: Auto Headlights

jldz
11-09-04, 07:03 PM
Can you turn off the auto headlights on an o2 ? It would be nice to park with just my parking lights on and leds on.

slk230mb
11-09-04, 07:11 PM
Press the dome over-ride switch 4 times in <6 seconds and you will hear a chime and the day time running lights and auto headlights will be turned off.

Spittin Game
11-09-04, 08:43 PM
Why yes there is. I dont know if youve seen it, the little knob on the left side of the steering wheel, turn it clockwise from the auto position to the off position. :2thumbs:

Sorry i just had to use my sarcasm tags. Thats probably the easiest way though! :burn:

slk230mb
11-09-04, 08:46 PM
That wont work on a 2002 Escalade.

Spittin Game
11-09-04, 08:49 PM
That wont work on a 2002 Escalade.

yes it will. I have an 02.

slk230mb
11-09-04, 08:50 PM
My switch has 3 positions, Off (where auto and DRL are still enabled), Parking Lights, and Headlights.

Spittin Game
11-09-04, 08:55 PM
My switch has 3 positions, Off (where auto and DRL are still enabled), Parking Lights, and Headlights.

exactly! Just switch it to parking lights only. He wanted to park with just his parking lights, not the headlights on.

mskittrell05
11-09-04, 10:05 PM
I have a 2002 Escalade and i have taken it into the dealership because the dome override switch would not work for turning the headlights off when i am parked...They said my car was manufactured in Canada or something and said it is not capable of having the headlights turn off automatically

slk230mb
11-09-04, 11:06 PM
exactly! Just switch it to parking lights only. He wanted to park with just his parking lights, not the headlights on.

That wont work at night.

T_Dogg8
11-10-04, 08:28 AM
:yeah:

my blazer was the same way.

jldz
11-10-04, 12:29 PM
Mine is from Canada Also and I tried the override switch with no luck.

Slapshot
11-11-04, 12:01 PM
"They said my car was manufactured in Canada or something and said it is not capable of having the headlights turn off automatically"

All Escalades are manufactured in Arlington, Texas. Not part of Canada yet I don't think...

Perhpas it was "destined" for Canada and was sold in the 'states instead? I'll try the headlights and see if it works. When I'm parked, I set the park brake and the lights go off.

Samboosa
12-16-04, 08:47 AM
Canadian Specs you mean. I have the same. It's funny how the lights knob has a "auto" written on it (default) and still we don't have auto headlights. It's like that light sensor is there for nothing. Actually I want to figure a way to make it AUTO instead of manually switching it on.

Slapshot
12-16-04, 12:51 PM
"It's funny how the lights knob has a "auto" written on it (default) and still we don't have auto headlights. It's like that light sensor is there for nothing. Actually I want to figure a way to make it AUTO instead of manually switching it on."

You've got an '05? In my '04 the Daytime Running lights come on when the ignition is on. They go off when the park brake is set or when the ignition is switched off.

At dusk the Headlights come on automatically for night time operation. They go off when the ignition is off and the time delay I set has expired.

That's about as automatic as you can get, when the engine is running lights are on. During daylight the DRL's, at night the headlights. Are your lights not working in this fashion?

99 SKALAID
12-16-04, 09:30 PM
i am sure i can figure it out :p

i figured it out for the old budy style trucks :worship:

ALLeyez187onME
12-16-04, 09:58 PM
Nope, doesnt work. Headlights only come on during the day if you switch the knob left of the steering wheel, all the way up. and the second one between off and headlight is your parking light. Unfortunately when it gets dark enough your headlights automatically stay on, no way of turning them off as long as the car is on.

99 SKALAID
12-16-04, 10:08 PM
Nope, doesnt work. Headlights only come on during the day if you switch the knob left of the steering wheel, all the way up. and the second one between off and headlight is your parking light. Unfortunately when it gets dark enough your headlights automatically stay on, no way of turning them off as long as the car is on.

i guarantee i could do it :want:

ALLeyez187onME
12-16-04, 10:16 PM
lol, well I've tried...and usually I can figure things out also.

