: 2007 Escalade Engine Noise

TinaDB
01-01-12, 05:42 PM
I am hearing engine noise when it is really cold on start up. It sounds like a diesel engine. I have taken it to the dealer numerous times and not receiving any help. They recommended doing a carbon cleanup after 100.00 it didn't work. What should I do?

MrHolland
01-01-12, 07:29 PM
Sounds like the dreaded piston slap GM fails to acknowledge. Good luck and if you get this resolved please post how..

2007XTSDub
01-01-12, 09:51 PM
Tell them to change out the pistons and rods etc. Thats what they did with my old 07 never had a problem after.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

TinaDB
01-01-12, 10:20 PM
Thank you do much. I will update as soon as I find out.

quattrotman
01-02-12, 03:16 AM
GM cust service? Can you be of some assistance?

TinaDB
01-02-12, 05:04 PM
Well it is in the shop for the night. First of all, I took it there and the service guy didn't want to drive it. I explained to him that the noise was happening right now and he said that he needed to do a oil change first. I said the noise has nothing to do with the oil. He revved the engine and I told him that he has to drive it. He said it may be a piston slap and that of it was that it was normal that I would have to deal with the noise. I said no, I don't have to deal with noise that has never been there before. He said it had nothing to do with the engine. I was like seriously. He said it was the engine loosening up for better gas mileage. I was like I am not an idiot. Something is wrong with my vehicle and I would like for it to be evaluated. He said that he would have to get an engineer to come down and look at it. I let him know to get whomever he needed to get it repaired. I told him that I shouldn't have to pay 70-80k for a vehicle and to deal with it. May neighbors asked me since when did I get a diesel. That's how loud the knocking is when I'm driving.

K9Caddy
01-03-12, 07:40 AM
GM likes to turn the blinders on with this issue... It costs them too much money to fix, thats the problem.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-03-12, 12:54 PM
TinaDB,

I'm sorry you are having this problem. Please let us know how everything goes at the dealership and what the engineer says. If the problem still persists once you get your vehicle back I will exhaust my resources to try and find a resolution for you, thank you!

Evan, Cadillac Customer Service

Mike06train
01-03-12, 01:16 PM
My ex-wife has my 07 Denali and I have the 07 Esky. Both have it at start up now. It stops when it's warmed up. It has nothing to do with the motor "loosening up" for better gas milage.
I've read it was light weight skirtless pistons that need to expand to fit properly. I've used this type of piston before for engine builds and never had this problem. But they were blue printed hand built motors only run on fun days not mass produced motors for a daily driver so who knows. It drives me nuts though.

SouthernCaddy
01-03-12, 01:33 PM
I had in on my dodge trucks and on my wifes ESV, at 107,000 miles she still runs strong. I am not worried about it as my drag cars have always had a rattle...that is why we warm up the engines before we run them.

js11560
01-03-12, 09:32 PM
Hi Evan,

I have a 2011 Escalde ESV Platinum. Although I am supposed to recieve free maintenance, I have reservations about the dealership experience. There have been too many times where my vehicle was dented, scratched, or complications from an easy repair. My problem is a sporadic lifter noise at start up. Sometimes the noise will last a few minutes. Most of the time, the car starts and sounds fine. I have changed the oil twice. The first oil change I used the GM Dexos oil. The second time I used the Mobil One that is Dexos rated. I see that GM has a bulletin for 2007-2011 6.2L with a lifter noise. Instead of changing the lifters, can I use an oil additive like Amsoil or Lucas? Once a motor is taken apart, it is never the same. I grew up around cars and I belive there is no substitute for a factory motor. The seals, tolerances, and gaskets last longer when installed by the factory. It is for these reasons that I will not let a dealership mechanic touch my vehicle. Please let me know if you recomend an oil additive and will it void my warranty?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

John S Locust Valley New York

MrHolland
01-03-12, 10:30 PM
I had in on my dodge trucks and on my wifes ESV, at 107,000 miles she still runs strong. I am not worried about it as my drag cars have always had a rattle...that is why we warm up the engines before we run them.
So if your sales person wouldve told you "Dont mind the rattle at start up, even race engines make that noise" you wouldve said "Ill take it!!"???

