: Stock V seats - any problems?

Maxniman
01-06-12, 08:57 AM
I'm looking for some feedback from those with the stock V seats. I see a lot of threads on Recaros and complaints folks have about them and was wondering how the non Recaros are working out.

Thanks

mountainv
01-06-12, 09:13 AM
I'm looking for some feedback from those with the stock V seats. I see a lot of threads on Recaros and complaints folks have about them and was wondering how the non Recaros are working out.

ThanksMy opinion after 6K miles on my '12 Coupe: the stock seats are extremely comfortable for everyday driving and also for long trips.
The sueded seat surface keeps me from sliding during spirited driving on the mountain roads where I live. I tried the Recaros in the V-Lab Event
at Road Atlanta, and thought they were great for the track, but not what I wanted for 99% if the time I would be behind the wheel in my V.
I am very happy with my stock seats.

thebigjimsho
01-06-12, 10:21 AM
I've rented and driven about 2,000 miles on base CTS seats. Which, except for the suede, should be the same. I don't think they are that comfortable. I can drive all day, all night and all day again in the Recaros. They are frickin' amazing...

Maxniman
01-06-12, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the reply mountainv. I have experienced the Recaros at a V- Lab and the stock seats at a dealer test drive and was favoring the standard seats.

thebigjimsho
01-06-12, 10:28 AM
The Recaros are so adjustable that there is a GINORMOUS difference between a standard setting and when it's tailored just for you. When I bought my V in Texas, I drove it straight back to Mass. After 3 hours my back was killing me. I opened everything up and then tailored it back in for me.

Drove the rest of the 2,000 miles home in supreme comfort.

Some just won't like the Recaros. We're all different. But I think many who don't like them never tailored them correctly. The Recaros are like a fine suit...

Trapspeed
01-06-12, 11:28 AM
So far stockers are fine. The only minor issue I have is that the thigh bolster catches me under the left leg in a sometimes uncomfortable place but otherwise they're fine.

neuronbob
01-06-12, 02:23 PM
The stockers are just fine. The only issue I've had with them in almost three years of ownership is that the cushion is a little short. Since I have long thighs, this is an issue. However, I resolved the problem by adjusting the seat height higher and tilting slightly backward. All is good now.

FLTRI
01-06-12, 02:35 PM
We had a loaner with stock seats for a week, they were plenty comfortable for me (6'2" 195#).

With the Recaro's, you set in the car, stock ones feel like sitting on the car...

MarshallsCTSV
01-06-12, 10:44 PM
I love my Stock Seats. I test drove CTS-V's with the Recaros and I never could get comfortable. With that said, I think for more aggressive driving they might just be the preferred seat. In my situation though (my size and the lengthy amount of time I'm in my car) the stock seats are my preferred seat and are perfectly comfortable. Very Satisfied. I'm 6'2" 240lbs.

Titaniumseeker
01-07-12, 11:25 AM
No Problems with stock seats even on long drives. Would prefer a softer adjustable headrest like BMW and MB but otherwise very comfortable. The recaros hurt my back and I could never get them adjusted so that they didn't feel uncomfortable.

mpouls1
01-07-12, 02:29 PM
Took me awhile to get adjusted properly but has many adjustment options. No sinking on the bottom right of side seat like other cars I've owned. Haven't seen a post/ thread problem about regular seats but most owners want/have the recaros.

elphil
01-07-12, 03:08 PM
I drove a 2010 standard CTS for a year before changing to the V. Based on the experience with the standard CTS I went with the standard seats in the V. No complaints. I'm 6 feet and 190 pounds.
From what others have said here, it is a matter of finding the right combination of adjustments with the Recaros. There's an infinite number of combinations available on them. I don't think you can make a fair judgement just trying one at the dealer.

tedcmiller
01-07-12, 03:36 PM
I have standard seats on my 2009 CTS-V. I would not have the Recaros (they are too hard to get in and out of). The standard seats are just fine.

