: Alternator not charging!

PDT14
01-09-12, 03:07 AM
I have a 2001 Seville STS. I had to have my car jumped a couple of times. I went to have my battery charged at the local auto parts store. The battery charged good, so I put it in the car and eventually had to be towed home. The car wouldn't start.

I took the alternator off, had it tested, it was bad. Put a new one on and purchased a new battery because they said the old one charged fully, but was well short of the cranking amps the battery was rated for, plus it was warm.

After about a week, the car had to be towed again. No power. Alternator tested bad. Got another alternator (both remaned), and charged the new battery. I had this alternator tested prior to installation. It tested good. Once installed, battery was at about 12+ volts. Battery jumped to 14.99 volts when idling. Went for a drive, came back and tested the battery while running, it was just over 13 volts.

There was a wire directly under the alternator that plugged into a clip directly to the right of the alternator. The black wire had a 1/4" segment with no insulation (bare wire) and could possibly have been in contact with the alt housing. Not sure. Prior to the last install, I taped it up with electrical tape. I checked fuses and they all look good.

What could be shorting the alternator? The only message I get is "service electrical system". I also get a P0300 misfire code and P0340. Any thoughts?

dkozloski
01-09-12, 11:08 AM
You're in the wrong forum. This is for the RWD/AWD STSs and not the old sidewinders. Try the Seville forum a little farther down.

PDT14
01-09-12, 11:28 AM
Thought so. I'll try the other forum, thanks.