: playing the radio in accessory mode

corvette00
01-03-12, 08:08 AM
I like to listen to the xm radio when I am drying my vehicle after a wash. It seems I can only play the radio for about 10 mins before everything shuts-down with a low battery warning. Am I not moving the key to the correct position or are the batteries too week to power these vehicles for very long?

Big Windy Ext
01-03-12, 08:31 AM
Turn your dome lights and autoheadlights off. The power retain times out after 10 minutes also and you have to turn the key on and off. The dual battery mod is always an option.

hcvone
01-03-12, 09:44 AM
What you are seeing is pretty common, I could get about 30 minutes before having to jump the truck, and for the very reason you state, that is why I tracked down the dual battery thing about 6 years ago. You have to remember with the bose system every speaker has an amp, so there is a lot of power being sucked out of the battery, so after going to my local Police and asking them if I could look under the new Tahoe hood, I think they thought I was drinking, until I explaned it to them, after seeing the Police tahoe I figured if it was good enough for them it was good enough for me, have had it in every truck and would not be without it, MAYBE GM WILL READ THIS AND OFFER IT AS AN OPTION.

hannity
01-03-12, 10:26 AM
I like to listen to the xm radio when I am drying my vehicle after a wash. It seems I can only play the radio for about 10 mins before everything shuts-down with a low battery warning. Am I not moving the key to the correct position or are the batteries too week to power these vehicles for very long?

Most manufacturers give the bare minimum battery required to operate the vehicle. When it comes to gm it's all about profit so you know the very minimum is given to us in regards of the battery ( among other things). Get an Optima battery. I have seen lots of people have the dead battery issue and have installed a second battery. This is an issue I have not gone through, however I never listen to the radio or watch dvd's in the accessory mode in my lade just because of the battery issue. Get an optima battery and if you still have issues then you should see about having a second battery installed. There is a thread on here about the second battery install, good luck.

Big Windy Ext
01-03-12, 10:59 AM
At least GM provides a battery tray for a second battery,so if the original battery doesn't cut it for some owners there are provisions to install a second battery,it seems like a profit loser to me . They also have an optional dual alternator set-up.GM knows how to build trucks,something the Japanese don't quite have a handle on.Hannity nows a great time to trade that pile,high resale ,winter,etc,you can pick up one of those radioactive wonders that are so much better and live the good life. You won't have to fret about GM's bottom line. Another plus,you can go troll away to the other brands forums.We can only dream I guess.