: Replacing my 1996 Suburban

Brax
01-02-12, 01:01 AM
It's time to replace my 1996 Suburban with something newer. The truck is in great shape for it's age and only has 130k miles on it. Brand new is out of the question, So I am down to a 2011 Chevy Suburban LTZ (37k mi, $42k, 12 month bumper to bumper) and a 2008 Escalade ESV (43k mi, $44k, 6 month bumper to bumper). The LTZ comes fully loaded with not much less than the ESV. It seems the big difference is the engines, transmissions and AWD vs 4x4. I do like the looks of the ESV much better. Are there any other differences between these two such as suspension components? Man this is a hard choice. I guess it's a question of value and reliability. I keep my trucks a long time but don't put that many miles on them, 5-7k per year.

hcvone
01-03-12, 06:54 AM
It's time to replace my 1996 Suburban with something newer. The truck is in great shape for it's age and only has 130k miles on it. Brand new is out of the question, So I am down to a 2011 Chevy Suburban LTZ (37k mi, $42k, 12 month bumper to bumper) and a 2008 Escalade ESV (43k mi, $44k, 6 month bumper to bumper). The LTZ comes fully loaded with not much less than the ESV. It seems the big difference is the engines, transmissions and AWD vs 4x4. I do like the looks of the ESV much better. Are there any other differences between these two such as suspension components? Man this is a hard choice. I guess it's a question of value and reliability. I keep my trucks a long time but don't put that many miles on them, 5-7k per year.

I had 6 Suburban's (89, 92, 93, 94, 95 & 96) I think they were the years before I switched to Escalade's in the standard length, really the same trucks as you know, to me is was about the engine, pretty sure the transmissions are the same or close, also like the standard HID lights, not sure if that is an option yet on the ltz's but I don't think so. As you know the 4 wheel drive in not an option on the Escalade's it's all wheel drive, which works great in the snow, of course on this board we are going to tell you to buy the Caddy. ;)

corvette00
01-03-12, 08:03 AM
Since you keep your vehicles for a long time I would spend a little more and go with a newer Lade. Also, I can't recall if its 09 or 10 when mag. ride control is standard, but it is worth it. I would think you could find a low mile 09 ESV for not much more money and possibly a 10 for around $52k

96Fleetwood
01-03-12, 11:26 AM
Did you think about a Denali? They are between the Tahoe and Escalade in price... with a few nice interior touches over the Tahoe.

Mike06train
01-03-12, 01:31 PM
Both are great trucks. The 6.2 really is a monster of a motor. Since you keep them as long as you do I'd go with the 2011 burban. However, there are alot of options you get with the esky that are nice like cooled seats and the ride is smoother. The NAV screen is larger also. Take the motor, 6 speed trans and softer suspension out of the picture and most of the changes are just cheese cake.

Brax
01-04-12, 07:59 AM
The reason I started looking at the Escalades is that both the wife and I drive 04 Sevilles. This car has the perfect balance of size, comfort, performance and looks. This is what I want in my truck. I have test driven a few Escalades and I like ride and performance. I think I need to test drive the LTZ to see how much, if any difference there is in the ride. If it doesnít match the Escalade, the choice will be easy. If the ride is the same, the LTZ has all the toys including the cooled seats, sunroof, second row buckets, back up cam and nav. The thing that makes me hesitant on it is the cylinder deactivation on this engine. Not sure this wonít turn into a big mechanical issue once the truck gets to 100k miles and if it does, it could get expensive.

Corvette00, you mentioned magnetic ride control. I was kind of shying away from this since it very expensive to replace. How much difference do you think this makes in the ride of the truck?

96Fleetwood, I did look at Denaliís but around here, there arenít that many on the used market and theyíre priced pretty high. For the thousand of two more, Iíd rather have the Escalade just on looks alone.

hcvone
01-04-12, 08:56 AM
The reason I started looking at the Escalades is that both the wife and I drive 04 Sevilles. This car has the perfect balance of size, comfort, performance and looks. This is what I want in my truck. I have test driven a few Escalades and I like ride and performance. I think I need to test drive the LTZ to see how much, if any difference there is in the ride. If it doesnít match the Escalade, the choice will be easy. If the ride is the same, the LTZ has all the toys including the cooled seats, sunroof, second row buckets, back up cam and nav. The thing that makes me hesitant on it is the cylinder deactivation on this engine. Not sure this wonít turn into a big mechanical issue once the truck gets to 100k miles and if it does, it could get expensive.

Corvette00, you mentioned magnetic ride control. I was kind of shying away from this since it very expensive to replace. How much difference do you think this makes in the ride of the truck?

96Fleetwood, I did look at Denaliís but around here, there arenít that many on the used market and theyíre priced pretty high. For the thousand of two more, Iíd rather have the Escalade just on looks alone.

Magnetic ride is night and day difference compared to not having it, not as important with 18" wheels as with the 22's. The AFM (active fuel management) with tuning is a great thing, it has allowed my trucks to get in the 25 mpg range on the highway, a HUGE improvement compared to without it. Like with any high priced item repairs will be more expensive.

MrHolland
01-04-12, 07:14 PM
If one began to have problems with the AFM system could they theoretically use a tuner to deactivate it rather than fixing it?? Sorry to hijack the thread, it was just a fleeting thought I had.

hcvone
01-05-12, 08:28 AM
If one began to have problems with the AFM system could they theoretically use a tuner to deactivate it rather than fixing it?? Sorry to hijack the thread, it was just a fleeting thought I had.

