: Just Purchased '09 CTS-V - Initial Impressions and Observations

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
12-31-11, 10:31 AM
I purchased an '09 White Diamond Tricoat CTS-V with 39K miles on it a few days ago from CarMax in Sterling, Virginia, and live in Maryland. I sold an '05 Audi S4, which was my daily driver, and intend for the CTS-V to be the same (obviously the daily drive is going to be a lot more fun!). My baby is an '90 Nissan GT-R. Here are some initial impressions and observations:

1. Car looks awesome, and in the few places I've taken it so far, I've received very favorable comments from bystanders. The car has been well taken care of, inside and out, and that is no faint praise, because I'm very, very fussy about my vehicles (i.e., I'm usually that lone car you see waaaaaaay at the end of a parking row by itself).
2. Love the exhaust note
3. Nice feel to the steering wheel
4. Exhaust tips look bad a**
5. So far making phone calls is difficult. I go can through the rigamarole of the voice dialing command, but what I really want is to pull up an address book on the display and select from that. Where is it?
6. I don't see any lighting/illumination for the area around the console shifter. I know I can look up at the center display and see the gear selector there, but is there not any lighting for the gear selector around the shifter? Seems odd for that area to be left in the dark.
7. Navigation system seems to work okay so far, and I like being able to pull up/select information on the display rather than using voice commands.
8. I love my XM radio (been using it for many years).
9. I see in the Owner's Manual that it is possible to connect a USB device, for the purpose of copying songs to the HDD. Where is this connection?
10. With same said USB input, can I use an iPod by simply employing the iPad to USB cable?
11. Front chrome strip above front grille had a small area of bubbling. CarMax said they would repair/replace it.
12. After driving the car home, I noticed that the vehicle had been smoked in, and the more I drove the car, the more noticeable it was (I used to smoke for years, so perhaps I'm a bit more sensitive to smoke odors than most people). CarMax said they would clean the car to remove the odor. The jury is still out on that, because one, the car at still at the dealer (see below), and two, if you just clean the carpets but don't clean address other surface areas (such as the headliner) and change the cabin filters, the smoke odor will remain. It might also require doing something with the vents.
13. CarMax did the Maryland safety inspection and told me that the window tint on the car would not pass and it would have to be removed. :( Obviously the previous owner in Virginia put it on and the state of Virginia had no problem with it. CarMax said they would remove the window tinting on Monday.
14. After two days of driving the CTS-V, I noticed that the boost gauge NEVER moved. I still haven't stepped on it year (WOT), but have giving it a bit of gas a couple of times, and the boost gauge should be showing activity regardless. Vehicle is currently at CarMax to address this. I certainly hope this is just an issue with the gauge and not due to the super charger not working!
15. I have ordered Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero XL tires, 255/40R-19 all around, as we do get snow here in the DC area, plus the fact that with colder temperatures, the stock Michelins would be dangerous to drive.
16. I also purchased WeatherTech FloorLiners front and back, dash mount for my Passport 9500IX, and custom fit sunshade.
17. CarMax said they would work on the front chrome strip, remove the window tint, and troubleshoot the boost gauge issue on Monday, so it remains to be seen the extent of these issues, and if they'll have addressed them by COB on Monday.

Those are my initial impressions. I can't wait to actually start driving the car on a regular basis, and hopefully major problems aren't discovered associated with the boost gauge. Appreciate any helpful comments. Thanks!

oneman42
12-31-11, 10:41 AM
I purchased an '09 White Diamond Tricoat CTS-V with 39K miles on it

Congratulations! White is my first choice too. I was probably looking at that car too but I just don't remember the price. Do you have Recaro seats and how much did you pay for it?
Thanks,
George

RippyPartsDept
12-31-11, 10:54 AM
The usb plug should be under the armrest lid... you may need the GM special connector that has usb and aux input then goes to an apple connector

i don't think an ipad works since they suck more juice ... but you can try

i would let your local cadillac dealer work on the car for all the warranty items (like the boost gauge) - Lindsay in Alexandria who are forum supporting dealership (like myself) are the premier V dealership on the east coast - if not in the nation ... definitely get yourself in there to say hello and familiarize yourself with their excellent service while you can still do it for free

cheers,
chris

GM-4-LIFE
12-31-11, 11:00 AM
CONGRATS! I agree with Chris. Why let Carmax fix issues like that when the Cadillac dealer will do it under warranty and are experienced on Vs? Let them detail the car for the smoke odors and get it to Cadillac for the rest. Replace the cabin air filter for sure though.

