer since it was new.

Weezie4513
03-21-14, 05:30 PM
We had a 2003 CTS that some how caught on fire after being parked in our garage for 6 hours. Needless to say, our garage went up in flames and we lost everything. The fire investigators all claim it was the car.
Like I said, the car had been parked in the garage for HOURS. Anyone have any input on how this could have happened?

V-Horse
03-21-14, 05:45 PM
Huh? Did you do any wiring yourself, like install fog lights or anything like that? Your CTS must of came with the optional automatic garage fire starting kit...

neuronbob
03-21-14, 06:14 PM
We had a 2003 CTS that some how caught on fire after being parked in our garage for 6 hours. Needless to say, our garage went up in flames and we lost everything. The fire investigators all claim it was the car.
Like I said, the car had been parked in the garage for HOURS. Anyone have any input on how this could have happened?

Welcome to the forum! You are posting in the wrong section. You need to ask folks in the 1G CTS section. Link here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003

HTH!

03-21-14, 08:07 PM
that'll buff right out

spearfish25
03-21-14, 09:27 PM
as most of you may know in order to make a claim on homeowners there is a percentage of the homes value that is your deductible. In the end his $2500 set of golf clubs and a 2 year old car along with over $10,000 in prosthetics were toast and GM claimed no responsibility.'

Um, no. I don't know. My deductible is $1,000, not a percentage of my home's value. Perhaps it's time to get a new carrier. Or you have an inexpensive plan for catastrophe only.

neuronbob
03-21-14, 09:44 PM
My deductible is $1000 as well, not a percentage of my home's value. I agree with spearfish, you need a different insurer.

M5eater
03-22-14, 11:09 AM
My deductible is $1000 as well, not a percentage of my home's value. I agree with spearfish, you need a different insurer.
Not necessarily, he should talk to his agent first. Most insurers will sell you whatever you want, it's a matter of what kind of premium you want to pay for. Insurance is a tricky thing and a lot of people are only interested in their annual payment.

Percentage of home value deductible will result in a lower premium. $1K Deductible will increase your premium.

neuronbob
03-22-14, 11:31 AM
I should have said "insurer or plan".

gohawks63
03-22-14, 01:36 PM
Not necessarily, he should talk to his agent first. Most insurers will sell you whatever you want, it's a matter of what kind of premium you want to pay for. Insurance is a tricky thing and a lot of people are only interested in their annual payment.

Percentage of home value deductible will result in a lower premium. $1K Deductible will increase your premium.

I agree. Most people shop on price alone without doing any research on what is covered. You are after all insuring your most expensive assets.

Then when people have a claim they're upset by what isn't covered.

M5eater
03-22-14, 02:13 PM
I agree. Most people shop on price alone without doing any research on what is covered. You are after all insuring your most expensive assets.

Then when people have a claim they're upset by what isn't covered.
You 100% get what you pay for, some of the more expensive carriers like Chub or even USAA bend over backwards to protect their policy holders even if there's a minor policy violation. The same can not be said for the cheaper ones or even some of the big ones like SnakeFarm (statefarm) . The problem is that customer service and what your policy does or does not cover like that is hard to shop for.

I should have said "insurer or plan".
Yeah, I'm in the industry, just wanted to add my thoughts.

Trapspeed
03-22-14, 02:21 PM
With any aftermarket warranty, careful with shocks. Usually not covered.