: Cadillac ATS Sheds Weight, Gains Agility and Efficiency

Lord Cadillac
01-09-12, 11:41 AM
Thinking light helped engineers make the ATS lighter than European competitors

DETROIT – From the very outset of development, engineers focused on making the Cadillac ATS one of the lightest cars in the compact luxury segment. Its curb weight of less than 3,400 pounds (1,542 kg) is a key contributor to a world-class driving experience and helps make the new sport sedan more efficient.

An aluminum hood, magnesium engine mount brackets and even lightweight, natural-fiber door trim panels contribute to the ATS’s low overall mass – and reflect the systematic approach of evaluating every ounce that goes into the car.

“Low weight helps enable the ATS’s driving experience, making it feel more nimble and controllable,” said Dave Masch, ATS chief engineer. “Mass efficiency helps the car respond more immediately and precisely to driver input, and improves fuel efficiency.”

Discipline to mass efficiency was a driving force in the development of the ATS. The engineers and designers stayed true to the performance goals and desired driving character. The development team’s culture was also instrumental, as everyone from engineers to suppliers and leadership kept mass as a primary consideration.

“We thought about grams, not pounds, and looked at how even the smallest of changes could contribute to the overall mass goal,” said Masch.

Load and space management – what engineers and mathematicians call topology – was applied during the design of the car’s structure. That helped ensure mass efficiency was built into the very foundation of this all-new architecture. Advanced computational development helped determine the most efficient design, emphasizing strength and stiffness via the use of high-tech materials. High-strength steel (HSS) and ultra-high-strength steel (UHSS) are used most effectively to reduce mass and optimize crash protection.

The ATS features UHSS in areas such as cross-vehicle beams around the “safety cage” of the body structure.

Compared to conventional steel used in most body structures, the yield and tensile strength of HSS is about four times better, while UHSS – which can include boron steel – is up to four times stronger than high-strength steel. That allows these strategic parts to be made of thinner gauges for reduced weight, while still offering the same – or greater – strength of bulkier structures made of conventional steel.

Read more... (http://cadillacmagazine.com/2012/01/09/cadillac-ats-sheds-weight-gains-agility-and-efficiency/)

TheCaptain
01-09-12, 08:14 PM
Light, nimble, fast. And that's not even the V Series!

V Series... where art thou? :D

rand49er
01-09-12, 09:24 PM
That 6.2L, 470 hp motor, if installed, should make this little car quite competitive.

I can feel that 6-spd manual in my right hand already.

thebigjimsho
01-09-12, 09:59 PM
I had always thought an ATS-V would be "nice", but it has the potential to eclipse the CTS-V in performance...

corvette00
01-10-12, 01:09 PM
will it come in awd

rand49er
01-10-12, 04:38 PM
will it come in awdI've read only with the AT, and the AT won't come with the 2.0T, so AWD only with the 2.5 and the 3.6.

Then, I read the AWD will come with the 2.0T.

I guess the dust hasn't quite settled yet.

0AT E03
01-10-12, 04:53 PM
I've read only with the AT, and the AT won't come with the 2.0T, so AWD only with the 2.5 and the 3.6.

Then, I read the AWD will come with the 2.0T.

I guess the dust hasn't quite settled yet.

Looks like they added AWD to the auto 2.0T. No AWD on the 2.5L, never was. But there is no Manual with AWD. Also with AWD you get the FE2 suspension and a different (slower) steering rack.

If you want a sporty version of this car, stay away from the AWD like poison. AWD is for the luxury drivers not the sport drivers. FE3 + 2.0T + Manual is the only way to get this car.

The V will not have AWD.

Lord Cadillac
01-10-12, 11:06 PM
I had always thought an ATS-V would be "nice", but it has the potential to eclipse the CTS-V in performance...