RippyPartsDept
12-31-11, 11:12 AM
the chrome issue might be warranty also but if not definitely let carmax pay for it

PS: congrats on the purchase! 2012 is looking to be a great year for you based just on this alone!

Wannago
12-31-11, 11:30 AM
What I want to know is how anyone can drive a V for 2 days and NOT floor it...?

M5eater
12-31-11, 11:38 AM
i would let your local cadillac dealer work on the car for all the warranty items (like the boost gauge) - Lindsay in Alexandria who are forum supporting dealership (like myself) are the premier V dealership on the east coast - if not in the nation ... definitely get yourself in there to say hello and familiarize yourself with their excellent service while you can still do it for free

cheers,
chris

I've heard of people driving from down here to go to Lindsay.. I can't see the service is so fantastic that it's worth spending 7 hours driving up to alexandria (and possibly spending the night there) to be honest..

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
12-31-11, 11:47 AM
What I want to know is how anyone can drive a V for 2 days and NOT floor it...?
Cold temps + summer stock tires. Pulled out of a shopping center and gunned it a bit, and the rear end started to break loose. Once I get my winter Pirelli's on I will start to explore the car's performance capabilities further.

----------

CONGRATS! I agree with Chris. Why let Carmax fix issues like that when the Cadillac dealer will do it under warranty and are experienced on Vs? Let them detail the car for the smoke odors and get it to Cadillac for the rest. Replace the cabin air filter for sure though.
I will see what they come up with on Monday. Yes, detail the interior, address the smoke odor, and if they can repair/replace the front chrome strip. If the problem is anything more than a, "We found a loose connection to the boost gauge", I'll take the car to the Cadillac dealership. But you would have thought that as part of CarMax's inspection, someone would have connected the vehicle to diagnostics and seen something. There is a Cadillac dealership closer to me than Alexandria, Capitol Cadillac. Are they not reputable?

----------

Congratulations! White is my first choice too. I was probably looking at that car too but I just don't remember the price. Do you have Recaro seats and how much did you pay for it?
Thanks,
George
I don't believe the seats are Recaro. Side bolsters are good, but the seat portion offers very little support. I paid fair market value.

RippyPartsDept
12-31-11, 11:57 AM
I know nothing about the other DC dealers ... Lindsay has a reputation here and among the V community (and is a site supporter here to boot)

If you'd rather deal with the closer dealer that's fine... I'd give them a shot at least if I were you (i'm big on convenience)

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
12-31-11, 12:07 PM
I know nothing about the other DC dealers ... Lindsay has a reputation here and among the V community (and is a site supporter here to boot)

If you'd rather deal with the closer dealer that's fine... I'd give them a shot at least if I were you (i'm big on convenience)
Well, at least they are a Cadillac dealership and have worked on other CTS-V's before. CarMax just has general knowledge about most vehicles. I just thought since I bought from them they were obligated to fix problems that existed at time of purchase. But if any problems continue to be problems, I will use my warranty with Cadillac. What is the basic warranty? I purchased an extended one, for 100K miles.

RippyPartsDept
12-31-11, 12:14 PM
CarMax is probably just taking it to the nearest dealer anyway

I would suggest that you take an hour or so and head to your local dealer to familiarize and introduce yourself to the service department
at that time you can ask them to pullup the warranty history and the exact warranty info (dates/mileages for the various warranties)
they can best explain to you what is covered under the warranties also at that time

maybe call in and see if they're open on saturdays to try and get in when they're slow and can take the most time with you

thebigjimsho
12-31-11, 01:44 PM
I've heard of people driving from down here to go to Lindsay.. I can't see the service is so fantastic that it's worth spending 7 hours driving up to alexandria (and possibly spending the night there) to be honest..

