: Comparison, BMW X5M vs. CTS-V Wagon

elphil
01-05-12, 02:30 PM
I like the 0 to 60 in 4 seconds flat with auto. They mention 20" wheels on the Cad. Does the 2012 Vs come with 20" wheels?

When we got the 2012 BMW X5M and the 2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon[/URL] into the Winding Road office at the same time, the idea to put them head to head in a comparison wasn’t an obvious one. The two are very different in a lot of ways. The BMW is much bigger than the Cadillac. The CTS-V is powered by the rear wheels, while the X5M puts power to all four. The German offering’s MSRP begins at $87,250, while the American car starts at a mere $64,515. At first glance then, the comparison seems a bit unfair.

We couldn’t help but notice the similarities in these two functional vehicles, though. Both sport forced-induction V-8 engines offering at least half-a-thousand horsepower. Either one of them could ferry several friends comfortably, or haul home a load from the local hardware store. They each have a special letter attached to their name, denoting a high level of performance. Honestly, any shopper looking for an ultra-high-performance luxury vehicle with some capacity for functionality (a subset of people that we’d like to hang out with more) is going to take a gander at one of these hell-for-leather haulers.

Most importantly, while we had them, we had trouble deciding which car we wanted to drive away with at the end of the workday. So let’s ignore price for a while, and judge these two vehicles in the best way we know how. The important question here is which of these two five-door performance vehicles is the best choice for drivers?

Read more:
[URL]http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/comparison-2012-bmw-x5m-vs-2012-cadillac-cts-v-wagon/ (http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/quick-drive-2011-cadillac-cts-v-wagon/)

dcc8203
01-05-12, 03:54 PM
Nice article, but I have 19s on my 2012.

needspeed
01-05-12, 06:32 PM
That is why I have one of each.......Too much fun :D........Steve

thebigjimsho
01-05-12, 09:53 PM
I saw an X5M in NH with vanity plates that said 555hp. I LOL'd...

M5eater
01-06-12, 08:35 AM
I saw an X5M in NH with vanity plates that said 555hp. I LOL'd...
what that imagry needed was a V with 556HP plates right next to it ;)

thebigjimsho
01-06-12, 09:30 AM
The imagery was in my head. It's why I laugh all the time. I'm not really that demented, ya know...

DrVolkl
01-06-12, 01:07 PM
A decently spec'd out X5M is going to run a good $25k more than a similar V. I checked into them... they're pretty awesome but wasn't worth the extra $$ imo.

If money was no object, it would be a tough choice. Guess it depends on whether you like more car like dynamics or more suv... performance wise they've got to be fairly close (although I can't imagine a track would be too kind to the BMW)

GMX322V S/C
01-06-12, 01:22 PM
Make mine an X6M, lowered 2.5" on H&R springs :yup: although nicely optioned, easily into 6 figures :ill:)

M5eater
01-06-12, 02:07 PM
A decently spec'd out X5M is going to run a good $25k more than a similar V. I checked into them... they're pretty awesome but wasn't worth the extra $$ imo.

If money was no object, it would be a tough choice. Guess it depends on whether you like more car like dynamics or more suv... performance wise they've got to be fairly close (although I can't imagine a track would be too kind to the BMW)

an X5M and X6M are only SUV in that they look like an SUV, practicality, they're boxes with wheels, just like all the other 'performance' SUV's.

DrVolkl
01-06-12, 03:32 PM
an X5M and X6M are only SUV in that they look like an SUV, practicality, they're boxes with wheels, just like all the other 'performance' SUV's.

Well, they weigh a whole lot too... I just can't imagine they'd be fun to drive super fast. (not that my V wagon is any lightweight, but it sure handles well) I'm coming from a 997 Turbo for reference.

M5eater
01-06-12, 04:17 PM
Well, they weigh a whole lot too... I just can't imagine they'd be fun to drive super fast. (not that my V wagon is any lightweight, but it sure handles well) I'm coming from a 997 Turbo for reference.

They're surprising, I'll say that :)

nynd
01-06-12, 04:53 PM
One thing is the BMW is hardcore electronics.. meaning any mods will cost you. On top of that, the software involvement is far more complex. On the X5 I had, it use to take a day to upgrade the software on a module. Half the time because of it failing and the other half because its so interconnected.

Squirlz
01-06-12, 10:09 PM
The wagon stands out while the X5M looks like every other mommy-mobile.

GMX322V S/C
01-06-12, 10:27 PM
They're surprising, I'll say that :)I'll second that: Autobild compares lap times of recent M cars - X5M and-X6M outlap the E60 M5 (http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.php?2016-Autobild-compares-lap-times-of-recent-M-cars-X5-and-X5M-outlap-the-E60-M5)