99 SKALAID
12-16-04, 10:33 PM
lol, well I've tried...and usually I can figure things out also.

this was my thread i made about it

#### PLEASE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE ####

So i have been tired of the the Daytime Running Lights and the automatic Headlights in my 1999 escalade so i have been trying very hard to figure out what to do to disable them. No where on the internet have i been able to find out what to do. So i have been looking at wiring diagrams and schematics to see what really goes on.

You must disable the DRL's and the Automatic Headlights

Just disabling the DRL's will make the lights come on at dark still, and just disabling the Automatic headlights will make the DRL's always on.

First i started taking some stuff off.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/3928/escaladeapart.jpg

Now you cant really get to much off it is all welded together.

Then i found the DRL module (circled in red)

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/3928/escaladeapart2.jpg

so i popped the module out, and disconnected it

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/3928/drlmodule2.jpg

those 2 tabs on the bottom bend them with pliers and the module will slide out of the bracket, and then unclip the wire harness, it has just 2 wires that plug into it.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/3928/drlmodule3.jpg
There is the DRL module disconnected from the vehicle. Now you have complete control over the vehicle as long as it is Daylight outside.

Next issue to tackle is the Automatic Headlamp System.

So figuring it uses a photocell to determine if it is daylight or night time out side i went on the mission to find it.... after searching avery little crack and everything i looked at the rear view mirror. I noticed a sensor in the front and rear of the mirror, but those control the Night time dimming function of the the inside and outside mirrors. I thought they ALSO controlled the Automatic Headlamps, but after reading the schematics, they dont, so there is still another sensor somewhere else..... hmm where.....

how about in the little black box on the windshield under the mirror???
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/3928/escaladerearview.jpg

Another look from outside the window
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/3928/escaladesensor.jpg
THATS IT!!!!!!!! FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the original idea was to measure the resistance and remove the photcell and replace it with a resistor that simulates the daytime resistance the photocell sees, but that didnt work out to well, and i wanted to figure it out so that anyone could do this. So i then looked at where the output of the sensor is and where the wiring goes.

On the back of the mirror are 2 plugs, one has about 8 wires in it, while the other has 2 wires on it.

Well the connector with 8 controls the actual dimming of the lights and the compass and the temperature...

So the connector with 2 wires is the culprit.

REMOVING THE 2 CONNECTOR PLUG COMPLETELY WILL DISABLE THE MIRRORS FROM TINTING!!!!!

So the orange wire is in charge of actuating the Tinting of the mirrors, while the yellow is in charge of the Automatic Headlights....

So disconnect the yellow wire from the harness, either by cutting it or by removing it from the mirror.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/3928/escalademirror.jpg

And now you have complete control over your headlamps Day or Night.

after you have done that, then talk to me ;)

Samboosa
12-17-04, 09:34 AM
You've got an '05? In my '04 the Daytime Running lights come on when the ignition is on. They go off when the park brake is set or when the ignition is switched off.

At dusk the Headlights come on automatically for night time operation. They go off when the ignition is off and the time delay I set has expired.

That's about as automatic as you can get, when the engine is running lights are on. During daylight the DRL's, at night the headlights. Are your lights not working in this fashion?

Yes an 05. But I live in the middle east so the specs are a bit different I guess.

I have 4 selections:
o = off
auto = selected by default, but does nothing.
drl
headlights

I have NOTHING automated in my lights. the "auto" selection does NOTHING, its 100% the same as OFF. I have to manually select drl or headlights to activate what I want.

I have tested a number of 04's and 05's. The dealer says they ALL come like this. But I'm sure I have the light sensor and our TrailBlazer has the automatic functionality working (move to "o" and they're off).

Slapshot
12-18-04, 01:40 PM
That's truly odd... The switch on my '04 is spring loaded to the AUTO pos'n. Turning it "left" to the "0" does nothing. The only way to turn off the DRL's is when stopped with the park brake. At dusk the auto lights work as advertised...

