: Need to vent....

shchow
01-08-12, 06:54 PM
I just picked up my car from my local tire shop to have my winter tires mounted.
The car had an extra 12 miles on the odometer!!
I confronted the store manager. He denied any wrongdoing, but could not explain the extra 12 miles.
I immediately sent out a scathing complaint to the company's HQ.
Pretty pissed off right now!
Seeing red!!!

Houdini
01-08-12, 07:08 PM
turn on breadcrumbs on the nav, reset g meter, and write down mileage before handing over keys..... and ALWAYS let them know the car isn't to be driven off the lot.

HeavyH20
01-08-12, 07:24 PM
Normally, the tire mounter will take the car up to speed to determine if the tires are properly balanced. If they have a good balancer, they skip that step. They likely have an older one that does not hold the wheel perfectly square so a road check helps. Then again, it could be a joy ride as you suspect. No reason given by mounter? Personally, I wait while they work to ensure no funny business.

mpouls1
01-08-12, 07:28 PM
turn on breadcrumbs on the nav, reset g meter, and write down mileage before handing over keys.....

What does this mean? Could you elaborate? Thanks

Nutz
01-08-12, 07:44 PM
I laughed when I saw that too. I'm guessing he means put it in the mode that "leaves a trail".

Anyone else have a taste for bread now?

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-08-12, 08:13 PM
I just picked up my car from my local tire shop to have my winter tires mounted.
The car had an extra 12 miles on the odometer!!
I confronted the store manager. He denied any wrongdoing, but could not explain the extra 12 miles.
I immediately sent out a scathing complaint to the company's HQ.
Pretty pissed off right now!
Seeing red!!!

You're totally justified being pissed! I'm afraid I would be in jail over that because someone (probably the manager) would have gotten his ass handed to him, and this old man would have no qualms at all about doing it..... NO ONE DRIVES MY FRIGGIN CAR WITHOUT ME IN THE SEAT NEXT TO THEM.....that is - if I deem it necessary that they even drive it! There is NO NEED for it at all! It is private property.

Now you need to go about publicizing what they have done......make sure everyone around knows what they will do...... Sounds like a bunch of sneaky, sleazy, punk asses.

Now, you want to know what really feel about this?

Ste_V_e
01-08-12, 08:20 PM
Did it happen to be a NTB tire shop? B/c that's one place i'll never take my car again ever in my entire life.

Gary Wells
01-08-12, 09:02 PM
Never leave a V car or your favorite hot rod anywhere, unless it is absolute necessary.

shchow
01-08-12, 09:19 PM
Did it happen to be a NTB tire shop? B/c that's one place i'll never take my car again ever in my entire life.

Tires Plus, Mount Laurel, NJ...
In retrospect, since I had to leave the car there overnight, I suspect the manager took the car home with him.
When I confronted him, he immediately denied any wrongdoing.
When you're confronted with a situation you have no knowledge of, you apologize and find out the facts of the matter before denying doing anything wrong.
I'm not a prude and will overlook small discrepancies, a few miles here or there. But 12 miles is excessive...

smackdownCTSV
01-08-12, 09:32 PM
If it was just a few miles, I wouldn't worry. But it's 6 miles out and 6 miles back. Definitely a joy ride. Isn't there a GPS recording device to see where the car went? Onstar?

Trapspeed
01-08-12, 09:42 PM
You're totally justified. I'd be hot, too.

JOEYCTS-V
01-08-12, 10:04 PM
Breadcrumbs on a V2?! If this is possible I'd love to know how to turn it on. I know my V1 had this feature and I wish my V2 had it.

shchow
01-09-12, 08:22 AM
Now that I'm cooled down, I've a had chance to reflect on the situation.
I should have called the local police and filed a report. This way, the matter is documented, and should anything happen down the road with the car...cracked rim, suspension issues, alignment, etc...I would at least have some recourse.
And I get to scare the store manager in the process...