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-04-12, 01:09 PM
js11560,

This is what your owner's manual says about oil additives on page 10-10:

Engine Oil Additives/Engine Oil Flushes

Do not add anything to the oil. The recommended oils with the dexos specification and displaying the dexos certification mark are all that is needed for good performance and engine protection. Engine oil system flushes are not recommended and could cause engine damage not covered by the
vehicle warranty.

I hope this explains to some degree what you're asking. I do know that your local Cadillac dealership will warranty their work if you did decide to have this issue looked at.

Sincerely,
Evan, Cadillac Customer Service

hcvone
01-04-12, 02:30 PM
I use and sell Amsoil and have for over 15 years in all my cars/trucks, this morning we had a bunch of trucks parked outside because the garages are full of snowmobiles, it was -23 degrees and my truck was the only one that didn't sound like a diesel. I would not use additives in the oil in my trucks, I know Caddy does the service for free, but I think I will keep doing it myself so I know how it's being done. :)

TinaDB
01-04-12, 10:10 PM
Evan,

Still no word from the dealership. My truck has been there for two days. I had to call and find out that they are running tests an not sure what the problem is. They said they are waiting for an Engineer to come and evaluate the problem. They gave me a SRX to drive in the mean time and my family doesn't fit in it. I asked if I could get something comparable to what I have an the guy was so rude that I even asked. My vehicle is the main one to get the family around. I am so annoyed with this situation. Any suggestions without buying a new one?? Lol

48548m
01-04-12, 11:40 PM
Seeing how GM treated me on my 35000 dollar silverado with 23500 on the odo after 6 years, I don't have a problem coming over and bending over so you don't have to get screwed like I am. They still can't fix the sunroof after 6 years, I keep it to get bent over on a regular basis.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-05-12, 09:49 AM
48548m,
Have you talked to a customer service representative or had a case set up for your sunroof issue? If you have would you mind sending it to me so that I can look into it for you.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

quattrotman
01-06-12, 01:49 AM
Wow...So much attention from GM cuts serv. I'm interested to see how this pans out if it's determined that it's piston slap.

TONYGMEISTER
01-06-12, 10:08 AM
I just took my 07 in for the same thing. My engine was replaced with a longblock. It took me about 6 trips before they replaced it. They did change the lifters but that didn't help anything.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-06-12, 11:58 AM
TONYGMEISTER,
I apologize for having to take you vehicle in that many times. I completely understand how frustrating that can be. How is the new engine treating you? Keep us updated.
Breanne

2007XTSDub
01-07-12, 11:28 AM
Evan,

Still no word from the dealership. My truck has been there for two days. I had to call and find out that they are running tests an not sure what the problem is. They said they are waiting for an Engineer to come and evaluate the problem. They gave me a SRX to drive in the mean time and my family doesn't fit in it. I asked if I could get something comparable to what I have an the guy was so rude that I even asked. My vehicle is the main one to get the family around. I am so annoyed with this situation. Any suggestions without buying a new one?? Lol

Any update on your truck yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk

jdubh25
01-07-12, 09:46 PM
I am new to Escalade, but also own a 06 CTS. So i purchased an used 07 Escalade with 66k miles on it a month ago and also notice this engine noise when i first start it, usually in the morning when first driven. Has anybody had this issue figured out and resolved?

TinaDB
01-08-12, 08:20 PM
Any update on your truck yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk

Hi 2007XTSDub,

My truck was in the shop all week. Service rep never called to update me. I had to call him. They haven't touched the truck. I explained to him that I had to leave town the next day and I was trying to get a bigger rental car. He told me that he would call with an update that next day. He didn't call until 5 pm on Thursday and told me that I needed to come pick up my vehicle and bring it back on Tuesday. I got very upset because they had it all week and ha done nothing. I told him that I had told him that I ha to leave town and he acted like he didn't know. It made me more upset. Thy have no clue. He stated that they didn't want to pay for a rental for me for that long. I said fix my truck and you won't have to. No news till Tuesday!!

