: Looking to purchase and have a few questions

flatrockguy
01-04-12, 09:13 PM
Hey guy's I'm thinking of buying a new CTS-V sedan in the spring but was just looking for some insight. I'm currently driving an 09 Dodge Charger SRT8 and love the car but need more performance. I also now work for GM instead of Chrysler so I feel that I obviously need to support the company that pay's the bills. I'm going to get the manual tranny and was curous how everyone liked it and if there are any real issues. Another question is how drivable is it. My wife drives the car every now and then to fill her need for speed but will this car be too much for her? It's not like she will really get on it but her daily driver is a minivan:) I'm really excied to get one of these beast's especially after watching the CTS-V episode on top gear, it made me want to go buy one that minute. Is there anything anyone would suggest I get or noy get as far as options? All info will be appreciated. I've always been a Dodge guy but now it's time to move up to a higher standard. I never thought I would be looking to buy a Cadillac at age 42!

Torxila
01-04-12, 09:39 PM
You'll love the 6MT, super easy to drive. Your wife and you will like the hill assist feature! At a stop light if there is a grade (up/down) you just lift up on the electronic "E" brake button which brakes the rear wheels; and when you push the clutch in and select 1st gear, as you let out the clutch the E-brake releases automatically.
Get the suede steering wheel and shift knob option which also comes with aluminium pedals. Recaro seats are a must! Wood trim is real nice as well.
Pano-Roof? take it or leave it, ratttles creaks, lots of complaints.

Flatrock? as in MI?
Regards,
George

baabootoo
01-05-12, 12:53 AM
Yes, skip the sun roof!!!!!! These engines are soooooo smooth and docile, until you nail it, then hang on!

B T Williams
01-05-12, 01:25 PM
I was also concerned as to whether or not a CTS-V would be too much of a handful for my wife to use as an occasional driver. I subsequently learned that a CTS-V can be as docile as a V6 CTS during September 2010 when my wife and I had the opportunity to attend the Cadillac V Performance Academy event at Palm Beach International Raceway. It was raining when each of us had our turns in driving a CTS-V on the road course. My wife was completedly at ease with the CTS-V's power and handling on a wet road course. And I was able to go full throttle on the straights in the rain. The CTS-V's stability control system is impressive, to say the least.

Immediately after that event, I ordered a 2011 CTS-V sedan (auto trans) and took delivery December 7, 2010. The only option I ordered was wood trim. I did not order the following options for the reasons indicated: (1) sunroof (chassis flex and squeak issues); (2) Recaro seats (standard seats more comfortable for me); (3) suede steering wheel / shifter and aluminum brake / throttle pedals (appearance durability concerns); (4) polished wheels (prefer painted wheel look); (5) engine block heater (not needed in Florida).

In 13 months of ownership, I have had no problems with my CTS-V other than the front wheel clicking issue that all CTS-V's have. That was addressed by the dealer when I took my CTS-V in for its annual maintenance.

I partcularly enjoy early Sunday morning 0 to 120 MPH blasts in my CTS-V. The CTS-V is one awsome machine! Buy one. You won't regret it.

P-Dawger
01-05-12, 01:46 PM
I am in the same boat - coming from Chryco - Jeep SRT8. I am cross shopping alot of cars including the new Jeep SRT8. At 42 did not think I would be looking at a Cadzilla either but with 556 HP and all the cars I am cross shopping hovering around the 60-70k mark - it fits in. I would def get the manual trans. In terms of the Caddy a wagon might be a bit more practicle (3 small boys). Was looking at the S4 (not enough performance really) and can't wrap my mind around buying a V6 for a performance car. My criteria is as close to 500hp as possible. M3 Sedan (used) C63 sedan, Jeep, and the caddy sedan or wagon are all in the mix. I had an e39 M5 which was a little "delicate" in my mind (clutch) and everything was pretty expensive to maintain and the car was just too big given the 400hp so performance was marginal. I bought the Jeep SRT8 and sold the M5 since it sat in the garage -Jeep was way more fun. So that is what I am looking for now a fun daily driver. I have an old Rover for bad weather and a 911 for track days so something fun and high hp for a daily is my aim.

Having not driven the Caddy I have no real input for you other than I have not heard anything bad and as the mags say it is about as near perfect as you can get for the performance/features/money.

