: Should I Buy New or Used?

DaddyBarlow
01-09-12, 03:03 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I would like to find something that is fun and fast that has 4-doors. I have a Lingenfelter C06 Z06 that I use a lot in the summer.

I'm looking for a CTS-V Sedan, Automatic in White or Gray. The main problem I'm having is deciding if I should go with a New car or a Used car with low miles. I live in the Detroit area and the dealers I spoke to are not dicounting thier 2012 models much. But at the same time the used 2010 & 2011 models all seem to have high asking prices.

I plan on keeping this one stock, so I would like to find one with a lot of warrenty left on it.

Also, does anybody know what the going prices on Brand New 2011 sedans are selling for at the dealerships?

Any input would be welcomed!

Thanks, Mike

smackdownCTSV
01-09-12, 03:38 PM
Personal preference. You should be able to get a good deal on a new leftover 2011 now. But to me, the $20K+ savings over new was worth buying used. It also took me a couple months of hard searching to find it. So don't expect to find it next week.

M5eater
01-09-12, 03:43 PM
I would imagine 2011 inventory is limited right now, and since there have been less than a handfull of changes from 09 to 12, I would expect they fetch nearly the same as the 2012s.

Personally, these cars are holding onto their resale value well, and in some cases even appreciating a bit due to the used market demand for them. Unlike a 6 figure E63 or soon F10 M5 that seem to drop significantly off the lot and then keep dropping-- 4 year old V2's have consistiantly retained 66-70% of their value. If it were me, I'd buy new. If you just want a smoking used car deal, loaded 09 E60's go for 50K these days, or ~ $50K off MSRP, or you could buy an older one for little more than a decently equipped taurus.

DaddyBarlow
01-09-12, 04:14 PM
I would imagine 2011 inventory is limited right now, and since there have been less than a handfull of changes from 09 to 12, I would expect they fetch nearly the same as the 2012s.

Personally, these cars are holding onto their resale value well, and in some cases even appreciating a bit due to the used market demand for them. Unlike a 6 figure E63 or soon F10 M5 that seem to drop significantly off the lot and then keep dropping-- 4 year old V2's have consistiantly retained 66-70% of their value. If it were me, I'd buy new. If you just want a smoking used car deal, loaded 09 E60's go for 50K these days, or ~ $50K off MSRP, or you could buy an older one for little more than a decently equipped taurus.

Thanks for the input. I owned an E46 M3 when they first came out and I don't think I'd ever buy another SMG (AMT) transmision again. It was really clunky and shifted poorly unless you were driving at WOT. I would perfer a twin-clutch transmission like the one in the F10 M5 or the current M3. I'm not real fond of trantional automatic tranmissions, but I've heard pretty good things about the 6L90 transmission...plus having a nice shifting auto trans is a plus as a daily-driver.

M5eater
01-09-12, 04:29 PM
The 6L90E is as good as a performance automatic can get with a traditional torque converter. It's no 100ms shifter, but it's faster than the tremec, and sport mode is pretty good at anticipating the required gear. The only area it lacks is it's manual mode, which if you're comming from a twin clutch or audi S-tronic trans, you'll find dissapointing. Unlike those transmissions though, a tune for it is cheap and really wakes it up from what I've read.

thebigjimsho
01-09-12, 11:11 PM
Try to find a good leftover and see of you can get 0% financing. Best case scenario in my book...

lilred
01-10-12, 11:37 AM
I usually buy used to save money, but I was finding that most of the used V's didn't have that significant of a discount. I was also looking for one with NO SUNROOF which I could not find. I ended up buying new and am happy I did. If you can find a used car that has the options/color package you want and its bargain priced go for it. I suspect you will have trouble finding that though. I will say there are a lot of low mileage V's out there. I mean less than 5k and in some instances even 1k. I couldn't figure out if people bought them to drive for one month or if they were demos or just didn't get driven that much. I daily drive mine!

smackdownCTSV
01-10-12, 12:37 PM
I usually buy used to save money, but I was finding that most of the used V's didn't have that significant of a discount. I was also looking for one with NO SUNROOF which I could not find. I ended up buying new and am happy I did. If you can find a used car that has the options/color package you want and its bargain priced go for it. I suspect you will have trouble finding that though. I will say there are a lot of low mileage V's out there. I mean less than 5k and in some instances even 1k. I couldn't figure out if people bought them to drive for one month or if they were demos or just didn't get driven that much. I daily drive mine!

Some don't like the quality or lack thereof, others lease or just get a car every year, demo, or want more/less power. When I was looking, a lot of used CTS-V's were on luxury dealership lots; BMW, Infiniti, Merc.

DaddyBarlow
01-10-12, 02:01 PM

That's what I'm finding out too. I know there WERE some really good rebates/incentives last year on brand new cars...if that happens again I might consider buying new. But, I'd also be real happy buying a 2010 for few thousand ($2k-$4K) over dealer trade-in from a private owner.