MrHolland
01-08-12, 08:43 PM
WOW, thats really unfortunate!! In the end, will you name the Dealership so we may choose not to trade with them..

hannity
01-08-12, 09:06 PM
Well it is in the shop for the night. First of all, I took it there and the service guy didn't want to drive it. I explained to him that the noise was happening right now and he said that he needed to do a oil change first. I said the noise has nothing to do with the oil. He revved the engine and I told him that he has to drive it. He said it may be a piston slap and that of it was that it was normal that I would have to deal with the noise. I said no, I don't have to deal with noise that has never been there before. He said it had nothing to do with the engine. I was like seriously. He said it was the engine loosening up for better gas mileage. I was like I am not an idiot. Something is wrong with my vehicle and I would like for it to be evaluated. He said that he would have to get an engineer to come down and look at it. I let him know to get whomever he needed to get it repaired. I told him that I shouldn't have to pay 70-80k for a vehicle and to deal with it. May neighbors asked me since when did I get a diesel. That's how loud the knocking is when I'm driving.

Sorry to hear what happened. Welcome to my world, bought my platinum brand new and at 3,000 miles the noise started. Now i'm at about 12,500 miles and it sounds like a f-350 super duty.gm is a complete failure for still making this prehistoric p.o.s. and they call it normal when we take it in to have it serviced and to find out what the noise is. I am surprised the gm loyalists have not come in here to berate you. Please let me know if they give you an update or what kind of fix they offer to you.

grisik
01-08-12, 09:13 PM
Is that how it starts, sounds like a diesel at start up? Mine has started doing it in the past few weeks. Goes away quickly. Does it get worse as the truck is driven more?

TinaDB
01-09-12, 12:22 PM
Is that how it starts, sounds like a diesel at start up? Mine has started doing it in the past few weeks. Goes away quickly. Does it get worse as the truck is driven more?

When I got my truck about 2 yrs ago, I never had this issue. But in the past 6 mths that's how it starts up. Sometimes once it's warmed up the sound goes away. It's very loud and annoying. No answers from Nimnicht yet. This is not a normal sound. If it was it would have done it when I first got it.

48Dodge
01-09-12, 01:11 PM
Ever since the temp dropped I've gotten this sound. I always had it on my '02 Tahoe, but it always stopped by the time I got to the end of my street. On cold mornings, it sometimes takes several miles for my ESV to stop. The ESV is much louder too, sounds exactly like a cold diesel, the Tahoe sounded more like a loud valve tappets.

hcvone
01-09-12, 01:21 PM
Ever since the temp dropped I've gotten this sound. I always had it on my '02 Tahoe, but it always stopped by the time I got to the end of my street. On cold mornings, it sometimes takes several miles for my ESV to stop. The ESV is much louder too, sounds exactly like a cold diesel, the Tahoe sounded more like a loud valve tappets.

48, what oil and oil weight are you using? The 07' I picked up makes no noise no matter how cold it is, I use Amsoil Sig 0-30 in everything I own, I know my 03' Escalade made a lot of noise in the cold but have not had that issue personally, but have heard several making a lot of noise

48Dodge
01-09-12, 01:57 PM
Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic 5w30. The temp was pretty mild this morning (about 60) and there wasn't much noise to speak of. Only one oil change since I've owned it. I do my own oil changes

hannity
01-09-12, 02:16 PM
Unfortunately it does.

hannity
01-09-12, 06:37 PM
TONYGMEISTER,
I apologize for having to take you vehicle in that many times. I completely understand how frustrating that can be. How is the new engine treating you? Keep us updated.
Breanne
Are you really a customer rep? Is there something you can do for me with my vehicle? I am in Texas. Let me know if I can pm you with info please

TinaDB
01-10-12, 10:18 PM
Well got my Escallade back today. Still sounds the same because they did absolutely nothing. They said they would order parts to place some oversized pistons in there but they said it probably won't change the noise because it's "Normal". They said I need to change out the whole AC unit. WTH?? Really. That's not under warranty now. They are all over the place. From AC to oil to pistons to doing nothing and just doing a small extension to the warranty. What?? How about you figure out the real reason and stop bullying me around. I am so fed up with Niminicht Cadillac of jacksonville. I want to take it somewhere else. I just want it repaired. :(.

