: 2005 STS loud rattling noise on start up.

kbcobra03
01-03-12, 02:21 AM
On start ups my STS make a very loud rattling noise and continues to make the noise while car is on. It gets louder as you rev it. Its not a deep of a tone to make me think its bottom end related but who know. Any suggestions?? I have been very disapointed in the quality this car, it might be the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. It has so many other little pitty problems, if the resale value wasn't so bad on these cars I would drop it in a heartbeat.

Jesda
01-03-12, 02:53 AM
You'll have to be more specific.

Is it a knocking or a ticking? Does it sound like the engine, a pulley, or an accessory?

BLACKllac
01-03-12, 03:40 AM
my 07 wobbles side to side when parked and engine running... its barely noticeable but has me worried along with the poor gas mileage. i just bought mine last month..

dkozloski
01-03-12, 03:56 AM
On start ups my STS make a very loud rattling noise and continues to make the noise while car is on. It gets louder as you rev it. Its not a deep of a tone to make me think its bottom end related but who know. Any suggestions?? I have been very disapointed in the quality this car, it might be the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. It has so many other little pitty problems, if the resale value wasn't so bad on these cars I would drop it in a heartbeat.
It sounds like a chain tensioner. Don't worry it will probably go away with a great big bang in the near future.

EChas3
01-03-12, 11:21 PM
We are lucky to have members willing to help but posters that don't even offer to state which engine is in their car. C'mon, give us some clues!

BLACKllac
01-03-12, 11:28 PM
We are lucky to have members willing to help but posters that don't even offer to state which engine is in their car. C'mon, give us some clues!

sorry, mines a v6

dkozloski
01-04-12, 05:06 PM
You better get it checked out. V-6s are notorious for failed cam chains that result in serious internal damage in the engine. CEL?

BLACKllac
01-04-12, 09:31 PM
oh $%#@ i hope its not something bad...i just bought it last month. what is CEL?

MacMuse
01-04-12, 10:37 PM
Check Engine Light. The on board computer has a story to tell to a service department computer.

1BadCadSTS
01-04-12, 10:42 PM
99% sure its timing chain failure
common among the V6

glad i bought a N* V8

EChas3
01-04-12, 11:09 PM
A lot of people don't appreciate the value in a relationship with a good dealer (no I'm not in the car business!) While I'm convinced our Cadillacs are a good value, I also enjoy my extended warranty and the peace of mind that it brings. But I know it won't last forever.

Service costs are part of owning cars; even more so when a car has so many advanced features. When I start paying for $100-200 diagnostic visits, I know it comes with the territory. If Cadillacs were more reliable, they would cost more. The market works. As it is, my dealer is far cheaper than most of the others (Infinity, Lexus, Audi, BMW & Mercedes).

I sure hope the orignal poster doesn't have a cam chain issue. If they do, they are far better off with their car in a Cadillac service department than anywhere else. Even if the warranty has expired, a pleasent persuasive approach with the right people can produce results far more positive than they could be.

It's true, there's a fee. But business is business. If you have an issue, isn't solving the issue more important than a few bucks?

BLACKllac
01-05-12, 12:31 AM
aah i see... no i dont have a check engine light. like i said the wobbling is barely noticeable... not sure what to make of it. should i take it to a caddy dealership to get it looked at?>

Pjazz
01-05-12, 01:12 AM
You've got a 7 year old car with I'm guess over 100k miles. You should expect to pay for above average maintenance. Unless you made sure the previous owner maintained the car regularly.

Jesda
01-05-12, 05:24 PM
On some cars, wobble at idle is caused by injectors or misfires. On others, timing.

Stop driving it and have it looked at RIGHT NOW.

BLACKllac
01-05-12, 08:48 PM
On some cars, wobble at idle is caused by injectors or misfires. On others, timing.

Stop driving it and have it looked at RIGHT NOW.

thanks i will. its gonna be sitting in the garage for the winter. ill take it to get looked at as soon as spring rolls around. do you recommend having a caddy dealership look at it? or will any other shop do?