HEY! Nobody ever accused me of being normal. But with a rental under warranty and 2 Saturdays of road trips AND always having the tough stuff done right, it's well worth it for me...

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
12-31-11, 01:47 PM
CarMax is probably just taking it to the nearest dealer anyway

I would suggest that you take an hour or so and head to your local dealer to familiarize and introduce yourself to the service department
at that time you can ask them to pullup the warranty history and the exact warranty info (dates/mileages for the various warranties)
they can best explain to you what is covered under the warranties also at that time

maybe call in and see if they're open on saturdays to try and get in when they're slow and can take the most time with you
Good suggestion, and I will do that. Probably a good idea as well to arrange a top to bottom inspection, just to see what CarMax may have missed (or ignored).

thebigjimsho
12-31-11, 02:01 PM
I purchased an '09 White Diamond Tricoat CTS-V with 39K miles on it a few days ago from CarMax in Sterling, Virginia, and live in Maryland. I sold an '05 Audi S4, which was my daily driver, and intend for the CTS-V to be the same (obviously the daily drive is going to be a lot more fun!). My baby is an '90 Nissan GT-R. Here are some initial impressions and observations:

1. Car looks awesome, and in the few places I've taken it so far, I've received very favorable comments from bystanders. The car has been well taken care of, inside and out, and that is no faint praise, because I'm very, very fussy about my vehicles (i.e., I'm usually that lone car you see waaaaaaay at the end of a parking row by itself).
2. Love the exhaust note
3. Nice feel to the steering wheel
4. Exhaust tips look bad a**
5. So far making phone calls is difficult. I go can through the rigamarole of the voice dialing command, but what I really want is to pull up an address book on the display and select from that. Where is it?
6. I don't see any lighting/illumination for the area around the console shifter. I know I can look up at the center display and see the gear selector there, but is there not any lighting for the gear selector around the shifter? Seems odd for that area to be left in the dark.
7. Navigation system seems to work okay so far, and I like being able to pull up/select information on the display rather than using voice commands.
8. I love my XM radio (been using it for many years).
9. I see in the Owner's Manual that it is possible to connect a USB device, for the purpose of copying songs to the HDD. Where is this connection?
10. With same said USB input, can I use an iPod by simply employing the iPad to USB cable?
11. Front chrome strip above front grille had a small area of bubbling. CarMax said they would repair/replace it.
12. After driving the car home, I noticed that the vehicle had been smoked in, and the more I drove the car, the more noticeable it was (I used to smoke for years, so perhaps I'm a bit more sensitive to smoke odors than most people). CarMax said they would clean the car to remove the odor. The jury is still out on that, because one, the car at still at the dealer (see below), and two, if you just clean the carpets but don't clean address other surface areas (such as the headliner) and change the cabin filters, the smoke odor will remain. It might also require doing something with the vents.
13. CarMax did the Maryland safety inspection and told me that the window tint on the car would not pass and it would have to be removed. :( Obviously the previous owner in Virginia put it on and the state of Virginia had no problem with it. CarMax said they would remove the window tinting on Monday.
14. After two days of driving the CTS-V, I noticed that the boost gauge NEVER moved. I still haven't stepped on it year (WOT), but have giving it a bit of gas a couple of times, and the boost gauge should be showing activity regardless. Vehicle is currently at CarMax to address this. I certainly hope this is just an issue with the gauge and not due to the super charger not working!
15. I have ordered Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero XL tires, 255/40R-19 all around, as we do get snow here in the DC area, plus the fact that with colder temperatures, the stock Michelins would be dangerous to drive.
16. I also purchased WeatherTech FloorLiners front and back, dash mount for my Passport 9500IX, and custom fit sunshade.
17. CarMax said they would work on the front chrome strip, remove the window tint, and troubleshoot the boost gauge issue on Monday, so it remains to be seen the extent of these issues, and if they'll have addressed them by COB on Monday.

Those are my initial impressions. I can't wait to actually start driving the car on a regular basis, and hopefully major problems aren't discovered associated with the boost gauge. Appreciate any helpful comments. Thanks!