Josuave
01-11-12, 01:08 AM
My home dealership would not acknowledge a problem. I complained about it 4 times on my '07 EXT, they kept it overnight once, said it was normal, they put it beside another truck same noise etc. I took it to another dealership, same day their tech said it sounded like a piston. 10 days later got it back with short block overhaul. Good as new! I forced this issue at 97000 miles, right before warranty expired.
Stay on them and good luck!

mambro
01-13-12, 12:35 PM
Folks, I am in the exact same boat. My 07 ESV sounds like a diesel (plus trans lurch and/or lag at times) I am still within the powertrain warranty. Not to hijack the thread, but need some help with selecting a "known to be great" North Dallas area Cadillac dealer to help minimize what I anticipate to be an unpleasant "that sound is just normal" experience. (I have no history with ANY of these Cadillac dealers)

Crest Cadillac in Plano, TX is the closest to me (~ 20 miles)
Sewell Cadillac @ GRAPEVINE is 2nd (~ 33 miles)
Massey Cadillac @ Garland (~ 35 miles)
Sewell Cadillac @ DALLAS (~ 36 miles)

Any help would be appreciated... and if this should be in it's own thread please let me know. :)

bigtone1013
01-13-12, 07:47 PM
I got a 07 in October and I live in Chicago the weather has been unusually mild but today was really cold and I'm happy to have not heard any noise. Keeping my fingers crossed.

quattrotman
01-14-12, 01:43 AM
Folks, I am in the exact same boat. My 07 ESV sounds like a diesel (plus trans lurch and/or lag at times) I am still within the powertrain warranty. Not to hijack the thread, but need some help with selecting a "known to be great" North Dallas area Cadillac dealer to help minimize what I anticipate to be an unpleasant "that sound is just normal" experience. (I have no history with ANY of these Cadillac dealers)

Any help would be appreciated... and if this should be in it's own thread please let me know. :)

Can't help you with a dealer as i live nowhere near there but take it in and see what they say. If you don't like what they tell you, move on to the next. You may be surprised. I was almost certain I had piston slap (I've had it with an f-150 I owned before)...I went in and talked to the dealer with only a month left on warranty. They took a look and I actually had an exhaust manifold leak (covered by warranty). It made a noise very similar to piston slap...sounded like a diesel. Long story short, I thought I'd get the run around too but went in and got it fixed no questions asked. They also fixed a motor mount on warranty.

hannity
01-14-12, 01:57 PM
TONYGMEISTER,
Breanne

Your pm box is still full. lots of complaints I guess, when you free up some space let me know please.

mambro
02-01-12, 01:33 PM

My '07 is at Crest Cadillac right now waiting to be picked up. They fixed the leaky oil pan gasket and the broken motor mount, but as for the "sounds like a diesel" line item (and I used those words), the service adviser told me yes, they started it up in the morning and (he used these words) it has "piston slap" and that there is a bulletin that talks about this being a normal condition, so no work to be done. (He was nice enough to fax me the bulletin: 01-06-01-028B: Engine Knock on Cold Start - Oct 3, 2011 -- Document ID: 2715152). While I appreciate the bulletin, it's not really a direct match to me. It goes on to describe how the sound, which some vehicles may exhibit, typically disappears within the first 5-30 seconds and may be caused by an interaction of carbon formed on the piston, etc.

As the original poster (TinaDB) of this thread noted, she has been down the $100 "carbon cleanup" route without fixing anything. If it was just a carbon forming issue, as the bulletin describes, wouldn't that have fixed it?

