: Cadillac ATS Delivers New Levels of Control and Refinement

Lord Cadillac
01-09-12, 12:44 PM
Driving experience tuned for quick, nimble performance on the road or track

DETROIT – The 2013 Cadillac ATS delivers a driving experience that advances the brand’s performance legacy with a balance of racetrack-honed control and uncompromising refinement.

That experience is supported by new chassis and suspension systems, excellent power-to-weight ratios across ATS’s power-dense powertrain lineup and a robust body structure that enables finer chassis tuning and greater crash protection. Highlights of the chassis and suspension features include:

- Cadillac’s first five-link independent rear suspension, using high-strength steel and efficient straight link designs
- A multi-link, double-pivot MacPherson-strut front suspension with direct-acting stabilizer bar
- Driver-adjustable FE3 sport suspension with Magnetic Ride Control real-time damping
- Premium electric variable-effort steering gear by ZF Steering Systems
- Four-channel ABS with available Brembo performance brakes
- Available all-wheel drive.

Before selecting even the first fastener, engineers launched targeted research projects that helped determine the best design and optimal geometries for the front and rear suspensions. Early suspension prototype vehicles were constructed and tested in diverse environments, before complete ATS prototypes hit the pavement at GM’s global proving grounds, as well as highways and racetracks around the world.

Read more... (http://cadillacmagazine.com/2012/01/09/ats-delivers-new-levels-of-control-and-refinement/)

0AT E03
01-09-12, 01:20 PM
I still think they botched the front end suspension design. But that's just my personal opinion.

Lord Cadillac
01-09-12, 06:37 PM
I still think they botched the front end suspension design. But that's just my personal opinion.

What makes you say that?

0AT E03
01-09-12, 07:11 PM
What makes you say that?

The problems they have tuning it for road feel. I'm sure it will be right in some ways, but wrong in others. It's no BMW front end that's for sure.

M5eater
01-09-12, 07:17 PM
Electric power steering? I thought I saw on their facebook that it was still belt-driven.

The problems they have tuning it for road feel. I'm sure it will be right in some ways, but wrong in others. It's no BMW front end that's for sure.
interesting since the CTS by many has better front-end bite than the 5 series, and the F10 has gone even softer than that.

0AT E03
01-09-12, 09:43 PM
Electric power steering? I thought I saw on their facebook that it was still belt-driven.

interesting since the CTS by many has better front-end bite than the 5 series, and the F10 has gone even softer than that.

It's a Belt-Drive EPS. EPS has three types. Column mounted (like a Cobalt), Dual Pinion where a second pinion is on the rack and attached to a worm wheel that has a motor with a worm gear on it (Cruze, Volt), and Belt Drive where the motor on the rack is connected to the rack by a belt that spins a Recirculating Ball Unit (all the new BMWs).

If you put 2 + 2 together you'll figure out how I know all that....

This is GM's first 5-link and I don't think they are experts at getting the feel they got from the double A-arm.

M5eater
01-09-12, 09:52 PM
It's a Belt-Drive EPS. EPS has three types. Column mounted (like a Cobalt), Dual Pinion where a second pinion is on the rack and attached to a worm wheel that has a motor with a worm gear on it (Cruze, Volt), and Belt Drive where the motor on the rack is connected to the rack by a belt that spins a Recirculating Ball Unit (all the new BMWs).

If you put 2 + 2 together you'll figure out how I know all that....

This is GM's first 5-link and I don't think they are experts at getting the feel they got from the double A-arm.
It may be their first 5 link, but they also spent the better part of a decade on it.

thank's for the EPS descriptions. I sort of assumed that all EPS was simply an electric pump driven PS system instead of being belt driven. Interesting.

thebigjimsho
01-09-12, 10:56 PM
Nothing a test drive won't determine...

JimmyH
01-10-12, 03:47 PM
- A multi-link, double-pivot MacPherson-strut front suspension with direct-acting stabilizer bar

FAIL :nono:

not as excited about the ATS as I was a few minutes ago

M5eater
01-10-12, 04:20 PM

not as excited about the ATS as I was a few minutes ago
it's acutally an SLA system, technically it's a dual piviot system where a macPherson is a single piviot . It's a pretty neat suspension system. Granted some of it's inherant advantages are useless in a RWD application(reducing torque steer), but presumably the ATS will come in AWD application as well.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f74/2011-buick-lacrosse-cxs-suspension-walkaround-104376/
You're getting all the advantages of an unequal legnth double wishbone suspension without the use of a top wishbone and associated hardware. Saves GM $$ and provides a superior system. I wouldn't be surprised if it completly replaces traditional double wishbone or A-arm MacPherson style

JimmyH
01-10-12, 04:47 PM
If it keeps the front wheels composed in turns (unlike my strut-laden Camaro) I will eat my words.

M5eater
01-10-12, 04:59 PM
If it keeps the front wheels composed in turns (unlike my strut-laden Camaro) I will eat my words.

There is zero strut movement lock to lock

thebigjimsho
01-11-12, 12:46 PM

not as excited about the ATS as I was a few minutes agoYou need to calm the p00p™ down...