Sorry I have to quote the entire post but I'm on mobile and you have 17! bullet points...

First off, I'd dial using voice control on your phone. I often also use Vlingo on my Android phone.

The center console does not light up for the shifter. It's a bad habit if you think about it. Keep the eyes up on the dash...

Like Chris mentioned, the USB/Aux jacks are inside the center console. If the iPad and iPod connectors are the same, then a 2-in-1 cable will work. Your iPod needs to connect to both USB and the aux so that you can play and control your iPod through the V's radio. Also, any USB connected device can play through the stereo, including portable hard drives...

The stock Michelins aren't dangerous to drive in snow. Because they don't move. At all. lulz...

As for the boost gauge, I've heard others complain about it not moving. On my Android I use a Bluetooth wireless dongle and the Torque app. It reads everything through OBDII. I know something similar is offered through the iPhone. HIGHLY recommended...

Oh, and do you have a '90 or an '09 GT-R? I assuming that was a typo...

Trapspeed
12-31-11, 04:00 PM
As for the boost gauge...put some pedal in the carpet and get it up around 3K RPM's and I'll bet it'll move!

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
12-31-11, 05:31 PM
Sorry I have to quote the entire post but I'm on mobile and you have 17! bullet points...

First off, I'd dial using voice control on your phone. I often also use Vlingo on my Android phone.

The center console does not light up for the shifter. It's a bad habit if you think about it. Keep the eyes up on the dash...

Like Chris mentioned, the USB/Aux jacks are inside the center console. If the iPad and iPod connectors are the same, then a 2-in-1 cable will work. Your iPod needs to connect to both USB and the aux so that you can play and control your iPod through the V's radio. Also, any USB connected device can play through the stereo, including portable hard drives...

The stock Michelins aren't dangerous to drive in snow. Because they don't move. At all. lulz...

As for the boost gauge, I've heard others complain about it not moving. On my Android I use a Bluetooth wireless dongle and the Torque app. It reads everything through OBDII. I know something similar is offered through the iPhone. HIGHLY recommended...

Oh, and do you have a '90 or an '09 GT-R? I assuming that was a typo...

Thanks for the info. By the way, while I did ask about playing an iPod, I don't have an iPhone. I have an Android phone, and wasn't aware of this Vlingo app. Are you suggesting it as a hands free replacement to whatever comes with the CTS-V? As for the shifter area not illuminating, I don't dispute it's probably safer to one to keep looking up, but the point I was making was that most console areas like that are illuminated. Anyway, now I know that area isn't lit up. Thanks. For the USB, I'll check the jacks inside the center console. I already have most of my music copied over to a micro SD card, and can use an adapter for the USB port. Thanks again. I will try the Torque Pro app out as well. Thanks for all the helpful info. And yes, that was a typo on my GT-R model year. If it were actually a '90 model, it would have been an Skyline GT-R R32 production version, as opposed to my '09 R35 GT-R.

thebigjimsho
12-31-11, 10:46 PM
Yeah, its nice to just have thumbdrives of music and just plug them in.

As for Vlingo, I use it a bit in my Town Car for work. Works exceptionally well. In fact, Nuance(whose voice recognition software is an about every phone on earth) just bought them instead of tying to compete. I don't use it as .much in the V but it works there, too. I believe its free so try it out...

----------

And if you couldn't tell, I'm poasting mobily so excuse the grammar...

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
01-01-12, 07:54 AM
Yeah, its nice to just have thumbdrives of music and just plug them in.

As for Vlingo, I use it a bit in my Town Car for work. Works exceptionally well. In fact, Nuance(whose voice recognition software is an about every phone on earth) just bought them instead of tying to compete. I don't use it as .much in the V but it works there, too. I believe its free so try it out...

----------

And if you couldn't tell, I'm poasting mobily so excuse the grammar...

I will try Vlingo out. I was just hoping that there was a contacts book that came with the CTS-V, and a way to upload all the contacts from my cell phone. I can't imagine you have to use voice commands to locate a everyone's telephone number. I mean, for hands free it is a safer way to find information. But I'm talking about when I'm parked and need to find information quickly.

cdog533
01-03-12, 06:14 PM
Congrats! I'll address some questions below:

It does not exist.