Blakester
01-07-12, 03:44 PM
Have had V- wagon for 11 months(10,000 miles) including a 2wk. Road trip(4200 miles). Std. Seats are great, but would like to figure out how to add seat ventalation.

calherc1
01-07-12, 05:48 PM
Stock seats in my 2009. I find them to be very comfortable as well. As others have posted, Recaro's are probably better for track/sprited driving. They don't allow me the wiggle room I need to stay comfortable for long drives. Due to back issues I am always having to move around a little to ease the pain. The stock seats allow that.

HeavyH20
01-07-12, 09:34 PM
I have the stock seats and they are definitely comfortable but I still wish I had the Recaro seats. The really big plus on the stock seats is for the passenger. If the Recaros had a reset mode on the passenger side, they would instantly be more comfortable for the passengers entering the car for the first time. If they are tweaked, it is a very uncomfortable experience until you set a myriad of options. As for the driver side, once adjusted, they are very comfortable. My buddy's car has them and I wish I had them, as well.

thebigjimsho
01-07-12, 10:22 PM
Stock seats in my 2009. I find them to be very comfortable as well. As others have posted, Recaro's are probably better for track/sprited driving. They don't allow me the wiggle room I need to stay comfortable for long drives. Due to back issues I am always having to move around a little to ease the pain. The stock seats allow that.I wonder if the Recaros would actually help. I guess it depends on what triggers your back issues. I had a badly pulled lower back in October. I could barely get out of bed in the morning. I drive my Town Car for a living and those seats are usually comfortable but sitting in them too long would allow my back to stiffen up. I had to try to get up and around as often as I could.

I didn't know if I could even get in my Recaro seat or drive in it for more than a few minutes. Not only was it comfortable, but I would get out with my back feeling better. The supreme support kept my back from suffering from any pressure points. It was pretty amazing...

Nutz
01-07-12, 10:47 PM
Stock seats are perfect for me. I've had back problems for my whole life and I can drive the car for hours comfortably. Plenty of support, heated, firmly mounted to the car, no creaks or pops, quiet as a church mouse. I use the headrests and they are very comfortable. 6' tall 200 lbs and I drive spirited OFTEN.

thebigjimsho
01-07-12, 10:53 PM
Meh, you're old...

Nutz
01-07-12, 11:00 PM
:wisdom: I'm still a young snapper whipper.

shchow
01-08-12, 04:03 PM
When I test drove the V with the stock seats, I found that they had absolutely zero lateral support.
Any sort of aggressive driving and my ass was sliding all over the place...

marktanner
01-08-12, 04:22 PM
I had an '08 with heated and ventilated leather seats, and then got the V with Recaro's. I have taken six hour trips in both. I have had back problems, too. I am 5' 9" and 170, with a relatively long torso and shorter legs. I thought the base seats were fairly comfortable, and the comfort did improve with miles on the car, but after the long trip I knew I could have used more comfort. I really had to fidget a lot, and the seats only have limited adjustments while driving to help redistribute weight, while still maintaining a reasonable driving position. The base V seats should be a bit softer, though, as they are not ventilated, and the leather will be stiffer than the cloth. I found the base seats had truly terrible bolstering for cornering, though the cloth might help that a bit. I know that I would have to really brace in hard cornering, which is not what one should be concentrating on while at the limit (my car had the FE3 suspension which also came with PS2s). The base seats were a breeze to enter and exit, though.

My current car has the Recaros. I find them vastly more comfortable. Even after six hours in the car, no pain or stiffness! I also fidgeted much less than in the other car, and with all the adjustments it was easy to alter the seat position to maintain comfort. The multi-adjustable lumbar support really helps here. The seats are very firm, which is highly recommended by orthopedic surgeons for people with back problems. It's not that they lack padding; it's just that they are very firm. That firmness does make it critical to adjust the seat "just so". That can take a lot of experimentation, but fortunately the memory function makes it easy to maintain that position. The seat can seem quite uncomfortable if not well adjusted , and it's easy to get it wrong, too. When I first test drove my car, I got the seats adjusted very nicely. Between then and when I got the car, the position was very different and very uncomfortable. It took me about two weeks to dial it in, and it's been great since. Since I know the position well now, I am able to hop in to another Recaro equipped V and make it comfortable quickly, but I know the car quite well now; not so in the beginning.