The ATS-V isn't getting a V8. It's getting a twin turbo V6. I'm 100% positive on that. If I'm wrong, than I'm 100% wrong. But I'm going with my source and I'm sticking with it. The ATS-V is not getting, nor does it need, a V8.

thebigjimsho
01-11-12, 11:51 AM
The ATS-V isn't getting a V8. It's getting a twin turbo V6. I'm 100% positive on that. If I'm wrong, than I'm 100% wrong. But I'm going with my source and I'm sticking with it. The ATS-V is not getting, nor does it need, a V8.Why are you quoting me like you're smacking me down? I'm assuming whether it was a V8 or TTV6, at its weight point, it won't need 556hp to eclipse CTS-V performance...

RippyPartsDept
01-11-12, 12:26 PM
always a year late to the dance Cap'n ... expect the V for the 2013 model year

corvette00
01-11-12, 02:09 PM
I saw the ATS in person today at the Detroit Auto Show. I was never a big CTS fan as I always drove STS's until my present Escalade, but I really like this car. I think it actually steals the show from the XTS.

rand49er
01-11-12, 05:24 PM
The ATS-V isn't getting a V8. It's getting a twin turbo V6. I'm 100% positive on that. If I'm wrong, than I'm 100% wrong. But I'm going with my source and I'm sticking with it. The ATS-V is not getting, nor does it need, a V8.JD03Cobra's cousin was testing one with the TT V6, wasn't he? That would fit, then.

Personally, I could go either way PROVIDED the power is there. Low 400s at a minimum.

... expect the V for the 2013 model yearWait ... what? What happened to 2016MY? I haven't saved enough, yet! :banghead:

0AT E03
01-11-12, 07:46 PM
always a year late to the dance Cap'n ... expect the V for the 2013 model year

I'm thinking more like 2015 or 2016. There will probably be some time before you see a V. This car has a long shelf life. My guess? 2019.

M5eater
01-11-12, 07:58 PM
Light, nimble, fast. And that's not even the V Series!

sorry.. just noticed the avatar.. how pumped are you for ME3?

----------

I'm thinking more like 2015 or 2016. There will probably be some time before you see a V. This car has a long shelf life. My guess? 2019.
I wouldn't be surprised. the E60 was a 7 MY vehicle, the E90 will go down as a 6 MY vehicle, they seem to last a good long time these days.

RippyPartsDept
01-12-12, 11:55 AM

Interesting... good to know, I guess

... do you know anything or have you heard anything about an XTS-V ??

0AT E03
01-12-12, 01:39 PM
Interesting... good to know, I guess

... do you know anything or have you heard anything about an XTS-V ??

I seriously doubt an XTS-V. I wouldn't expect anything new from V prior to the next batch of cars due around 2015 or 2016.

TheCaptain
01-13-12, 11:53 AM
sorry.. just noticed the avatar.. how pumped are you for ME3?[COLOR="Silver"]

Psyched! It should be the best game ever! I've had a Collector Edition pre-ordered for almost 4 months now! :D

Rippy, don't you mean '14 MY for the V? That would make it one MY after intro... ;)

RippyPartsDept
01-13-12, 12:55 PM
yeah... i guess if the ATS is going to be a summer release as a 2013...

Lord Cadillac
01-13-12, 05:19 PM
Why are you quoting me like you're smacking me down?

What are you talking about?

Personally, I could go either way PROVIDED the power is there. Low 400s at a minimum.

I'm not sure by how MUCH but the 3.0 TT V6 will be over 400 horsepower...

thebigjimsho
01-14-12, 08:16 PM

The ATS-V isn't getting a V8. It's getting a twin turbo V6. I'm 100% positive on that. If I'm wrong, than I'm 100% wrong. But I'm going with my source and I'm sticking with it. The ATS-V is not getting, nor does it need, a V8.

Why are you quoting me like you're smacking me down? I'm assuming whether it was a V8 or TTV6, at its weight point, it won't need 556hp to eclipse CTS-V performance...

What are you talking about?

What are you talking about? I said the ATS-V has the potential to eclipse the V2 in performance. I never said a thing about how much power or how it would be powered. Absolute power does not always dictate performance, especially when weight and handling are included...

Lord Cadillac
01-15-12, 01:06 PM
What are you talking about? I said the ATS-V has the potential to eclipse the V2 in performance. I never said a thing about how much power or how it would be powered. Absolute power does not always dictate performance, especially when weight and handling are included...

