: Reliable tuning shops in Las Vegas area

BLC
01-03-12, 03:53 AM
Hi guys, I am soon to be the proud new owner of an '11 V sedan. Im looking to add an upper pulley, intake, headers, injectors, and tune pretty soon. I am wondering if there are any recommended tuners here in Vegas? I was originally planning to make the drive to D3 but their pricing seems a bit high compared to other options. Also, id rather have someone closer in case there are any issues with the tune. Any recommendations on local tuners if I just order all the parts online? Any recommendations on places to purchase (LPE, W4M, etc.)? Thanks for any help guys.

JetFuelOnly
01-03-12, 04:16 AM
I wish I had some good info for you, but at least I'll be subscribed to this thread in case something comes up. I plan on picking up a V in the next couple months (if I can find one). I've always done my own mod installs on my car and even did my tuning. But I know I'm not that great at it. Surely there are a few places in town that can do the installs, but as for the tune I'd rather leave it to V-experienced people. I know D3 is high, but I'll probably end up installing everything and if they will, send me an ECM with a basic tune to run the new injectors and cam to properly limp it to CA for a custom tune. There's not much to worry about as long as you aren't pushing the car to the limits on a basic tune. Just need it not to run pig rich on big injectors.

I'll also check with a couple buddies running LS motors and see what they know. Also, we'll have to get together and see what kind of Vegas crew there is after we get our cars! Still can't decide sedan or coupe!!

kirbyCTSV
01-03-12, 03:08 PM
KDI is in phx...might be worth the drive.

BLC
01-03-12, 05:05 PM
very good point, I was considering them also. Kinda sucks that it looks like there really aren't any good shops out here. Kinda confusing since it seems like it would be a good market.

----------

I wish I had some good info for you, but at least I'll be subscribed to this thread in case something comes up. I plan on picking up a V in the next couple months (if I can find one). I've always done my own mod installs on my car and even did my tuning. But I know I'm not that great at it. Surely there are a few places in town that can do the installs, but as for the tune I'd rather leave it to V-experienced people. I know D3 is high, but I'll probably end up installing everything and if they will, send me an ECM with a basic tune to run the new injectors and cam to properly limp it to CA for a custom tune. There's not much to worry about as long as you aren't pushing the car to the limits on a basic tune. Just need it not to run pig rich on big injectors.

I'll also check with a couple buddies running LS motors and see what they know. Also, we'll have to get together and see what kind of Vegas crew there is after we get our cars! Still can't decide sedan or coupe!!

Sounds good, keep me posted.

Fireverm
01-05-12, 02:03 PM
I have been living here in Vegas for over 13 years and before my V I had a 2005 GTO that I had turboed and a 95 Z28. I have dealt with many of the shops in town and have been disappointed with every one of them. I plan on taking my V down to KDI in Phoenix when I do the rest of my mods.

mrl859
01-05-12, 02:58 PM
What about Shelby Performance? I think they do all makes and models and certainly know a thing or two about performance upgrades.

Fireverm
01-05-12, 03:20 PM
I have not gone to Shelby myself. But with the previous experiences I have had I'm wanting to stick to tuners who have plenty of experience with my specific car. I've been to tuners who had great reputations but couldn't properly tune my particular setup to save their lives. Unfortunately, the good work I have had done were by shops that have moved or went out of business.

After futzing around the forums since I bought my V in May and having less than stellar personal experiences with both D3 and W4M, I'm going to be going forward with KDI. I like what they offer as far as their HX and their meth kits and they are the closest tuner I'm interested in going to.

On another note, when are we going to put together a Vegas V meet? There seem to be enough of us now...shit, there is even another BD sedan in my neighborhood somewhere.

ABest62
01-05-12, 04:59 PM
I have not gone to Shelby myself. But with the previous experiences I have had I'm wanting to stick to tuners who have plenty of experience with my specific car. I've been to tuners who had great reputations but couldn't properly tune my particular setup to save their lives. Unfortunately, the good work I have had done were by shops that have moved or went out of business.

After futzing around the forums since I bought my V in May and having less than stellar personal experiences with both D3 and W4M, I'm going to be going forward with KDI. I like what they offer as far as their HX and their meth kits and they are the closest tuner I'm interested in going to.

