: 2002 Eldorado coolant flush what kind?

speedydog
01-05-12, 06:26 PM
i just bougt a 2002 has 98 k on it it just had water pump replaced according to previous owner, two questions it has green coolant in it should i flush and go with dex cool and add gm supplement pellets(do i need to add pellets at all), second notice it has a regular silver radiator cap on the resovoiur tank thought they had a black plastic screw type cap for them ?

drewsdeville
01-05-12, 06:47 PM
Everything's at your own risk - and it's all preference. One guy will tell you green, another will say Dex, the next guy will say no pellets, and another will counter saying with pellets. 'round and 'round we go.

I find the best recommendation is to use what you like. Coolant's primary purpose is merely to act as a medium to transfer heat energy away from the engine - no rocket science here. However, whatever you do, just be sure to follow the manufacturers maintenance schedule.

Submariner409
01-05-12, 07:20 PM
Coolant exchange - use whatever floats your boat and change it every 3 years, faithfully.

If there are no coolant weeps or leaks now, why dump in some (more) powder/goop ?

Reservoir cap - talk to Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac tomorrow morning - EST - over there >>>>>>>

Ranger
01-06-12, 11:58 PM
If there are no coolant weeps or leaks now, why dump in some (more) powder/goop ?

:yeah: Leave that stuff out of the cooling system.

Chief1993
01-18-12, 03:27 AM
i would definately flush that green garbage out and throw in DexCool

Submariner409
01-18-12, 08:07 AM
DEX-COOL is a recommended 5 year coolant designed to allow today's car driver, who probably does not even know where the oil dipstick is, to feel warm and fuzzy while waiting for some dashboard message like "Help, I'm dying" to pop up before taking it to an Oil Doodle for "service".

Good ol' "'green garbage" is an excellent coolant, now in low - or no-silicate formulas, that has a recommended change interval of 3 years or so - far too frequent for the above typical car owner.

Use either coolant, but perform regular fluid level checks, and change coolant - whatever type - every 3 years.

vincentm
01-18-12, 09:02 AM
dashboard message like "Help, I'm dying" to pop up before taking it to an Oil Doodle for "service".

How awesome would that be if our IPC's did that!

maeng9981
01-18-12, 11:38 AM
Eldo never received the plastic cap.

tateos
01-18-12, 08:59 PM
Factory cap looks like this

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=338861

If you have something like this, there's probably nothing wrong with it - just not OEM:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=48507

Hopefully you're not having any overheating symptoms? I'm a little concerned to hear that you have a replacement cap and water pump and are at 98K miles and a new owner - those are some of the items (along with the radiator) that people often replace before they discover or confirm that leaking head gaskets/pulled cylinder head bolts are the true cause of their overheating. I'm not trying to put the whammy on you - just hope someone didn't sell you a car with undisclosed HG issues (not that we've ever heard of anyone doing that!).

I've always liked the Dexcool, with a few pellets for good measure.