: Oil Spraying Before Winter?

CTSVKINGWAGON
01-04-12, 01:38 AM
I've heard about oil spraying the underbody and I was wondering whether it is a requirement before winter. If so, will my dealership do it and is it safe for all the wierd wires underneath connected to the magnetic shocks (I'm talking about a Yukon Denali Hybrid, not the V)?

Nutz
01-04-12, 11:12 AM
:hmm:

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-04-12, 11:47 AM
:hmm:

Ditto or HUH?

smackdownCTSV
01-04-12, 12:42 PM
Ditto or HUH?

or wrong Forum.

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-04-12, 01:43 PM
or wrong Forum.

Well, I've heard of old farmers spraying their new tractors with oil then coating them with dirt (which stuck pretty good to the oil) for a form of 'protection'. I thought that was pretty far fetched but are we actually spraying the underside of autos with oil for protection? I'll pass on that, thank you!

M5eater
01-04-12, 01:53 PM
I can't say I have heard of oil-spray either.. logicaly it makes a little sense, but having the underbody washed once a month will accomplish the same thing.

keithsm2
01-04-12, 02:33 PM
My dad used to have his cars undercoated....it was like a spray on tar or "bedliner" type stuff.....Supposed to protect frame and stuff from salt and the like......also insulated the car from some road noise......Havent heard of it being done in last 20 years though...

jnjj
01-04-12, 02:45 PM
You mean Ziebart? What a scam! Bethca the oil companies would just love for everyone to start spraying their underbody with oil. Can't you just see the bean counters at Mobil/Exxon right now?

Unclemelty
01-04-12, 02:47 PM
I had an undercoating installed, by the dealer, on my 2001 Chevy pickup 10 years ago. Salt and the inevitable rust aren't too much of an issue here in Texas, so I can't speak for this, however this undercoating has had an interesting side effect. This undercoating will most definitely ruin your clothing if you are working on your vehicle from underneath. Nearly every time I'm beneath the vehicle I come away with this tar-like substance all over my arms and clothes. I can say that after 11 years (135K miles) the underside of my truck still looks quite nice, just keep the side effect in mind. Of course if you weigh rust versus mess, I'll choose the mess any day.

David Nicholas
01-04-12, 06:57 PM
It's certainly not required, but I, (and many I know), for years have sprayed the undersides with a light coating of water-dispersing oil AFTER washing the salt off during the winter. The oil drives out the remaining moisture and decidedly retards rusting, particularly around suspension components.

My current practice is a cheap paint-spray gun filled with a mix of WD-40 and 5% lithium grease, (to resist wash-off). I spray it on after every car wash. Takes about 2 minutes. It sure makes it easy to take apart my older cars when they need shocks, struts, gas-tank, etc.

JimmyH
01-04-12, 10:43 PM
My dad used to have his cars undercoated....it was like a spray on tar or "bedliner" type stuff.....Supposed to protect frame and stuff from salt and the like......also insulated the car from some road noise......Havent heard of it being done in last 20 years though...

that's because it will seal off the drain holes and trap water inside the chassis

baabootoo
01-04-12, 11:51 PM
Old wives tale! Put plastic down on the ground so mositure won't get onto the car.

garfin
01-05-12, 08:50 AM
We have an outfit in Canada called Krown Rust Control that has developed a great reputation over many years with documented success. using an oil spray. This is the second year I've had the application done before winter. They suggest to have the annual application before the weather gets cold so that the oil spreads more easily into all the nooks and crannies. I just didn't let them drill holes in any of the car's panels.
I use the car as a DD and I also tend to keep my cars for a fairly long time, so I figured it can't hurt. I'll post an update in 10 years or so! LOL!

Best regards,

Elie

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-06-12, 07:23 AM
Even a tiny bit of protection from the salt highway deicer would be a good thing. Is it actually an oil or is it like an undercoating? No color? Sounds like it is reapplied every year? :confused:

garfin
01-06-12, 08:32 AM
Even a tiny bit of protection from the salt highway deicer would be a good thing. Is it actually an oil or is it like an undercoating? No color? Sounds like it is reapplied every year? :confused:

My feeling exactly - which is why I decided to not have them drill the holes. Some protection is better than no protection.
It is an oil rather than a substance that has tar-like qualities. The oil is sprayed with a wand. There is a noticeable amount of dripping off the perimeter of the car for a couple of days after the application. I put cardboard under the perimeter of the car on the garage floor during this time. After a few days, the oil seems to congeal a bit from what I've observed under the hood and the fact that the dripping stops.
Not sure what color, but it is not clear... and yes, it's applied annually.

Best regards,

Elie

neuronbob
01-06-12, 01:29 PM
I don't use oil and in fact I don't know any here in salt-infested, wintry Cleveland, who does it. I just wash the chassis on a regular basis during the winter at my neighborhood spray wash. In fact, it's time to do it today to get this week's salt off. :) Thanks for the reminder.

BWhite58
01-17-12, 08:02 PM
I know some snowplowing pickup truck owners who spray the undercarriage with Fluid Film . To prevent the corrosion from salt . It works .

FastKat
01-20-12, 12:34 AM
I've heard of old-timers saying it's a great idea (thanks dad) but I have never tried it and never seen anyone do it. Then again, I have an old Jag where the oil used to find new and creative ways to escape from the engine. It makes the engine bay dirty and grimey but the oil keeps the rust away.