There is a product designed to eliminate smoke odors called Drivepur. Check over at autopia.org as I remember guys talking about it this summer http://www.autopia.org/forum/professional-detailer-general-discussion/134963-drivepur.html I think its titanium dioxide... Regular cleaning doesn't work as well. Please take it to a REAL detailer that can do Drivepur or something similar before Carmax's hacks ruin your alacantra, probably mess up headliner, fade carpet, etc. and still not get smoke out.

It will only move when the car is under boost, like under serious or wide open throttle. If you just baby it, it stays at zero and shows no activity. Please get the car the hell out of CarMax.

16. I also purchased WeatherTech FloorLiners front and back, dash mount (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) for my Passport 9500IX, and custom fit sunshade.

Check out Blendmount and Invisicord for the Passport. Those allow easy mounting to the mirror. There are posts on here about it

I would not have CarMax touch the car any further unless you want a total hack job repair. Order the strip from Caddy, pull the tint yourself, boost gauge is fine. They are not Cadillac techs, they are car preppers probably making minimum wage.

----------

For the couple of visits a year, it's probably worth it to some people. I used to take my Viper 3 hours away...

No offense, but didn't you have a horrible dealer experience at your local guy?

M5eater
01-03-12, 06:45 PM
For the couple of visits a year, it's probably worth it to some people. I used to take my Viper 3 hours away...

No offense, but didn't you have a horrible dealer experience at your local guy?

sure did, maybe it's because my trust in them is ruined and I can't imagine they're much better. Even the chevrolet dealer I brought my G8 to; the one I thought I could trust, managed to almost royaly screw up the drivetrain, among other things. If I hadden't asked for a copy of the TBS, I would have a couple holes in my center support's bracket right now and who knows what that would have done at 175mph.

dvandentop
01-05-12, 11:45 PM
i had an 04 s4 and now have 09v atleast you will not see too much of a drop in mileage from S4 to the V on the highway maybe 2 or so mpg

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
01-07-12, 01:17 PM
i had an 04 s4 and now have 09v atleast you will not see too much of a drop in mileage from S4 to the V on the highway maybe 2 or so mpg
I could go about 250 miles between fill ups with the S4 and so far it looks like the CTS-V won't get much past 200.

thebigjimsho
01-07-12, 08:42 PM
Someone is speedy...

Unclemelty
01-07-12, 09:03 PM
Agreed...speedy indeed...I don't pay much attention,, but as I recall I get somewhere around 320 miles on a tank...though most of my driving is on the highway.

thebigjimsho
01-07-12, 09:25 PM
325 is about all you're going to get. But if you're doing mostly back road and city driving, and like to goose the throttle a bit, you'll see it drop to around 200 per tank...

And if you do any track days, odds are you'll need to refuel sometime later in the day...

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
01-08-12, 09:08 AM
325 is about all you're going to get. But if you're doing mostly back road and city driving, and like to goose the throttle a bit, you'll see it drop to around 200 per tank...

And if you do any track days, odds are you'll need to refuel sometime later in the day...
I drive approximately 44 miles round trip, Monday through Friday, and three fourths of that is highway, which is surprising, given that I'm only averaging 14 and change per gallon. And no, I do not regularly stomp on it. Based upon your comments, it sounds like perhaps I need to pay a visit to a Cadillac dealer and have them investigate further.

JFJr
01-08-12, 01:12 PM
I drive approximately 44 miles round trip, Monday through Friday, and three fourths of that is highway, which is surprising, given that I'm only averaging 14 and change per gallon. And no, I do not regularly stomp on it. Based upon your comments, it sounds like perhaps I need to pay a visit to a Cadillac dealer and have them investigate further.Under the same conditions, I get around 18 mpg, but I upshift into 5th around 40 mph in the city. On the highway I get around 21 mpg and my practical range is about 320 miles when I look for a gas station. Any aggressive driving changes everything. I guess that's the price we pay for effortless performance.