You are 100% correct, it can be turned off with a Tech II tool or equal

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-05-12, 10:25 AM
Brax,

Both of these are great vehicles! One benefit to the Suburban you are looking at is that you would have more time and mileage before your Powertrain warranty was up. The Cadillac comes with a larger engine at 6.2L V8 with 403 hp and the Suburban comes with a 5.3L V8 with 320 hp.
Have you test driven both of these vehicles? Which one do you feel more comfortable in? Let us know what you end up purchasing, if you have and further questions feel free to ask!

Thank you,
Evan, Cadillac Customer Service

Brax
01-05-12, 08:20 PM
I test drove the Suburban the other day. Between the ride and throttle performance the Escalade was the hands down winner. I’m going Saturday to buy a 2007 fully loaded Escalade that only has 31k miles on it. I passed on it weeks ago because of price but they just dropped it by $2k. The negatives on this vehicle (for me anyway) is that it has the cashmere interior, power running boards and is out of warranty. But for the price and mileage, I can’t turn this deal down. The next on my list was was the 2008 with 43k miles but was $8k more. Besides the window molding peal and the bubbling of the chrome pieces, is there anything else I should take a closer look at? When I test drove this truck a few weeks ago, it did not have any wind noise so at least that is not an issue.
The first order of business will be to get a custom set of floor mats to protect that light colored carpeting. I have Husky mats in my suburban and don’t really care for them. They are too stiff. Are Weathertech mats stiff like the Husky’s? Or is my best choice the Cadillac all weather mats?

Brax
01-06-12, 09:49 AM
The 22" find do look good, but how much better is the ride with the 18s

hcvone
01-06-12, 10:46 AM
The 22" find do look good, but how much better is the ride with the 18s

Good luck with your new purchase. WAY better with 18's, I used to put 18's on all my Escalade's in the winter with off road tires (I am in upstate NY in the winter) and looked forward to the better ride with the 18's, they sure don't look as good, but the ride is worth it, now I use 20's in the winter to fit over the big brakes because you can get good traction tires in the 20" size these days

Brax
01-08-12, 05:04 PM
Well I bought the '07 Escalade. I also purchased the 3 year 24k mile GM extended warranty for peace of mind. I got the dealer to throw in a new grill and tail gate badges because these were faded and a full set of all weather Escalade floor mats.

A bad start with the truck. The driver and passenger windows must have been tinted aftermarket. Riding in the truck last night, the wife rolled down the window and when she put it up there was a tear in the tinting. This will need to go to a tint shop and be replace. I also noticed a few very small imperfections on the driver window.

The ride is pretty good (for a truck) but I may pick up a set of used 18 or 20 inch tires and rims to see how much better it rides.

BI2011ESV
01-11-12, 08:46 AM
Take a ride in the Escalade, it rides better than the Suburban by a long shot.

Brax
01-11-12, 06:51 PM
I received my full set of Escalade all weather floor mats (dealer had to order them). The front and second row are fine but the third row is a joke. It's about 6" wide and runs the length of the floor side to side. I'd like to get something like the Weathertech Digi mat for back there but the site says it's only for bucket seats, I have the bench. I like the fact that they extend under the 2nd row seats because when someone climbs back there, they step on the carpet that is under the second row. I think these type of mats would keep that area clean. Has anyone tried these floor mats with bench seats? I don't mind doing a little trimming to make them fit.
http://www.weathertech.com/cadillac/2007/escalade-esv/floorliner-digitalfit/2nd-row-seating-type/bucket-seating/

hcvone
01-11-12, 07:03 PM
I received my full set of Escalade all weather floor mats (dealer had to order them). The front and second row are fine but the third row is a joke. It's about 6" wide and runs the length of the floor side to side. I'd like to get something like the Weathertech Digi mat for back there but the site says it's only for bucket seats, I have the bench. I like the fact that they extend under the 2nd row seats because when someone climbs back there, they step on the carpet that is under the second row. I think these type of mats would keep that area clean. Has anyone tried these floor mats with bench seats? I don't mind doing a little trimming to make them fit.
http://www.weathertech.com/cadillac/2007/escalade-esv/floorliner-digitalfit/2nd-row-seating-type/bucket-seating/

Everyone has their own liks and dislikes but this is what I use and have used in all my Escalade and Suburban's, I like their Cargo Liner
http://www.weathertech.com/cadillac/2007/escalade-esv/cargo-liner/

I use Huskey liners for the snow
http://www.huskyliners.com/site//Custom%20Molded%20Floor%20Liners?dt=&d=2&ct=29&answer=77&previous=5

And their HD mats for the winter but not snowing, the reason I use the liners is because we get feet of snow, with the liners I can pick them up in the truck and dump the water without spilling it all over and making a mess

And these for the nice weather
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff389/hcvone/DSC_0060-1.jpg

Brax
01-12-12, 07:07 AM
Hcvone,

Those mats look great, I was just looking for something that would handle snow and dirt better. I'm going to stop at a shop that carries the Weathertech mats and take a look at them first hand, I do like the digi fit mats because of their great fit.

hcvone
01-12-12, 07:21 AM
Hcvone,

Those mats look great, I was just looking for something that would handle snow and dirt better. I'm going to stop at a shop that carries the Weathertech mats and take a look at them first hand, I do like the digi fit mats because of their great fit.

They may sell Huskey, if they do look at them too. :)

48548m
01-12-12, 09:17 AM
I have a set of factory 18's with 1800 miles on them. nobody wants to give me anything for them. I bought the factory 22's as take offs for 1200 with 8000 miles on them.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

hcvone
01-12-12, 09:22 AM
I have a set of factory 18's with 1800 miles on them. nobody wants to give me anything for them. I bought the factory 22's as take offs for 1200 with 8000 miles on them.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Where are you located?