Cadillac Owners Forum banner

dipstick level, which side to believe?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
Just as it says in the title, everytime I check the oil which side of the dipstick should I believe? One side will read one way and the other side, that faces the ground will show 1 or 1½ lines higher. I've tried different places so I'm not convinced that it could be on unlevel ground. But I'm not sure which to believe.

#5 ·
I read it with printing on the handle right side up. is your stick straight , does it look like it was real hot once? I believe that at the add mark to max mark is only a little over a pint difference. Don't keep it on max,especially if its cool when you check it..level ground does not necessarily mean level block....theres my $.o2

#7 ·
Let's see......... This thread has run for ...... ~7 months. As Ranger has posted, don't get anal over dipstick readings. Somewhere sort of maybe close to this level v v v is good - higher is not (Read the Technical Archive ^^^ way up)........

<==== ADD XXXXXXXXXX MAX ==============oo======================================O

On most Northstars, when the observed oil line falls to somewhere near the A in ADD it's about a quart low. If the tip <== comes out dry, you're 2 quarts low.

This is NOT rocket science, folks - it's simple semimonthly underhood checks. More frequently if you're on a speed run to the Coast/Keys/Mountains/Beach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.