: First Oil Change

Ste_V_e
01-01-12, 07:13 PM
I'm going in for my 1st oil change tomorrow and had a few questions. I was wondering exactly how many quarts I should tell them to fill the car and exactly which grade of mobil 1 should be used for a 2011 CTS-V Coupe? Anybody know b/c I've had bad experiences with previous cars being slightly overfilled and what not. I plan on telling them to check the diff and trans fluids also.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated. Thank you.
-Steve

smackdownCTSV
01-01-12, 07:37 PM
Uh, 6 qts 5W-30

Ste_V_e
01-01-12, 07:45 PM
So just 6 qts exactly of mobil 1 5w-30 for the engine? What should I look to pay?

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-01-12, 08:12 PM
Steve, You should be headed to a Cadillac dealer for your maintenance..... if not; why not? They know the car and will most likely NOT make mistakes with any servicing of your pride and joy. You're a Cadillac owner now you know - we must be careful with the folks who service our CTS-V's. Besides; didn't anyone explain to you the oil/lube service that you are benefited with for just owning the CTS-V?

I always changed my own oil....always did my own maintenance....I knew what was under the hood....well - NO MORE. Not to take you off course but don't let just anyone service your 'V' because you probably know it better than they do. Not so with a dealer - and they will tell you stuff about your car because they know.....

The 'V' comes with synthetic oil.... probably not far from Mobile 1 - and will be what the engineers at Cadillac designed the engine to use.... Stay GM. You bought the car; now maintain....

Just lookin' out for ya man.....

Bill

M5eater
01-01-12, 09:34 PM
2011+ V2's come with synthetic Blend actually(the UOA's look very similar to the Delco stuff at the dealer anyway). The maintenance program also uses Dexos 1 ACdelco synthetic blend, and unless you're supplying your own oil and are paying for the labor-- your first OCI will be when the DIC indicates 20% or less (~10K miles) .

Uh, 6 qts 5W-30
yup.. nothing else need be said.

Ste_V_e
01-01-12, 10:33 PM
I was always planning on going to the dealer to get the work done. I just thought it came with mobil 1 from the factory. I guess that is not the case. Does anyone know exactly what oil is used? I will be getting my oil change early b/c I just got done with the break in period.

I'm also guessing that If I get an early change it will be coming out of my pocket?

Thanks again
-Steve

smackdownCTSV
01-01-12, 11:45 PM
Nothing. 2011s get free oil changes.

Blakester
01-02-12, 12:26 AM
If you have over 22percent oil life left, you pay for oil change.

Ste_V_e
01-02-12, 01:02 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/200r2pk.jpg

Is This normal for those of you who check your engine oil levels often?

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-02-12, 05:26 AM
That's the multi-meniscus problem! As long as the last one down toward the tip is within the upper checkered area - all good. Shooting for the top....

Ste_V_e
01-02-12, 06:17 AM
That's the multi-miniscus problem! As long as the last one down toward the tip is within the upper checkered area - all good. Shooting for the top....

hmm I'm a little confused on what you mean, but the oil reaches just under the 3rd hole from the tip and theres a gap then continues after the blue squiggly lines.

M5eater
01-02-12, 09:59 AM
I was always planning on going to the dealer to get the work done. I just thought it came with mobil 1 from the factory. I guess that is not the case. Does anyone know exactly what oil is used? I will be getting my oil change early b/c I just got done with the break in period.

I'm also guessing that If I get an early change it will be coming out of my pocket?

Thanks again
-Steve

This is what you're getting if you go to Cadillac for your oil changes.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2314385

now, I've 'heard' that they still stock some kind of Mobil 1 for the cars that spec'd 4718M, but it doesn't make sense to me that they would if Dexos 1 superceed's the old specifications. I haven't seen the two different barrels at my dealership, and they only advertise the Delco stuff in the waiting room.

hmm I'm a little confused on what you mean, but the oil reaches just under the 3rd hole from the tip and theres a gap then continues after the blue squiggly lines.
a lot of cars have this problem, call it splashing or dripping from the intract tube, w/e. Measure only up until the solid portion of oil.

Or try leaving the stick in longer (a minuite or two) , make sure the car is dead-cold and take another reading.

GM-4-LIFE
01-02-12, 11:38 AM
My local dealer has tons of boxes of Mobil 1 and still uses it on the Cadillacs that called for Mobil 1 from 2008 to 2010 model years and the owners of those cars have to pay for their oil changes.

On 2011+ CTS-Vs, the factory fill is no longer Mobil 1. It is AC Delco Semi-Synthetic blend Dexos1 oil. You can opt to pay for Mobil 1 at the dealer. You just tell them you want Mobil 1 and they charge you for it. You can always get it at Wal-Mart super cheap and take it in with you and have them provide the labor and the oil filter. It's your car and up to you what goes in it.

I leased my V Coupe, so I just have the dealer put in whatever is free. My dealer changed my oil at 25% DIC reading at 6K miles. Most dealers won't do it until you reach 20% oil life remaining or less.

elphil
01-02-12, 04:24 PM
My '11 is coming up for service at one year, 2,500 miles. I'm also going to have the differential fluid changed as recommended in the sticky thread here. Or maybe I'll just do like hulksdaddy did and order a new one so I won't have to bother getting this one serviced.

Ste_V_e
01-02-12, 05:34 PM
Some very good help here. What are most of you guys who change there oil early putting in? Mobil 1, dexos1, or something else. I've never heard of dexos1 and have previously used mobil 1 in my cars.

My '11 is coming up for service at one year, 2,500 miles. I'm also going to have the differential fluid changed as recommended in the sticky thread here. Or maybe I'll just do like hulksdaddy did and order a new one so I won't have to bother getting this one serviced.

Do you plan on getting a new differential under warranty?

smackdownCTSV
01-02-12, 05:51 PM
Mobil 1 is the brand, dexos is the spec/approval.

elphil
01-02-12, 06:44 PM

Do you plan on getting a new differential under warranty? No. Just change the fluid as a precaution.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/215921-must-read-all-new-cts-v.html

Ste_V_e
01-06-12, 02:32 AM
Well I went in for my oil change and tonight I checked the oil cold after work. The oil level was covering the 3rd hole at the top. Is this a problem? help please. Thanks
-Steve

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zlatjs.jpg

Houdini
01-06-12, 07:19 AM
A little over isn't going to hurt anything. You're fine.

M5eater
01-06-12, 07:21 AM
A little over isn't going to hurt anything. You're fine.

anything more than 1/2 a quart over I would worry about. That's not even 100ml I bet.

Ste_V_e
01-06-12, 02:24 PM
Went to the dealer today to have my diff fluid changed and had them recheck the oil and they gave me the ok so I guess everything is all good now. Thanks