Ahh, I see what happened. I quoted the wrong post. I intended to quote the one above yours:

That 6.2L, 470 hp motor, if installed, should make this little car quite competitive.
Sorry for the confusion...

thebigjimsho
01-15-12, 10:46 PM
Ahh, I see what happened. I quoted the wrong post. I intended to quote the one above yours:

Sorry for the confusion...lulz.

I was wonderin' what happened. No biggie...

Lord Cadillac
01-16-12, 04:09 PM
lulz.

I was wonderin' what happened. No biggie...

I owe you a Baby Guinness when I see you up north - if you do that sort of thing... :p
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/110/302950797_c27cec8eab.jpg

RippyPartsDept
01-16-12, 04:23 PM
just to be clear.. there's no Guinness in there at all ... but doesn't it look like a baby guinness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Guinness) ??

Lord Cadillac
01-16-12, 04:53 PM
just to be clear.. there's no Guinness in there at all ... but doesn't it look like a baby guinness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Guinness) ??

Yes. And it certainly tastes good. :)

rand49er
01-16-12, 05:18 PM
Poor tbjs. Blamed for a quote I did.

Back on subject, I'm with JimmyH. I'm starting to get used to the idea of a TTV6.

thebigjimsho
01-17-12, 09:49 AM
I owe you a Baby Guinness when I see you up north - if you do that sort of thing... :p

Mmmm, baby Guinness...

JimmyH
01-17-12, 08:44 PM
For the record, I am only really getting used to the idea of TTV6 because I am assuming it brings with it better fuel economy. I am getting a little tired of spending $400 per month on gas.

rand49er
01-17-12, 09:13 PM
For the record, I am only really getting used to the idea of TTV6 because I am assuming it brings with it better fuel economy. I am getting a little tired of spending $400 per month on gas.That's what bothered me about the V2 ... not that the V1 gets stellar FE, but the V2 has to go downhill to break into the 20s. That would stink.

Dang, Jimmy .... $400 a month is half a car payment!

thebigjimsho
01-18-12, 06:59 AM
I do about $400 in a full week...

M5eater
01-18-12, 08:42 AM

you know, those things don't get too bad mileage either, it's not spectaular, but for a decade old car design, 19 combined isn't too shabby.

Of course.. the XTS blows it away with 17/28 ;)

Lord Cadillac
01-18-12, 01:46 PM
I get 20.5 miles per gallon on my LS460L - and that's mostly city driving... You guys hit the gas too hard. My TT 3.0 335i got me 25 miles per gallon. And I never let off the gas with that car. I floored it out of the driveway, held my foot on the gas and the brake the same time because I loved hitting the gas so much I would never stop, and parked, turned off the car still floored...

M5eater
01-18-12, 01:57 PM
I get 20.5 miles per gallon on my LS460L - and that's mostly city driving... You guys hit the gas too hard. My TT 3.0 335i got me 25 miles per gallon. And I never let off the gas with that car. I floored it out of the driveway, held my foot on the gas and the brake the same time because I loved hitting the gas so much I would never stop, and parked, turned off the car still floored...

is it surprising with his not-so-infrequent threads about doing 85+ off exit ramps :D

JimmyH
01-18-12, 02:34 PM

pfft. yours is a business expense.

----------

you're a maniac.

I am averaging 23mpg driving with impunity (mostly on the highway). If I work it, I can get over 25mpg. With a 6.2L V8.

M5eater
01-18-12, 02:38 PM
you're a maniac.

I am averaging 23mpg driving with impunity (mostly on the highway). If I work it, I can get over 25mpg. With a 6.2L V8.

20.2 mpg in a stock V2 auto.

/impossible to top.

JimmyH
01-18-12, 02:44 PM
btw, what is your signature? is that some kind of online fuel economy tracker?

M5eater
01-18-12, 03:28 PM
btw, what is your signature? is that some kind of online fuel economy tracker?
yes. I'm a nerd, I know it.

if you click it it'll have more info.

thebigjimsho
01-18-12, 03:53 PM
No thanks.

0AT E03
01-18-12, 05:33 PM
I get 19-20 in the Vette. 16-19 in the GTO depending on how much highway.