Maxniman
01-09-12, 09:11 AM
Now that I'm cooled down, I've a had chance to reflect on the situation.
I should have called the local police and filed a report. This way, the matter is documented, and should anything happen down the road with the car...cracked rim, suspension issues, alignment, etc...I would at least have some recourse.
And I get to scare the store manager in the process...

your local police would actually take the time to file a report over 12 miles on a car?

tinman
01-09-12, 09:53 AM
Usually you sign the paper work order to begin the work. The fine print usually has some clause that allows the shop to take some type of miscellaneous drive to check it out. Twelve miles is more than miscellaneous to me.

I just remembered I have a receipt from Tires Plus. There is NO fine print that allows them to take a drive in your car, at least on my Florida receipt. There is a Bridgestone Retail Operations, LLC Customer Retention 800 phone number to call, however, to pitch a b!tch.

cdog533
01-09-12, 12:51 PM
People keep forgetting the rules...

RULE NUMBER ONE: ALWAYS stay with the car. Always. For dealer work, tires, etc. ALWAYS STAY WITH THE CAR.

RULE NUMBER TWO: NEVER let them wash the car. NEVER EVER. NEVER.

RULE NUMBER THREE: DON'T go in for something you can fix yourself or something minor. JUST DON'T. They will mess it up worse. Take your time and fix it yourself.

RULE NUMBER FOUR: ALWAYS establish with a tire shop that the rims are perfect when you get there, before work begins. Have him write 'All rims in perfect condition' on the ticket. ALWAYS bring the car in with spotlessly clean rims. This way, you will have something to fall back on when they scratch them. They always scratch them.

RULE NUMBER FIVE: NEVER assume anyone is competent at their job or has any idea what they are talking about. This goes double for service managers. EVERYONE IS BASICALLY IMCOMPETENT and just looking to get finished as quickly as possible. So, you need to recognize this. NEVER assume anyone at any car place knows more than you and NEVER trust their judgement.

shchow
01-09-12, 01:26 PM
your local police would actually take the time to file a report over 12 miles on a car?

I would liken this to THEFT.
Imagine if someone took your keys and drove your car and then brought it back.
I understand that most service shops have a waiver to allow them to take the care out for REASONABLE testing.
And I understand that nothing would come of this, but I get a chance to have the incident officially documented and the store is on notice....

----------

RULE NUMBER ONE: ALWAYS stay with the car. Always. For dealer work, tires, etc. ALWAYS STAY WITH THE CAR.

RULE NUMBER THREE: DON'T go in for something you can fix yourself or something minor. JUST DON'T. They will mess it up worse. Take your time and fix it yourself.

RULE NUMBER FOUR: ALWAYS establish with a tire shop that the rims are perfect when you get there, before work begins. Have him write 'All rims in perfect condition' on the ticket. ALWAYS bring the car in with spotlessly clean rims. This way, you will have something to fall back on when they scratch them. They always scratch them.

RULE NUMBER FIVE: NEVER assume anyone is competent at their job or has any idea what they are talking about. This goes double for service managers. EVERYONE IS BASICALLY IMCOMPETENT and just looking to get finished as quickly as possible. So, you need to recognize this. Never assume anyone at any car place knows more than you and trust their judgement.

Sound advice.
I used to do all the work myself, but just been so busy lately...
I know, I know...live and learn...

smackdownCTSV
01-09-12, 01:29 PM

RULE NUMBER FIVE: NEVER assume anyone is competent at their job or has any idea what they are talking about. This goes double for service managers. EVERYONE IS BASICALLY IMCOMPETENT and just looking to get finished as quickly as possible. So, you need to recognize this. Never assume anyone at any car place knows more than you and trust their judgement.

Number 1 - Agreed. Otherwise, make sure they put down the current mileage on the paper that you sign.
Number 2 - Agreed. Otherwise, make sure they note that there isn't any damage/scratches on the car. It's winter time after all, and I'm sure as hell am not hand washing in below freezing temperatures.
Number 3 - I guess that depends on what the fix is and how competent the dealer/shop is.
Number 4 - Agreed. Good idea. No addendum.
Number 5 - You mean incompetent and judgment right?

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-09-12, 01:47 PM
That shop basically mistook you for an idiot.

shchow
01-09-12, 02:24 PM
Live and learn...
What's the saying...Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

smackdownCTSV
01-09-12, 03:19 PM
...shame on me.

Club Malibu
01-09-12, 05:04 PM
Shchow, sent you a pm.