On another note, when are we going to put together a Vegas V meet? There seem to be enough of us now...shit, there is even another BD sedan in my neighborhood somewhere.

Im probably gonna give Shelby a chance to tune my car, since like we were discussing on my other thread,, I think I need a 91 octane tune. As soon as I get headers installed, I'll schedule a tune with Shelby. I'm hoping for 600 whp. When I got it dynoed in October, I found out afterwards that the dealer I bought the car from did not clean the K&N like they claimed and it was completely plugged solid with dirt and bugs,,, I also did the air-box bottom modification, so that along with headers should get me close to the the extra 31 whp I need. But if my car does really have a 93 octane tune right now, that may be optimistic at 91 octane. I'll let you know how it goes when the time comes. We are in the process of buying a house, so might be a little while yet.

Gary Wells
01-05-12, 05:13 PM
Im probably gonna give Shelby a chance to tune my car, since like we were discussing on my other thread,, I think I need a 91 octane tune. As soon as I get headers installed, I'll schedule a tune with Shelby. I'm hoping for 600 whp. When I got it dynoed in October, I found out afterwards that the dealer I bought the car from did not clean the K&N like they claimed and it was completely plugged solid with dirt and bugs,,, I also did the air-box bottom modification, so that along with headers should get me close to the the extra 31 whp I need. But if my car does really have a 93 octane tune right now, that may be optimistic at 91 octane. I'll let you know how it goes when the time comes. We are in the process of buying a house, so might be a little while yet.

What RWHP and / or RWTQ are you running now.

ABest62
01-05-12, 05:42 PM
What RWHP and / or RWTQ are you running now.

List of Mods:
Lingenfelter 2.55" upper supercharger pulley
Lingenfelter 9.1" crank pulley
Lingenfelter CAI
Lingenfelter GT9 blower camshaft
Lingenfelter valve springs and push rods
Tuning by Redline Motorsports
Corsa Sport Exhaust

I had it dynoed at Shelby here in Vegas, they were great guys and loved the V!! The actually pulled a Super Snake off the dyno to make way for the Caddy. The torque value is unusually high for V2s,, typically you see close to matching HP/TQ numbers. I found that strange, but cant complain. Here is the sheet:

Dr. Design
01-05-12, 07:46 PM
Hello,
Give us a call and let us get you a quote. I think you will find our pricing is actually quite competitive compared to other companies. Our products are all top notch and our approach is unparalleled when it comes to Cadillac's. We have local transporters here on the west coast and get many cars from AZ, NV, WA, NM, all the time. We also have a really good support network given your location.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac
562-595-8518

Hi guys, I am soon to be the proud new owner of an '11 V sedan. Im looking to add an upper pulley, intake, headers, injectors, and tune pretty soon. I am wondering if there are any recommended tuners here in Vegas? I was originally planning to make the drive to D3 but their pricing seems a bit high compared to other options. Also, id rather have someone closer in case there are any issues with the tune. Any recommendations on local tuners if I just order all the parts online? Any recommendations on places to purchase (LPE, W4M, etc.)? Thanks for any help guys.

LV_V
01-06-12, 02:02 AM
@JetFuelOnly I read your first post and thought I was reading my own words! lol I'm also looking for a V, can't decide between sedan or coupe, and am going to aim for 600rwhp. Def need to have a big meet up later this Spring.

NAX-121
01-09-12, 03:05 AM
Im a new ower of an 09 CTS V sedan. Would like to know more about any possible meets. Love the car and would like to meet other Vegas V owners for input on mods ect.

FLTRI
01-09-12, 04:26 AM
http://www.nevarezracing.com/gil.php

Not a better GM tuner anywhere...

ABest62
01-09-12, 11:25 AM

Are they still open? Their website gallery doesnt have any activity since 2008-2009. I drove through the whole complex out at the raceway recently and didnt see that shop. Could have missed it I guess..

Fireverm
01-09-12, 12:20 PM

I hate them. I dealt with them for 2 years and they ruined, literally ruined, 2 of my cars.