The Jeep SRT8 has AWD which is great for rain/snow, remote start, rear DVD(again for kids) so am leaning, plus my old SRT8 was bullet proof, stomp and go over and over. The caddy is end of the lifecycle and I don't expect significant model changes for 2013 - don't like to get the last model year. So decisions decisions...prolly make a purchase summer/fall of 2012.

One cool thing is that I saw where if you get the wagon you can go to detroit and watch it being made (maybe anothe forum had this)

Thoughts?

JFJr
01-05-12, 01:47 PM
There really aren't any issues with the manual transmission. It's very well integrated with the throttle pressure and is easy to drive, although you may have to engage the clutch in 1st gear with a little more rpm to keep things smooth. It even launches pretty well in 3rd gear (ha haa! I did it by accident). The car is a p***ycat around town and can be driven like any other Cadillac, but the aggressive engine note gets some attention. Also, it is surprisingly comfortable on long trips.

Jud

Houdini
01-05-12, 01:58 PM
Yep, get the manual, recaros, and the suede option. It's the best shifting manual I've driven. Very easy and the throw is plenty short enough. I like my ultraview but could have done without it. So far my sunroof has not made any noises with just over 10k miles.

flatrockguy
01-05-12, 09:13 PM
Another question is there any major differences between the 2010-2012. I've seen a few really low mileage (less than 10K) cars for really good prices that may save a few bucks, but I've also never bought a used car and not sure if I want to start. I like to be the one to break it in. Also, does Cadillac offer a track experience with the purchase of a new car? The SRT group from dodge does and it was a blast because you got to use their cars and beat them all day long then jump in yours and go home.

Trapspeed
01-05-12, 10:36 PM
I was a convert from a 300 SRT-8 and while I loved that car the V just stomps its ass. The V's cabin is a tad tighter squeeze but not that much. I couldn't be happier with this monster. I have never owned a car that gets this much attention anywhere I go.

thebigjimsho
01-05-12, 11:11 PM
Hey guy's I'm thinking of buying a new CTS-V sedan in the spring but was just looking for some insight. I'm currently driving an 09 Dodge Charger SRT8 and love the car but need more performance. I also now work for GM instead of Chrysler so I feel that I obviously need to support the company that pay's the bills. I'm going to get the manual tranny and was curous how everyone liked it and if there are any real issues. Another question is how drivable is it. My wife drives the car every now and then to fill her need for speed but will this car be too much for her? It's not like she will really get on it but her daily driver is a minivan:) I'm really excied to get one of these beast's especially after watching the CTS-V episode on top gear, it made me want to go buy one that minute. Is there anything anyone would suggest I get or noy get as far as options? All info will be appreciated. I've always been a Dodge guy but now it's time to move up to a higher standard. I never thought I would be looking to buy a Cadillac at age 42!My mother loved her Forester XT. It was fast but a suitable DD for her. So when she had to trade it in for a non-turbo Legacy, she was sad. So every once in awhile she would ask to borrow my 440hp V1.

She wasn't comfortable driving my 630hp V2 because of the insaneness of the power numbers. I insisted it was easier to drive than the old car. She agrees. She said she could drive it all day long like her Legacy. She did find it funny how everyone stared and wanted to race. I wouldn't be surprised if she gave a little show on a few of those occasions...

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-06-12, 11:52 AM
Here is a list of the differences between the 2010-2011 and then the 2011-2012 CTS-V Sedan.
The differences between 2010-2011 are:
Deletions
• Exterior color (GBO) Blue Diamond Tricoat
• Exterior color (GIP) Black Cherry

New Features
• (PCH) Black Diamond CTS-V Special Edition
• Exterior color (GLK) Black Diamond Tricoat. Included and only available when (PCH)
• Black Diamond CTS-V Special Edition is ordered.
• (SFE) LPO, Wheel locks
• (FE5) 19" All-Season Tire Package. Includes (Q2B) P245/45R19 all-season blackwall tires and (KB7) steering-wheel mounted paddle shift controls
• (WBP) CTS Appearance Package. Includes (C8T) clear taillamps, (UHN) 18" painted wheels, (53F) sueded steering wheel rim and shifter knob, (JF5) metal brake and accelerator pedals, (E20) chrome door handles and (TL1) special grille color
• Exterior color (GAR) Black Ice Metallic. Available at extra charge.
• Exterior color (GGU) Evolution Green Metallic.
• (Q2B) P245/45R19 all season blackwall tires. Included and only available in (FE5) 19" All-Season Tire Package.
• (UVC) Rearview camera now part of (Y40) Level One Luxury Package.

