: Oil leak, should I be concearned?

calherc1
01-02-12, 10:10 PM
I've recently noticed when I park my V for a week or so, it leaves what appears to be a drop or two of oil on the ground under the engine. Should I be worried over such a small amount? Car has about 15K mi.

GM-4-LIFE
01-02-12, 10:18 PM
What year is your car?

Nutz
01-02-12, 10:57 PM
Na, it's just oil, but keep your eye out for water and anti-freeze, the important stuff...

----------

Alright, I'll be nice.

Your ready for your 3rd oil change Chief, have it looked at when that gets done. I'd be concearned.

M5eater
01-03-12, 07:41 AM
Worried? No. Would I accept any oil-loss whatsoever with a car under warranty *and* with so few miles? No. More so since porous blocks have lead to leaky RMS's with GM aluminum V8 blocks recently, and that's definitally something you want done for free.

smackdownCTSV
01-03-12, 11:05 AM
Clarification of the term "concearned"

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-03-12, 01:41 PM
calherc1,

If you are still concerned about your vehicle leaking oil I would like to suggest taking your CTS-V into your local dealer. You are still under warranty according to your year and mileage on your vehicle. Let us know what you find out, thank you!

Evan, Cadillac Customer Service

RapidRob
01-03-12, 05:40 PM
When my v2 was new, I noticed the car was using oil at a pretty good rate, but no puddles on the floor ... ?? Got her up on a lift and saw there was oil all over the underside of the motor. The dealer put some dye in the oil, and told me to come back in a couple of weeks. Using that method they found that the leak was caused by a leaky/defective oil-pan gasket. They dropped the pan and replaced the gasket under warranty. No more problems since - 20k miles later.

Rob

M5eater
01-03-12, 05:40 PM
When my v2 was new, I noticed the car was using oil at a pretty good rate, but no puddles on the floor ... ?? Got her up on a lift and saw there was oil all over the underside of the motor. The dealer put some die in the oil, and told me to come back in a couple of weeks. Using that method they found that the leak was caused by a leaky/defective oil-pan gasket. They dropped the pan and replaced the gasket under warranty. No more problems since - 20k miles later.

Rob

another possibility for sure-- the L76 in the G8 had a leaky pan too.

thebigjimsho
01-03-12, 06:52 PM
i would be watching my oil level like a hawk...

garfin
01-03-12, 07:15 PM
Worried? No. Would I accept any oil-loss whatsoever with a car under warranty *and* with so few miles? No. More so since porous blocks have lead to leaky RMS's with GM aluminum V8 blocks recently, and that's definitally something you want done for free.

+1.
Get 'er looked at while it's still under warranty. Not a huge concern, but definitely unacceptable given the mileage and age of the car... and as Jim says, watch the oil level diligently (like a hawk!)

Best regards,

Elie

baabootoo
01-05-12, 12:03 AM
Yeah, maybe it's just a loose/dirty filter mount.

calherc1
01-11-12, 04:11 PM
Brought it to the dealer the other day. Turns out the oil pan drain plug was leaking. They replaced the plug and all is well..........so far.

tedcmiller
01-12-12, 12:06 PM
I have a 2009 CTS-V with about 8K miles. I have experienced no oil leaks of any kind. Since your car is still under warranty, have the dealer fix it. Yes, you should be concerned.