Is there anything you can select with your Driver Information Centre? Is there a preference for your lights?

Good luck.

Sloppy D
12-18-04, 11:37 PM
My Brother has an 02 with the same situation made in Texas but ment to be sold in Canada where the law is if its sold there it has to have them therefore his dome switch does not turn them off The best thing to do is what Skalaid did. I have a 2000 and had the mod done in thirty minutes with all the credit going to SKALAID for tracking all this down and then being nice enough to post it. So if you can't live with them and your dome switch won;t work time to find out how they are controlled in the later models and jerk it out of there. By the way much THANKS to Skalaid for figuring this out on the early models.

Samboosa
12-19-04, 07:57 AM
That's truly odd... The switch on my '04 is spring loaded to the AUTO pos'n. Turning it "left" to the "0" does nothing. The only way to turn off the DRL's is when stopped with the park brake. At dusk the auto lights work as advertised...

Is there anything you can select with your Driver Information Centre? Is there a preference for your lights?

Good luck.

The "o" is supposed to switch the Auto Off. This is how it works in the TrailBlazer. But for the Escalade Auto=Off.
There is nothing in the DIC either.

skides1
12-19-04, 07:30 PM
Try Pushing The Dome Override Button Four Times. On My Friends 03- Doing That Will Disable The Drl's And Auto Headlights. Maybe It Will Turn The Fuction On?

Samboosa
12-22-04, 04:24 AM
Let me correct myself. In our part of the world, DRL's are not a standard car's usually don't come with them.

What I have is the PARKING lights not DRL's.

Anyone knows where I can get the codes for the auto headlights system? (from the codes in the glove box) I want to see if my truck actually comes with that or not.

Thanks for all the help.

(EDIT: The Dome Override Button trick doesn't work either).

box986
12-22-04, 01:05 PM
If you just bypass the autolamps (cutting yellow wire) but do not mod the DRL module, can you still turn off the DRL via the switch or will they always be on?

Thanks

99 SKALAID
12-24-04, 06:59 PM
If you just bypass the autolamps (cutting yellow wire) but do not mod the DRL module, can you still turn off the DRL via the switch or will they always be on?

Thanks

if you cut the yellow wire then the automatic lights will not come on, but the DRL will be on.

The drl's come on once you release the parking brake. so you need to do both mods to get 100% control.

if anyone lives in the sf bay area, i would be more than happy to figure it out on a new body style, i am sure it is easy. :cool:

Dif
12-25-04, 06:56 PM
After reading all the posts on this subject it seems every vehicle is different.. even when they're the same year... so..
I'll post what happens with my 04 EXT if it helps anyone.
To elaborate on the whole subject... the "O" setting only activates when the key is in the iginition either in the on position or , when the vehicle is actually running.
When it's night time I can turn the spring loaded light switch to the left to "O" and it shuts off "all" the lights and they stay off even if I put the vehicle into drive and drive down the road.
If I'm sitting with the vehicle running, in park, and have shut the lights off as described above.. then turn the switch to parking lights...
only the parking lights come on... but...
if I then move the switch back to auto.. the lights come back on and everything reverts back to the auto stage.
It seems the "O" setting, once activated doesn't shut off the lights indefinitely, but seems to only shut them off when they have been on in the auto mode and you prefer to have them off.
Again.. aside from different year vehicles acting differently, can't say what's up with the the same year vehicles acting differently, but this is what happens to my 04 EXT.
Regards.. Frank

box986
12-25-04, 10:18 PM
Would the following senario cut the life of the HIDS?:

Truck is always garaged, so when first started, the HIDS come on and then I back up into daylight and they go off. I am assuming that is not good for the HIDS and looks like cutting the yellow wire is my solution.

Also, do the HIDS stay on when you "flash-to-pass"? I had to mod another car to keep the HIDS on in this senario.