The differences between the 2011 and the 2012 are:
Deletions
• 1SF PEG from 3.0L models 6DM69/6DG69
• (MN6) 6-speed manual transmission on 3.6L models 6DP69/6DH69
• Exterior color (GAR) Black Ice Metallic
• Exterior color (GGU) Evolution Green Metallic
• Exterior color (GGX) Tuscan Bronze ChromaFlair
• Exterior color (GIM) Vanilla Latte Metallic
• Interior trim (AFG) Ebony seats with Cashmere sueded fabric inserts (CTS-V Sedan)
• Interior trim (AAY) Light Titanium seats with Light Titanium sueded fabric inserts (Sedan).
• Interior trim code (AFO) Ebony with Ebony sueded fabric inserts. (Sedan)

New Features
• New grille (Non V-Series)
• (TL1) Sport grille. Included and only available in (WBL) CTS Touring Package.
• (WBL) CTS Touring Package. Available on 1SD PEG. Package includes (Y42) 18" All-Season Tire Performance Package, (AQ9) front bucket seats, (UHN) 18" x 8.5" painted Pearl Nickel wheels, (53F) sueded steering wheel rim and shift knob, (JF5) sport alloy pedals, (E20) chrome door handles, (TL1) sport grille, (3AS) Midnight Sapele Wood Trim Package and (TS6) V-Series CHMSL.
• (WBL) CTS Touring Package. Available on 1SH PEG. Package includes (Y42) 18" All-Season Tire Performance Package (AWD model), (Y43) 19" Summer Tire Performance Package (RWD model), (W2E) Recaro performance seats, (RT9) 19" x 8.5" polished aluminum wheels, (53F) sueded steering wheel rim and shift knob, (JF5) sport alloy pedals, (E20) chrome door handles, (TL1) sport grille, (3AS) Midnight Sapele Wood Trim Package and (TS6) V-Series CHMSL.
• Interior trim (AFM) Ebony seats with Ebony sueded fabric material inserts. Only available with (WBL) CTS Touring Package.
• Interior trim (AFN) Light Titanium seats with Light Titanium sueded fabric material inserts. Only available with (WBL) CTS Touring Package.
• Exterior color (GLK) Black Diamond Tricoat. Available at extra charge.
• Exterior color (GTR) Opulent Blue Metallic
• (CE1) Rainsense wipers. Included in (Y40) Luxury Level One Package. Standard on CTS-V Sedan.
• Active front head restraints
• (VAV) LPO, All-weather floor mats. (Not available on CTS-V Sedan).
• (VEB) LPO, Pedal cover set. (Not available on CTS-V Sedan).

Changes
• Changed XM Radio to SiriusXM Satellite Radio
• (BTV) Remote start moves from (Y41) Luxury Level Two Package to (Y44) Seating Package
• (UPF) Bluetooth for Phone changes from included in (Y44) Seating Package to Standard
• (W2E) Recaro performance seats offered only with 3.6L (WBL) CTS Touring Package and CTS-V Sedan.
• (UHN) Wheels receive a new painted Pearl Nickel finish and are included and only available in (WBL) CTS Touring Package.
• Charcoal Gray contrast stitching added to Ebony interior door and console armrest
I hope that this helps!
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

oneman42
01-06-12, 02:40 PM
Breanne, thanks for that info. I will be buying one soon, not quite sure the year though as each has its own advantages: 2009 extended warranty, Rainsense wipers, etc. 2011 has the backup camera. As far I read correctly the 2010 does not have rainsense wipers nor the backup camera. Is that correct or not?
Thanks,
George

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-09-12, 09:58 AM
Oneman42,
Do you happen to have the VIN number of the vehicle that you are looking at? If you want to send it to me I will be able to tell you if these options are available on your vehicle.
Breanne

oneman42
01-09-12, 11:21 AM
Oneman42,
Do you happen to have the VIN number of the vehicle that you are looking at? If you want to send it to me I will be able to tell you if these options are available on your vehicle.
Breanne
Breanne, thanks for your support. I will definitely run the VIN by you when the time will come, at the moment I don't know which one will be.
Thanks,
George