JimmyH
01-18-12, 07:46 PM
yes. I'm a nerd, I know it.

if you click it it'll have more info.

You might be a nerd, but I am willing to bet you can't compete with me on the geek scale. Just ask bigjim.

M5eater
01-18-12, 08:53 PM
You might be a nerd, but I am willing to bet you can't compete with me on the geek scale. Just ask bigjim.
So if I said I had an M17x with dual CF 5870s with an i7 740 running on a 120 sandforce controller SSD and a 4GB seagate hybrid drive with 8GB of Dual channel ram you would say?...

rand49er
01-18-12, 09:49 PM
So if I said I had an M17x with dual CF 5870s with an i7 740 running on a 120 sandforce controller SSD and a 4GB seagate hybrid drive with 8GB of Dual channel ram you would say?...Huh?

RippyPartsDept
01-19-12, 08:59 AM
http://www.geekcode.com/

M5eater
01-19-12, 09:03 AM
http://www.geekcode.com/
I have been out-done. Touche.

Huh?

In other words.. a lousy way to spend $4000 on a laptop.

RippyPartsDept
01-19-12, 09:31 AM
I have been out-done. Touche.

i used to have my GCode posted somewhere but I forget ... it's probably way out of date and needs to be updated

but as I recall originally it took like an hour to put together in the first place ...

JimmyH
01-19-12, 01:34 PM
So if I said I had an M17x with dual CF 5870s with an i7 740 running on a 120 sandforce controller SSD and a 4GB seagate hybrid drive with 8GB of Dual channel ram you would say?...

I would say you wasted more than I did on my M15x with single HD5850 that scored P8300. I just built a desktop computer for the same price as my M15x that scored P34000.
Have you run vantage on your m17x? I am curious.

M5eater
01-19-12, 02:11 PM
I would say you wasted more than I did on my M15x with single HD5850 that scored P8300. I just built a desktop computer for the same price as my M15x that scored P34000.
Have you run vantage on your m17x? I am curious.
Not recently. I stopped messing around with that part of my life after I got the V2. The M17x is a websurfer mostly right now.

I know when I was taking the 17x apart every other day and creating excuses with tech-support as to why I needed new sets of video cards, I managed 13K or so with a pair of OC'd 285s. 290W wall power draw from a laptop is hot.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/524230-here-gtx-285m-sli-benchmarks.html

RippyPartsDept
01-19-12, 02:19 PM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3162/3287400484_8009a28d6d_b.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7566/ugm11.jpg

M5eater
01-19-12, 02:24 PM
lol.. and I was feeling guility about thinking of a $500 940xm. shall I call you master of awsome from now on? or will Chris-superl33t suffice?

RippyPartsDept
01-19-12, 02:46 PM
i wish those were mine ... haha

figured you would get a kick though

one day i'll have triple 30's

M5eater
01-19-12, 02:55 PM
i wish those were mine ... haha

figured you would get a kick though

one day i'll have triple 30's

I had doubles back in the day with my dual 604pin Xeon machine with my Asus PC-DL. I felt like the shitz because I had the first overclockable SMP motherboard-- even if it was limited to FSB adjustments and you had to pin-mod extra voltages(I blew one of the sockets by the time I sold it >_>). These days though the 1090T in the desktop with a crap micro-ATX mainboard has more overlocking features than I know what to do with.

If I were made of money, an SR-2 Classified would be on my wish-list, I can live with a single miserable monitor.

edit; Back to your regularly scheduled ATS program per the new sticky <_<

RippyPartsDept
01-19-12, 03:42 PM
I've been working with a double for a while now since I switched to a persistent live linux install on a usb stick the size of a stamp ...

i've been working off of a couple different laptops and just plug in my 22" monitor to the vga port and boom, doubles!

TheCaptain
01-19-12, 06:50 PM
Is this really on topic of the ATS shedding weight fellas? :thepan:

bruff1977
01-19-12, 06:52 PM
All this TTV6 talk is disappointing, and I would most like to see the C7 powertrain in the ATS-V. GM has been known for using variants of certain engines across their lines. Where else do you see this TTV6 being used?