I let the service adviser know that I didn't think it was a match as mine sounds like a diesel for well past 5-30 seconds, and that if this sound was "normal" then I'm very concerned about the 2011 Escalade loaner of his in my driveway... because it's quiet, which must be abnormal. :) He chuckled and said he'd talk to his manager to see if there was anything else he could do and call me back. So, we'll see...

hcvone
02-01-12, 02:09 PM
Well got my Escallade back today. Still sounds the same because they did absolutely nothing. They said they would order parts to place some oversized pistons in there but they said it probably won't change the noise because it's "Normal". They said I need to change out the whole AC unit. WTH?? Really. That's not under warranty now. They are all over the place. From AC to oil to pistons to doing nothing and just doing a small extension to the warranty. What?? How about you figure out the real reason and stop bullying me around. I am so fed up with Niminicht Cadillac of jacksonville. I want to take it somewhere else. I just want it repaired. :(.

Some dealerships are better to deal with than others, if possible try another, you maybe surprised. :)

mambro
03-02-12, 12:50 PM
My '07 is at Crest Cadillac right now waiting to be picked up. They fixed the leaky oil pan gasket and the broken motor mount, but as for the "sounds like a diesel" line item (and I used those words), the service adviser told me yes, they started it up in the morning and (he used these words) it has "piston slap" and that there is a bulletin that talks about this being a normal condition, so no work to be done. (He was nice enough to fax me the bulletin: 01-06-01-028B: Engine Knock on Cold Start - Oct 3, 2011 -- Document ID: 2715152). While I appreciate the bulletin, it's not really a direct match to me. It goes on to describe how the sound, which some vehicles may exhibit, typically disappears within the first 5-30 seconds and may be caused by an interaction of carbon formed on the piston, etc.

As the original poster (TinaDB) of this thread noted, she has been down the $100 "carbon cleanup" route without fixing anything. If it was just a carbon forming issue, as the bulletin describes, wouldn't that have fixed it?

I let the service adviser know that I didn't think it was a match as mine sounds like a diesel for well past 5-30 seconds, and that if this sound was "normal" then I'm very concerned about the 2011 Escalade loaner of his in my driveway... because it's quiet, which must be abnormal. :) He chuckled and said he'd talk to his manager to see if there was anything else he could do and call me back. So, we'll see...

Friends, I'm here to share great news... after talking with the NATIONAL GM Service Rep *and* presenting the local service director with an iPhone stereo "voice memo" recording taken sitting on top of the left front tire, with the microphones pointed towards the engine... he was VERY APOLOGETIC and VERY WILLING to listen to the truck "cold" the next morning himself (along with his shop foreman). The end result is I now have a replacement engine and it's night and day difference. I also had another iPhone recording with the phone under the drivers windshield wiper to demonstrate what it sounded like driving around my subdivision. (It gets a bit of wind noise as the speed picks up, so if I was going to do it again, using that open area where a 2nd battery would go might do the task with less wind noise perhaps.)

TinaDB... you might give the recording method a try if anybody is telling you they don't hear anything wrong... and as hvcone (and others) mentioned... trying another dealer may be a good path to get you taken care of.

A big thanks to Crest Cadillac and the National GM Service folks for their customer service! :thumbsup:

PeteKT
03-02-12, 01:50 PM
i got this nioise now too, started about a month ago, guess ill have to make an appoitment with my Dealership

pmexpert
03-02-12, 02:33 PM
My greetings to Mambro! U finally got the result! Gongrats man! Crossing my fingers that I will have positive result as well so far...:)

Litho
03-04-12, 08:04 AM
Can you email the sound clip of your piston slap start up to compare against mine- michaelp@printnowforless.com. Thanks Mike

mambro
03-08-12, 01:40 PM
Can you email the sound clip of your piston slap start up to compare against mine- michaelp@printnowforless.com. Thanks Mike
Before and after sound clips sent. Be sure to let us know how your dealership visit works out. :)