: 2009 CTS-V, 47K miles, new supercharger

mbshoe
01-05-12, 04:08 PM
I got a squealing sound from the Supercharger before Christmas. When I first bought the car, this forum had several folks reporting sounds from a bearing in the supercharger. There was quite a bit of discussion that the V's supercharger had a plastic bearing/bushing instead of a metal one used in the nearly equivalent corvette's supercharger. I had no problem until about 47K miles.

I told the dealer when I brought it in that I thought the sound was coming from the supercharger. He called back later in the day to say that they have some GM document saying squealing is due to the serpentine belt, they're back ordered, and bring it back later. OK, I did. Now I have a new serpentine belt, but the squealing has turned into a much worse sound as something inside the supercharger is clearly destroying itself.

I took it back this morning and asked the service guy to listen to the noise. "Oh, that's not good." A couple of hours later, I get a phone call "Bad bearing in the supercharger. Need a new supercharger."

I tried to tell the dealer that the first time I brought it in. Now GM has needlessly paid for a new serpentine belt plus car rental for me. It makes me wonder if GM (Eaton?) had not saved a few pennies by switching from metal to plastic if I'd be having this problem now.

At least it's still under warranty.

Razorecko
01-05-12, 04:16 PM
I got a squealing sound from the Supercharger before Christmas. When I first bought the car, this forum had several folks reporting sounds from a bearing in the supercharger. There was quite a bit of discussion that the V's supercharger had a plastic bearing/bushing instead of a metal one used in the nearly equivalent corvette's supercharger. I had no problem until about 47K miles.

I told the dealer when I brought it in that I thought the sound was coming from the supercharger. He called back later in the day to say that they have some GM document saying squealing is due to the serpentine belt, they're back ordered, and bring it back later. OK, I did. Now I have a new serpentine belt, but the squealing has turned into a much worse sound as something inside the supercharger is clearly destroying itself.

I took it back this morning and asked the service guy to listen to the noise. "Oh, that's not good." A couple of hours later, I get a phone call "Bad bearing in the supercharger. Need a new supercharger."

I tried to tell the dealer that the first time I brought it in. Now GM has needlessly paid for a new serpentine belt plus car rental for me. It makes me wonder if GM (Eaton?) had not saved a few pennies by switching from metal to plastic if I'd be having this problem now.

At least it's still under warranty.

Have you owned the car from the beginning and was it always stock ?

mbshoe
01-05-12, 04:37 PM
Yes, original owner (March 2009). Completely stock. Never tracked or any other "hard" usage beyond spirited drives through the Tahoe National Forest.

Trapspeed
01-05-12, 10:42 PM
Damn. Good thing you caught it quick. I still don't buy all the rhetoric about the "normal" sound of marbles in the glass jar that GM says is acceptable. I've heard dozens of blowers of all varieties and clearly these sounds are NOT normal. But what do I know?

pmsteinm
01-06-12, 05:04 PM
Based on the OP this doesn't sound like it was the isolator. The dealer said "bad bearing" and mbshoe talks about "squealing". The isolator is the marbles sound. Are there any more details about what was bad in the supercharger?

I've noticed the last few weeks the supercharge whine is much more pronounced and sounds "different" to me. I haven't brought it in yet because I'm not sure the problem isn't just me...

rednumbers
01-07-12, 02:41 AM
Took my car in for the isolator noise and the dealer stated that my supercharger was bad. Could not believe it but they replaced my supercharger. Car has 10k miles and pretty much brand new. Car runs the same with new charger

edsuski
02-06-12, 07:39 PM
47K miles and the supercharger sounded like a faint police siren from inside the car. That tends to make a V driver a little nervous :). The car was completely stock and has been maintained meticulously since day one. How many others have had similar experiences?

The dealer took good care of me. The new supercharger seems to have improved low end torque (presumably due to the more efficient air pumping of the new (tight fitting) unit). All new cars have minor issues - what matters is that the manufacturer stands behind their product. In this case - they did! I still would pay $10K more for this car after owning it for several years! As soon as they offer a higher horsepower model - I will be in line to buy another one!

Ed

smackdownCTSV
02-06-12, 07:53 PM
This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fu6eITTxM0
Or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hacTWzJo_-E

edsuski
02-08-12, 11:16 PM
Much closer to the first - but not quite as loud. From inside the car - it sounded faintly like a police siren from 50 yards away...... Also - once the supercharger was removed - you could turn the pulley about 5 degrees WITHOUT the supercharger turning! The Supercharger "blades" were slightly warn "looking". As if the coating on them had warn off....

What do we think is going on?

mannyz
02-09-12, 04:36 AM
It's the bearing...if it sounds anything like the first one. That was my supercharger in the video. It didnt sound near as loud at first but that was short lived. It got so bad that it would make that noise all the time and not only on cold starts.

Rockey
02-09-12, 11:20 AM
Much closer to the first - but not quite as loud. From inside the car - it sounded faintly like a police siren from 50 yards away...... Also - once the supercharger was removed - you could turn the pulley about 5 degrees WITHOUT the supercharger turning! The Supercharger "blades" were slightly warn "looking". As if the coating on them had warn off....

What do we think is going on?

If the supercharger blades were worn I'd hate to think what havoc the shavings might have caused in the motor that you cant see. Id make sure this is documented by the dealer. Maybe they can scope the motor.

I had my supercharger replaced on my 09 at 31,000 miles. Besides the loud screaching noise it had I also had a low end miss that would come and go periodically. Both symptoms were totally rectified with the new blower. I never thought to ask the dealer if I could see the blades and now you have me a bit concerned. maybe a 434 project will be in the works sooner than i expected.

----------

I also wanted to mention that a bearing failure can and will cause the blades to interfere(rub). If the bearing housing grows out of spec due to the the bearing failing then you can expect some lobe interference.

edsuski
02-09-12, 09:44 PM
The "lobe interference" was just enough to wear off what looked like a Teflon coating. Not enough to send metal shavings into the engine - at least not that I could tell. Being able to rotate the pulley a full 5 degrees without the lobes turning was a little disconcerting.... I wonder what the ultimate fix will be. Of course - the rocks in a can noise is still present - as it is even on brand new cars at the dealership....

mannyz
02-10-12, 01:56 AM
By the way, my V had 30K miles. Seems this number keeps coming up.

zinner
02-10-12, 10:28 AM
The coating coming off the edge isn't a big deal. My LSJ had the same thing happen, same with the marble sound. That first video clip with the really loud whearing doesn't sound good though.