: change tray led replacement

06 STS
01-07-12, 02:52 PM
I replaced all my interior bulbs in my 06 STS with SMD 8 LED bulbs. However, would anyone happen to know what the led bulb is that is in the change tray. I took it out today and noticed that it is a single red led on a panel. I'd like to change the color to a white or blue. Thanks in advance.

ddalder
01-07-12, 03:19 PM
It's almost impossible to know with certainty because of numerous LED's on the market. Red, white and blue LED's generally all have different operating voltages and forward bias current ratings. To do this correctly, you'll also need to calculate the value of, and change the current limiting resistor. This can be computed based on the individual specs for the LED you choose as a replacement and supply voltage.

In choosing replacements for some of the projects I've done, I usually find something with the same or close physical characteristics, perform some tests of different products and ensure other factors such as the current limiting resistor are correct. Other factors to consider are:

mcd rating to ensure it isn't too bright or too dim. This might require trying a few different LED's.
Viewing angle. If it's for the ashtray you will want a lens that distributes light over a larger area.

You'll also need a very low wattage soldering iron and good technique to avoid damaging the components during the swap. The physical size of SMT components makes them extremely susceptible to thermal damage. Many of these LED products are also sensitive to static electricity.

06 STS
01-07-12, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the information. I was hoping that the panel could be swapped out. The panel was only about a 1/2 inch wide with a red LED attached. The red LED had a positive and negitive wire attached. I should have just removed the red LED to see if I could find a part number on it. So it would help with finding a replacement.

I find similar LED panels online - most have two or three LEDs on the panel. The panel in the car only had 1 LED.