Jud

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
01-09-12, 07:15 AM
Under the same conditions, I get around 18 mpg, but I upshift into 5th around 40 mph in the city. On the highway I get around 21 mpg and my practical range is about 320 miles when I look for a gas station. Any aggressive driving changes everything. I guess that's the price we pay for effortless performance.

Jud
I understand the performance penalty. I have a Nissan GT-R, and certainly when both turbos kick in and you're at WOT, it will drink a lot of fuel. But in the case of the CTS-V, I've been more or less babying it, which makes me wonder why the fuel economy is so poor. According to the CTS-V dummy readouts, I'm averaging just over 14MPG, and my average speed is approximately 25MPH. That is not correct. I think a visit to the Cadillac dealer is in order.

RippyPartsDept
01-09-12, 09:05 AM
have you tried resetting the avg mpg readout yet?

i would try that first

M5eater
01-09-12, 09:28 AM
I understand the performance penalty. I have a Nissan GT-R, and certainly when both turbos kick in and you're at WOT, it will drink a lot of fuel. But in the case of the CTS-V, I've been more or less babying it, which makes me wonder why the fuel economy is so poor. According to the CTS-V dummy readouts, I'm averaging just over 14MPG, and my average speed is approximately 25MPH. That is not correct. I think a visit to the Cadillac dealer is in order.
That sounds about right acutally. average speed of 25 is pretty low. Winter gas also sucks.. I'm getting 13-14 right now where a few months ago I could manage 15-15.5. Whether you have the tremec or hydramatic makes a difference too. I don't think you outright said whether you had a stick or not(I suppose shifter could mean either trans), but if you have a gear selector on the dash, I'm guessing you have the auto, so 14mpg is correct. When reading other people's quotes on what they get combined, geography is also a big consideration. The interstates here for example are not really that flat, so my highway economy struggles to manage the advertised 18.

I can tell you what will be checked for 'fuel economy issues' , air filter, hidden CEL's , and if they're *really* good, they'll pull a spark plug. If they all check out and it's making correct amounts of boost..though, you'll have to wait until the summer/spring gas kicks back in or you take it for a long trip to get some better evidence. Past the before mentioned issues you're talking about a vac leak, computer problem or possibly fuel system problems, none of which will be easily identifiable, and technically, with either transmission it is operating within EPA fuel economy guidelines, which itself is a general mpg ratting, and could be more or less than the quoted figures. People often don't read the fine print below those numbers (google Civic Hybrid class action) and believe that those numbers are solid and set in stone. They're simply not.

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
01-14-12, 09:46 AM
have you tried resetting the avg mpg readout yet?

i would try that first
I wasn't aware of that and did this after reading your suggestion, so thanks. Fuel economy is in the mid to high 15 range now. I also followed the suggestion to shift up into 5th gear while driving in non-highway situations, so I think that is reducing the up and down shifts.

buddyg
01-14-12, 06:16 PM
With 600 rwhp I am happy to get 12!

phickson
02-12-12, 12:03 PM
GT-R & CTS-V

Just Purchased '09 CTS-V - Initial Impressions and Observations

I purchased an '09 White Diamond Tricoat CTS-V with 39K miles on it a few days ago from CarMax in Sterling, Virginia, and live in Maryland.

Hi GT-R and CTS-V,

I believe I have seen you driving your CTS-V in the Southern Anne Arundel County (MD) area where I live. I have the exact car except mine is a 2010. I was driving my wife's truck one day and wondered where the wife was going in the V, since my white diamond CTS-V is the only one I have seen in the DC area sine I bought it in June of 2010. If that is you - what a coincidence that the car's look identical. Please stay out the area (unless you live there), ha!!!!

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
02-12-12, 04:48 PM
Phickson,
That was not me and my CTS-V, as I haven't been in southern A.A. county in quite a while, and have never been there since picking up my vehicle in late December. Looks like it's someone else, or... :stirpot:

phickson
02-15-12, 07:57 PM
Sorry GT-R and CTS-V -- I called that one wrong, thought I was crafty and had it figured out. Enjoy your CTS-V, they are awesome machines!! Thanks for your reply.