M5eater
01-19-12, 06:55 PM
Is this really on topic of the ATS shedding weight fellas? :thepan:
hey, hey, HEY! now, I did my part

edit; Back to your regularly scheduled ATS program per the new sticky <_<

All this TTV6 talk is disappointing, and I would most like to see the C7 powertrain in the ATS-V. GM has been known for using variants of certain engines across their lines. Where else do you see this TTV6 being used?
This TTV6 specificly? Maybe a large buick.

bruff1977
01-19-12, 07:26 PM
I'll believe it when I see it I guess. I want to believe the engineers for the V would want to keep the same engineering practices in place for the V (low mass especially) as they achieved with the ATS. Maybe even lighter than the non-V... :-) Who knows what will weigh more? Wouldn't the additional plumbing for the twin turbos add significant weight than a small block V8? All being said, if it surpasses the HP/TQ, stops in a shorter distance and handles better than the new M3, I'll be impressed enough to place an order.

RippyPartsDept
01-19-12, 09:16 PM
Isn't alpha going to be under the c7? Or did I misread something. I thought that alpha was able to 'stretch' in terms of wheelbase and bring the lightweight engineering to a whole range of vehicles. Kind of changes the way you think about a platform as only having one or two variations to being able to support many more.

M5eater
01-19-12, 09:18 PM
Isn't alpha going to be under the c7? Or did I misread something. I thought that alpha was able to 'stretch' in terms of wheelbase and bring the lightweight engineering to a whole range of vehicles. Kind of changes the way you think about a platform as only having one or two variations to being able to support many more.
They've hinted at the idea, and it's been suggested the next CTS be something like this. I don't expect that Alpha is underpinning the C7 though, a camaro and other cadillacs sure, but a corvette? Negative.

0AT E03
01-19-12, 09:24 PM
The Alpha platform can co from Sub-compact to Mid-sized applications for Luxury Cars. Currently the ATS and next gen CTS will ride on the platform. The next Generation Camaro is also rumored to use Alpha, it's that flexible. Omega (which is related to Alpha) is going to cover the Luxury Full-Size cars. GM will continue to make Zeta for Australia at least until the end of the decade. Who knows, maybe Holden will eventually use Alpha. The Corvette continues to use the Y-Body which is unique in the construction of the chassis around a central tunnel and a rear mounted transmission. Alpha Plus (as the stretched Alpha is called) was used as GM canceled the next gen CTS's platform "Beta" to save money. It was deemed that Alpha was flexible enough to get the job done. The Red Concept (Code 130R I think) from the Autoshow rides on a chopped Alpha platform.

So RWD Platforms at GM will be:

Alpha - ATS, CTS (+ version), Camaro
Omega - "Flagship" Cadillac
Zeta - Commodore Range
Y-Body - Corvette

RippyPartsDept
01-19-12, 09:36 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.

Maybe it's was the rumored small corvette that I was thinking about being on alpha ... Theoretically speaking.

Lord Cadillac
01-22-12, 07:14 PM

The twin turbo 3.0 liter V6 will be used on the third generation CTS and the XTS as soon as it's (the engine itself) ready. It'll also likely find it's way in the fourth generation Escalade, the crossover SUV that'll fit between the Escalade and SRX, as possibly even the third generation Alpha Based SRX itself - though not as likely.

0AT E03
01-22-12, 07:27 PM
SRX is never going to Alpha. It will stay on TE, which is called T2XX in the next gen (and slots under L2XX aka Lambda 2, and above D2UX which replaces the 17x Twins).

Lord Cadillac
01-22-12, 08:10 PM
SRX is never going to Alpha. It will stay on TE, which is called T2XX in the next gen (and slots under L2XX aka Lambda 2, and D2UX which replaces the 17x Twins).

I did hear that design would be a major issue for an Alpha based SRX so what you're saying does make sense. I'd love to see it happen though...

Jock itch
05-05-12, 09:31 AM
I have a lot of interest in what GM does with the V. No next gen, direct injected V8, no sale. I'm holding off my new car purchase until we know for sure. I hope they don't disappoint.