The seats are vastly superior to the standard seats in the corners, and one doesn't have to struggle to stay in the seat. Yu are definitely more connected to the car, and can feel the handling better through the "seat of your pants". Entry and exit is a bit more difficult, but the auto exit feature really helps that (I didn't need to use it in the other car). IMO the Recaros also look more expensive, and more fitting for the price of the car than the base seats, and the pedal trim and availability of the microfiber wheel and shifter also add to the ambiance and sportiness (not available with the standard seats). The Recaros are also ventilated, but with the cloth it's not that important, IMO. The feature was more obvious and useful with the leather of the base car, though it also made the seat bottoms harder and less yielding.

That said, if someone is extremely broad or heavy, the Recaros may be too snug, and the stock seat's bolsters might actually work for that person. It's actually nice that there is a choice.

thebigjimsho
01-08-12, 07:34 PM
Good post. I wouldn't say I'm extremely broad, but on broad and heavy enough. I love my Recaros...

DrVolkl
01-09-12, 01:59 AM
When I test drove the V with the stock seats, I found that they had absolutely zero lateral support.
Any sort of aggressive driving and my ass was sliding all over the place...

+1... I can't imagine having the stock seats... you just slide around in them. I have the recaros and have zero issues with them. Not really sure what everyone is complaining about.. In fact, the Recaro option is one of the things that got me out of my Audi/Porsches. Bravo Cadillac. I'd personally add it as a must have option if you're ordering a car...

Maxniman
01-09-12, 09:15 AM
thanks to everyone for all the feedback on standard/Recaro seats

Kadonny
01-10-12, 10:22 AM
+1... I can't imagine having the stock seats... you just slide around in them. I have the recaros and have zero issues with them. Not really sure what everyone is complaining about.. In fact, the Recaro option is one of the things that got me out of my Audi/Porsches. Bravo Cadillac. I'd personally add it as a must have option if you're ordering a car...

I have the standard seats and don't really slide around all that much.

For me it was an easy decision. If you use the car as a DD and don't track it, the standard seats are much easier to get in and out of, they provide plenty of support for 95% of your daily driving needs and they didn't cost me 3k. No brainer.

DrVolkl
01-10-12, 08:14 PM
I have the standard seats and don't really slide around all that much.

For me it was an easy decision. If you use the car as a DD and don't track it, the standard seats are much easier to get in and out of, they provide plenty of support for 95% of your daily driving needs and they didn't cost me 3k. No brainer.

I daily drive my car... it's a 6spd... and my wagon probably won't see too many track days... perhaps we drive differently. (many would argue a 6spd isn't suited for daily driving either).

I also prefer sporty seats and European "feeling" cars... and the recaros are perfect. I guess in the end, everyone wins, right? :)

CTSV12
01-13-12, 12:49 AM
Although I cannot comment on the Recaro seats, the stock seats are without complaint for me. I drove 1500 miles from the midwest to Tucson in two days, and experienced comfort for both of the 11 hour days. The experience was superior to four hour drives in several other vehicles. (6'6" at 260)

carterb
01-14-12, 10:55 PM
I have had no issues with the stock seats so far. I had similar seats in my CTS and routinely took it cross country (>1500 miles) several times with no issues. I expect the same experience with the V.

JimmyH
01-15-12, 04:14 PM
I hated the seats in my CTS4. Too hard and unsupported. Then again, the "stock" seats in the CTS have cooling where they don't in the V.

Kluch
01-27-12, 10:00 PM
My only complaint about my stock seats is that they could use a V logo sewn into the headrest. It really bothers me that they look so plain. I like the logo on the recaro seats. The stock seats are plenty comfortable for me. I leased my V through a lease "pull ahead" program which got me out of my 08 CTS. I had no choice but to get a car off the lot because of the time constraint on the promotion. Had I been able to order, I would have opted for the recaro's just because they're a bit more high end. I was used to the standard seats from the 08 CTS so it wasn't a big deal.