FLTRI
01-09-12, 02:26 PM
Are they still open? Their website gallery doesnt have any activity since 2008-2009. I drove through the whole complex out at the raceway recently and didnt see that shop. Could have missed it I guess..

Gil is working for Shelby, and does customer cars as well. You're right the name has changed, found that site through google. Can't find his card right now, I'll try and get his contact info and post it...

JetFuelOnly
01-10-12, 04:42 AM
I hate them. I dealt with them for 2 years and they ruined, literally ruined, 2 of my cars.
Wow, that's quite a statement! I'm interested in the details!:bouncy:

sykoV
01-10-12, 11:13 AM
Are they still open? Their website gallery doesnt have any activity since 2008-2009. I drove through the whole complex out at the raceway recently and didnt see that shop. Could have missed it I guess.. you are correct they are closed. I have used LEP for my corvette and plan to have them do the V when the time comes.

Fireverm
01-10-12, 02:11 PM
Wow, that's quite a statement! I'm interested in the details!:bouncy:

you are correct they are closed. I have used LEP for my corvette and plan to have them do the V when the time comes.

The Gil situation is as follows: I had a 2005 GTO that I turbocharged that was making 532 RWHP at 7psi (up from 323 stock) and it was awesome. The car was plenty drive-able with low turbo lag and pulled strong from as low as 2500 rpm. A few years down the road I started not making as much power as I had previously and the guy who originally did the install closed his shop and went to work for Gil at NRP. So I head down there to see if they can troubleshoot why the car isn't performing as well. First they thought the clutch was slipping so we swapped that out. Didn't fix it. Than I notice I can't make more than 4psi so they start swapping out wastegate springs (settling on a 20lb spring to try and make 7!). That didn't fix it either. They try to retune it. Again, no dice. All of this costing me time and money.

This work was done over the course of a year and change. Every time I brought it down there I told them I want it dynoed before I get it back. And they would have no problem charging me for it but something always came up so that I never saw the sheets. Like the printer is out of ink or there is something wrong with the computer or a "oh shit, it didn't save that run".

Rewind about 6 months before the last work on my GTO was done and we can begin the saga of my other car. I ask them to recommend a good shop to get the 100k mile service done on my commuter car and they say that they can do the work right there. At this point I still think they are doing good work so I agree. Well not only was it super expensive, but after the service was done my commuter car is blowing blue smoke and the tranny shifts weird. 7 months later my tranny grenades and we figure out they put the wrong tranny fluid in. Even though they admit to putting the wrong fluid in, it's a humongous battle that lasts 2 or 3 months and then finally they get around to putting in a used tranny with like 150k miles in. (all the while I have to drive my Goat 70 miles a day to work)

So at this point my GTO still doesn't make power and my commuter car has been wrung through the ringer. I've spent a grip of cash and gotten attitude at almost every step. So I just wash my hands of them and chalk it all up to a hard lesson learned and start just dealing with my 2 slightly ****ed up cars.

Now on to LEP:

Fast forward another year and not only can't I stand that my Goat isn't making real power anymore but it goes into limp mode after I get balls deep in it one time. I had been looking and asking around this whole time and I had heard some good things about LEP so I gave Garth over there a call.

He gets me in and figures out immediately that the problem with not making as much boost was a simple vacuum leak. He fixes that, and only that, but can't retune because of course Gil's boys locked the ECU. Calls to Gil and them fall through and so under LEP's suggestion, I first try and go to 2 different Chevy dealers to see if they can force the factory programming over my ECU. Predictably, it doesn't work (but of course they still charge me). So my only option is to get another ECU. I tried a used one first, but if you are still reading this already you can guess that didn't work. So I spend another 4 digit sum buying a new ECU and getting it programmed by a Chevy dealer.

I limp the car with the new ecu and factory tune over to Garth and he tunes it. He says it's making about 490 RWHP @ 8psi and there was no way that it was making more than that previously. I understand there are differences in dynoes and every one tunes differently so I don't argue and just want to be happy that I'm making close to what I was making before. I ask him if we can just go over the whole setup and see if there is anything else that needs to be repaired or done to the car. He insists that I take the car as is and see if I like it this way.

