: Back on the road!!!

FASSTWOOD
11-08-04, 08:02 PM
After having a few curve balls thrown at me, and not being able to make time, I finally got my new motor in. I finished it this morning. I would of finish yesterday but during the final assembly of my new motor I discovered that the pushrods were hitting the heads. This was cuased by the new geometry of the 1.6 roller rockers so i had to take the heads back off to make the push rod holes a little bigger. She's runnig good I would of played with it a little more this afternoon but i had to come to work. It feels good to be back in my car and not grubbing rides from everyone!!!

http://www.edsautos.com/images/imgp0045.jpg

http://www.edsautos.com/images/imgp0046.jpg

http://www.edsautos.com/images/imgp0049.jpg

scurling
11-09-04, 01:22 AM
Look'n good!!!

Hey what brand and type of wires are you using?

And while we are on the subject of the engine, can someone please explain the purpose of the stock engine top plate, e.g. home plate? I had it off this weekend when I flushed the cooling system. What on earth is the function of the plate and design? What a dumb piece of plastic!

FASSTWOOD
11-09-04, 01:44 AM
The wires are MSD's. I dont really know the reason for home base. I believe its to keep the intake quiet along with first base.

barge master
11-09-04, 05:57 AM
Awwwwrighty Fasstwood!! Best of luck with her. :2thumbs:

RBraczyk
11-09-04, 07:29 AM
Any power differences?

scurling
11-09-04, 12:04 PM
Fasstwood:

Just wondering, I forget your explanation of how you came by the replacement engine, but is the cam/rocker setup a custom design? I wouldn't think you would run into those type of interferences with standard LT1/LT4 rocker arm ratios.

Wish I had the time and money to tweak my LT1.

FASSTWOOD
11-09-04, 04:03 PM
Yes, the cam and rockers are a custom design. The original ratio was 1.5 my new ratio is 1.6 these are my cam specs, TN-218XE 218/224 duration, .526"/.536", 114lsa w 1.6 rockers...

Adam
11-09-04, 06:36 PM
hey congratulations man. glad you got it back in. :)

RBraczyk
11-09-04, 07:52 PM
Power difference???

BeelzeBob
11-09-04, 07:53 PM
Great news! Glad to hear she's back up and running!

scurling
11-10-04, 01:21 AM
Fasstwood:
Wow, that's one hot setup on the top end. You'll have to keep us informed on the driveability, and durability. When you have the time to write it all up, give us some info. on who did the head work, other mods on the engine, and how it was all tuned/programmed to make it driveable.

Yee-Ha!!

FASSTWOOD
11-10-04, 03:23 AM
The engine I used only had 63,000 mile, but there was some carbon build up at the top of the pistons, so I just sent the heads to a local machine shop to get cleaned up. The machine shop blasted them, boiled them out checked the valve guides for wear and installed my new valve springs and valve stem seals. They also gave the valves a three angle cut. While the heads were out I looked over the block and decided to get it done as well. That turned out to be a good thing because the oil rings were stuck to the pistons and there was evidence of water damage on the main bearings. I would of had a smoker that wasn't going to like rpm's.

As usual whenever I decide to play with something it snowballs on me. I wound up spending a lot more than what I expected, but the end result so far is awesome. from being a simple freshening up of the motor along with a slighty bigger cam this is what I wound up with.

THE LIST
Rebuild heads
New cam comp cam cc502 w/114lsa
combination motorsports valve springs
CM valve stem seals
CM push rods
Comp 1.6 roller rockers
GM extreme duty timing set
MSD ingition wires
FEL-PRO gasket set
Melling high volume oil pump
Melling steel oil pump shaft
Melling oil pump screen
New motor mounts
Engine block rebuild
Custom cut crankshaft
sealed power aluminized main bearings 10 over
sealed power aluminized rod beaings 10 over
Intake manifold and accessory bracket sent out to cleaned up also
PCMFORLESS pcm reprogram...

And I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff too...

scurling
11-10-04, 02:36 PM
Fasstwood:

THanks for the list. I know what you mean about the snowball effect.
Did the local machine shop do any work on the combustions chanbers, ports, etc. while the heads were getting their facelift?

Gee, that second engine sure came in handy. I plan on keeping my Ftwd. for as long as possible, so maybe I'll keep my eye out for an engine sale.

FASSTWOOD
11-10-04, 07:53 PM
No I left the heads alone, I had no more funs to alocate for this project, besides sometimes these machine shops can do more harm than good...

Insomniac
11-13-04, 07:27 PM
how much faster is it now with the new engine compared to the old engine?

RBraczyk
11-14-04, 01:52 AM
^thats what I want to know.

FASSTWOOD
11-14-04, 05:26 PM
I'm still breaking it in, so I haven't been able to get on it. On the highway on the way to work I've been getting a little antsie, so I get on it a little a she feel real good. I intake and the exhaust have a deeper tone to them now.

It definately feels stonger though... I gotta find someone with a dyno I know of one, but its at a mustang place. I'm thinking it would be funny to see my fleetwood there next to a bunch of 5.0's...

barge master
11-14-04, 08:51 PM
I'd rather drive a POS Fleetwood than a mint Mustang.