I too, would like to find a CTS-V with no sunroof. I'm really tall and I'd be happy with the extra headroom. When I bought my E46 BMW M3, I had to order new to get the car I wanted with no sunroof. I think a non-sunroof car may hurt the resale value a touch...but at least I'd be more comfortable.

----------

Some don't like the quality or lack thereof, others lease or just get a car every year, demo, or want more/less power. When I was looking, a lot of used CTS-V's were on luxury dealership lots; BMW, Infiniti, Merc.

I see the same thing with corvettes. I do think some people get real nervous with having a $70K+ car in the garage and may have some buyer's remorse. I know there are a lot of corvette owners that have a hard time justify having large car payments after the fact. In my case, I just want to enjoy driving the car hard and not be real concerned about resale value and such... Plus everything I have read and heard about the CTS-V is very positive...which I assume is one of the factors that helps keep the used CTS-V prices up. I think the CTS-V is the best value for an ultra hi-performance sedan...new or used.

lilred
01-10-12, 04:22 PM
...snipped...
I too, would like to find a CTS-V with no sunroof. I'm really tall and I'd be happy with the extra headroom. When I bought my E46 BMW M3, I had to order new to get the car I wanted with no sunroof. I think a non-sunroof car may hurt the resale value a touch...but at least I'd be more comfortable.[COLOR="Silver"]

I'm tall too 6'6" and had to have that last inch of headroom to make this car work, or I was going to go Jag XFR or Porsche 911 Turbo S. I couldn't give a rat about resale value. I'm going to have this car for a long time.

ReaperV
01-10-12, 11:32 PM
I looked for a bit and ended buying used. I always buy new but it was hard to turn down saving $20k. Now if you do some looking you pay anything close to full price, but not $20k. I had a deal on a 2011 Wagon with everything ($73k) at $62k. when I went in to close the deal someone offered $67k. I walked away and got my 2009 with 16k miles for $51k. Certified, white diamond, recaros, auto. Other then a service issue with the dealer I've been very happy. I'll never buy from this dealer again, but I love the car.

hutch66
01-11-12, 02:46 AM
I found and went to look at two used ones the dealer had. MartinCadillac in Santa Monica, CA. One had no sunroof. But when the dealer offerd me 0% financing on a brand new2011, the choice was simple. Difference in payments is $30.00 a month. Which one would you go for?

smackdownCTSV
01-11-12, 01:38 PM
I found and went to look at two used ones the dealer had. MartinCadillac in Santa Monica, CA. One had no sunroof. But when the dealer offerd me 0% financing on a brand new2011, the choice was simple. Difference in payments is $30.00 a month. Which one would you go for?

Exactly. There you go. Anybody would pay an extra $30 for new. That's only a couple thousand.

Dogbreath
01-11-12, 02:44 PM
I always buy used. Haven't bought a new car since 1993. In Dec. I bought Mrs. DB a 2009 V with less than 2100 miles on it and a 100k warranty for well under $50k. Just like a new car only freshly serviced. The only thing that it didn't have that I would have liked is a Nav system. BFD. If you go used, you have to be willing to take what is available which may not exactly match your want.

tinman
01-11-12, 02:54 PM
If you are looking for a leftover '11, try the Caddy website. Contact them and talk by telephone or email and have them run a nationwide search for you.

smackdownCTSV
01-11-12, 03:12 PM
I always buy used. Haven't bought a new car since 1993. In Dec. I bought Mrs. DB a 2009 V with less than 2100 miles on it and a 100k warranty for well under $50k. Just like a new car only freshly serviced. The only thing that it didn't have that I would have liked is a Nav system. BFD. If you go used, you have to be willing to take what is available which may not exactly match your want.

Agreed. I'd only buy new if it was a leftover and the difference in payments between it and used is more than a few thousand.

thebigjimsho
01-12-12, 03:47 PM

No debate here...

Mystical_Ice
01-13-12, 01:16 AM
I've always bought used too. Used to be because I couldn't afford new, but now I just like keeping the extra money in my bank account...

Especially with a higher-ticket car like the V, I just can't justify paying $72,000 for a car that I can (and did) get for $50,000, with 4k miles and one year old.

GM-4-LIFE
01-13-12, 11:56 AM
Have you tried Les Stanford Cadillac in Dearborn? I got my last 4 Cadillacs there and I dealt with James Quinn. He got me a pretty good deal. Try him and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

BWhite58
01-14-12, 05:25 PM
I am searching for a 2011 V Coupe in MA . I am finding the price between new leftover vs certified maybe only a couple thousand dollars . This sound right ? On the leftover I can use 3K in GM card points and 1K ownership loyalty and get 0%