Unfortunately the story doesn't end here.

So on the way home I get into it and notice that she doesn't start building steam till almost 4k now (previously 2500) and the car is peaking at about 14psi even though it was tuned for 8. I call Garth and he tells me that it should be alright, the car will just pull a bunch of timing and I'll need to start putting 100 octane in it to be safe. He goes on to explain that the difference in boost is because he has a non-loading dyno and on the street the car will be under full load. I'm pissed about the 100 octane in particular because even if I didn't mind how much it costs, there are just so few stations that carry it here.

For the next few weeks me and my wife drive around and take friends for drives and the consensus is that the car definitely feels more laggy now and certainly pulled from a much lower rpm when it was originally set up.

About this time the car is due for registration and we go to get it smogged. Now mind you, I have never had a problem passing smog the entire life of this car including the 4 years the turbo has been on it. Well this time the car doesn't pass smog because not all of the monitors are set. I find this strange since we have driven a few hundred miles since the last time the computer had been reset and that should have been ample time to have set the drive cycle. I put another few hundred miles on the car following the instructions on how to complete a GM driving cycle to no avail. The car fails 3 more subsequent smog tests.

I call Garth for help and he tells me he has no ideas except going and "acquiring" a passing smog test if you know what I mean. He also doesn't know anyone so I'm on my own. Luckily I have some contacts and made it happen.

I go away on a business trip for a few months and upon my return I call LEP to see if we can get the car back in to really tune it right and get it back to where it used to be. Long story short, he should it couldn't be done and that the car was now as good as it was ever gonna be. Between this and just the not so great vibe I got from their shop I decided I was done giving them my business. They weren't bad, I was just not happy with them.

Realizing that this Goat was now just a losing battle and that I found yet another shop that I couldn't trust, I decided to cut my losses and dump the GTO and bought my CTS-V a few days later.

I wrote this a continuous stream so I might have missed a few details so feel free to ask for clarification.

FLTRI
01-10-12, 03:33 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience.

All I know is I trust Gil, so does Shelby and a lot of friends in the Las Vegas Corvette Assoc...

Found his card, should anyone want to contact him...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/FLTRI/GilCard.jpg

GM-4-LIFE
01-10-12, 05:53 PM
Fireverm,

Seems like you had money to burn and the tuners you went to kind of had that gist.

What did you go with the GTO?

It's another reason why I don't do more than intake, exhaust and tune on my cars anymore. My W4M tunes were not that great and gas mileage went down to shit. I put my stock tune back in and my car runs better and gets way better mileage. I guess I have an SCT tuner paper weight now. I don't really trust any local tuners after hearing all the horror stories.

JetFuelOnly
01-10-12, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the details, sorry to hear that. A used tranny for your commuter car after they put the wrong stuff in? Screw that, that's what their insuranceis for (although they probably aren't covered for dumbass negligence). I had met Garth once in my search for race gas, and last year I went looking for his shop that I had been to once. I never found it. Is he still in business? I guess when someone boasts about their amazing turbo vipers, you might think they know what they are doing, but perhaps we don't know how many he has gone through. :P

mrl859
01-11-12, 01:59 AM
As of a year ago, Gil runs the dyno at Shelby performance. They probably bought him out and brought him into the Shelby fold. The performance shop is across the parking lot from Shelby American. Really nice guy.

FLTRI
01-12-12, 01:47 PM
It's another reason why I don't do more than intake, exhaust and tune on my cars anymore. My W4M tunes were not that great and gas mileage went down to shit. I put my stock tune back in and my car runs better and gets way better mileage. I guess I have an SCT tuner paper weight now. I don't really trust any local tuners after hearing all the horror stories.

I tend to agree. "The faster you make it, the faster you break it"...

I've been through this with a slew of Harleys. Each build was progressively milder, and each more reliable over the long haul.

ABest62
01-12-12, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=FLTRI;2827596]I tend to agree. "The faster you make it, the faster you break it"...

Why cant we just leave well enough alone?!! I wasnt gonna do more than CAI, exhaust, maybe upper pulley and tune, but now I'm right back in my cycle. I swear this time 600 whp is the limit,,, then done! :cop: