: Ashtray fix

caddycritter
01-04-12, 12:44 AM
Now that we all figured out that the problem is that the cigarette lighter flops downs and prevents it from opening. Remove the dashcover and take out the ashtray unit. Drilled a small hole under the front of the lighter and put a screw in it this will prevent it from dropping down.

BLACKllac
01-04-12, 12:52 AM
where is the rest of this thread?

tomm
01-04-12, 12:17 PM
Now that we all figured out that the problem is that the cigarette lighter flops downs and prevents it from opening. Remove the dashcover and take out the ashtray unit. Drilled a small hole under the front of the lighter and put a screw in it this will prevent it from dropping down.

I just bought a new one for $50 from a salvage yard just yesterday. I guess I could have done this but I kind of broke it more trying to get it open.

CTBB
01-04-12, 06:38 PM
I found the problem to be that the little plastic pin that is supposed to follow it's track as the ashtray opens, pivoting the lighter up, had broken, allowing the lighter to drop, blocking the tray from opening, and was impossible to fix. Bought an "old stock" one off ebay for a song. Good idea to original poster. I was about to resort to that kind of fix when I finally found a reasonably priced replacement. Dealer wanted like $400!!

Glenn

tomm
01-04-12, 06:55 PM
I found the problem to be that the little plastic pin that is supposed to follow it's track as the ashtray opens, pivoting the lighter up, had broken, allowing the lighter to drop, blocking the tray from opening, and was impossible to fix. Bought an "old stock" one off ebay for a song. Good idea to original poster. I was about to resort to that kind of fix when I finally found a reasonably priced replacement. Dealer wanted like $400!!

Glenn

Exact same problem. Took me almost 15 minutes with it removed in my hands to figure out why I could not pry it open. Guy on ebay is selling a new one for $200 but called around to salvage yards and found one for $50. There is one on Car-Part.com for $100 if someone else needs one.

wrinkles88
01-04-12, 06:55 PM
Can anyone give me a part number for the ashtray? I believe the clip broke on the back of mine.

tomm
01-04-12, 06:57 PM
Can anyone give me a part number for the ashtray? I believe the clip broke on the back of mine.

There were 4 different part numbers depending on the finish. Mine was 25790289

wrinkles88
01-04-12, 07:13 PM
There were 4 different part numbers depending on the finish. Mine was 25790289

Can you recommend a site where I can look it up?

CTBB
01-04-12, 07:17 PM
Believe it or not I got mine for $6.50 + shipping. Not quite a match of woodgrain, but if that ever really bugs me enough I'll just pull it again and swap the woodgrain cover. I have one off an '07 V that's slightly different (WTH?) that won't stay closed(broken gearwheel on the bottom of the tray) and my old broken one if anyone is just looking to cannibalize parts.

Glenn

tsbvvv
12-23-12, 02:31 PM
Glenn,

Looking for a door for my 2005 STS ashtray. I bought the car and the door was missing. Just need something to glue on the face as I dont use the ashtray at all. The tray is being held in with a small wedge to keep it from sliding open. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Todd

EChas3
12-23-12, 05:07 PM
Try an nearby auto recycler. They have a network.