: Valve Cover Gasket Change $545.00 isn't that too much for 2006 STS (V-8)

cruzajc1
12-31-11, 09:52 PM
Just wanted to know if y'all thought $545.00 was too much for replacing Valve Cover Gasket for my 2006 Cadillac STS (V-8) Northstar?

dkozloski
01-01-12, 01:15 AM
With the cam adjusters and such to deal with it doesn't sound that bad.

Jesda
01-01-12, 12:39 PM
Dealer? Sounds fair to me.

Greg00coupe
01-01-12, 04:54 PM
Go to NAPA ask them to recommend a good independent mechanic. Take it to them to compare.

EChas3
01-01-12, 07:24 PM
Go to NAPA ask them to recommend a good independent mechanic. Take it to them to compare.

More independants claim to know Cadillacs than actually do.

malatu
01-01-12, 08:39 PM
Most independent I've dealt with just want to perform as many brake jobs and other basic services they can. Can you blame them? I've dealt with some other independents that advertize services above and beyond.....turned out to be nothing but disappointment. I'm not suggesting there aren't great independents out there.... I just haven't found them.

M5eater
01-01-12, 10:15 PM
Dealer? Sounds fair to me.

+1.. It's a multi-hour job, and I'm sure the acutal OEM gaskets costs $50 or so. In this case, I'm sure a Dealer is going to do just as good a job as an Indy will if you go to a dealer with any kind of northstar experience.

ddalder
01-01-12, 10:30 PM
GM's labour time to do both sides is only 3.2 hours, + .1 - .3 for cleaning of parts on cars > 30,000 miles. Depending on the cost of parts, it sounds a little steep. Of course a competent technician can do it less time (it's quite straight forward), but they'll never charge you less than the book time anyway. One of my big pet peeves about the auto repair industry.

CTBB
01-02-12, 12:11 AM
GM's labour time to do both sides is only 3.2 hours, + .1 - .3 for cleaning of parts on cars > 30,000 miles. Depending on the cost of parts, it sounds a little steep. Of course a competent technician can do it less time (it's quite straight forward), but they'll never charge you less than the book time anyway. One of my big pet peeves about the auto repair industry.

+1234 Definitely a scam on the consumer.

Glenn

Greg00coupe
01-02-12, 08:11 AM
That's why I suggest going to NAPA. They supply quality parts to all the independents and know who is honest and fair. My independent mechanic is an ex tech from the local Cadi dealer. He is honest and fair priced. You want to believe that only Cadillac can fix a Cadillac knock yourself out. Same commentators believe you got to have a warranty and these cars are very unique to fix. It's all in your attitude and your willingness to do a little research.

Jesda
01-02-12, 07:00 PM
I'm also a fan of Napa. Wish we had some of their stores here.

ddalder
01-02-12, 07:44 PM
It depends on the job. The task in question here is a good example (along with many other "general" repairs) that I might use an independent shop for. There are many other repairs I wouldn't even consider asking a non-dealer about. Most independants are simply not equipped, or have the technical resources at hand to tackle some problems.

cruzajc1
01-03-12, 02:17 PM
Thanks so far for the information, what adjustment has to be done to the cam by changing the valve cover gasket?

TimmyC
01-03-12, 08:36 PM
Thanks so far for the information, what adjustment has to be done to the cam by changing the valve cover gasket?

None. I can get the left side valve cover off my car in 15 minutes, no joke. I did it last week to change the baffling inside. There is no need to touch any of the cam hardware. The right side is tighter so it would probably take me longer, but nowhere near $545 worth.

ddalder
01-03-12, 09:21 PM
Agreed. The cam steppers change the shape at the end of the head a little but they mount directly to the head. The cover is also shaped accordingly but has no other involvement with the workings. Most of the work, as mentioned, is with access. As with most book times, 3.2 hours is generous.

toddkellogg
02-18-14, 07:45 PM
Does changing the Valve Cover Gasket on the Passenger Side of 4.6l V8 require lifting the motor. I've replaced twice. Still leaks....dammit! Put sealant on the second time (against the gasket manuf. instructions). Its holding on the other side (I think).

Took it to my local chevy dealer(yes, chevy, they are really good) and they said the Northstar valve covers are Notorious for Warping!!! Imgine my horror after hearing this. NO GASKET OR GLUE WILL COMPENSATE FOR A BENT VALVE COVER! Dammit again, the time and energy I put into replacing that gasket and I hear that!

Had to loosen one bolt from UNDER THE CAR.

Anyone else having this/these issues? OIL SMELL IS ANNOYING W/ AC ON AND WINDOWS UP.

HelpMySTS
10-04-14, 06:49 PM
I am wanting to k ow the same thing. How do I reach the valve cover bolts on the passenger side? Something is blocking the way. My guess is that it's a wire harness shield of some kind but how do I get around it?