: Mileage range could be worse

stabie
12-30-11, 09:01 PM
While I wish we had a bigger tank, I was pretty surprised to find the real range of a natural gas civic is less than 200 miles. A friend of mine in SoCal traded her prius for the civic because I guess the prius no longer qualifies for the carpool lane while the civic natural gas does. Her commute is 30 miles each way. She was hoping it could be refueled every third day, but in fact its every 2. And since your fillup can't be very many places, she has to fill up every 2 days at the station near her house. So while I would like better range in my V, I guess it could be worse. Alot worse when you factor the sparseness of natural gas fueling stations and you get those few miles in one of the slowest accelerating cars available.

neuronbob
12-31-11, 10:36 AM
Your friend must not travel much, or must have a regular car for long trips. I wouldn't be able to tolerate such a short range in any car. She would have been better off in a Honda Fit or Civic Hybrid.

M5eater
12-31-11, 10:39 AM
Your friend must not travel much, or must have a regular car for long trips. I wouldn't be able to tolerate such a short range in any car. She would have been better off in a Honda Fit or Civic Hybrid.
when your commute is the difference between 45minuites per day and 1.5hours, if I could afford it I might buy another car too. I drive 25miles each way through tunnels and luckily for me the only traffic I ever hit are at the tunnels, which add 15minuites to my commute I've figured out (since this holiday week that's how early I've been getting home since there's 0 traffic at them)

natrual gas and E85 have less stored energy per 'gallon' thus they get worse fuel economy. That's part of the reason why they haven't caught on. We're subsidizing E85 and it *still* costs a lot more per mile than gas.

Aside from alternative fuels, I like to mention that our german brother's in E60's have it worse than the A6 V2's do. 11/17 with a 18.5 gal tank.. and you can bet $$ being a N/A V10 it's typically on the low side of that. W211 E63's are not terribly better at 12/19, but at least they have a 21.5gallon tank. RS6 owners have it nice, I believe the TTV10 gets 17 combined and the old C5's get 14/20.

stabie
12-31-11, 02:21 PM
They do have a second car, the natgas is their commuter car. Some days only one goes in so to use the commuter lane, they must have a sticker. The hybrids no longer qualify for the sticker, so they traded the prius. For them, its all about the sticker... Personally I think california has some weird driving regulations. If the point of the commuter lanes is to get more people per car because you have so much traffic, why would you do stickers? That gets you back to one person/car. All you have done is given honda in this case a huge marketing advantage on a car no one would buy otherwise.

neuronbob
01-01-12, 12:13 AM
....and that's one more reason I'm glad not to live in California, no matter how much I love the Bay Area (especially the Peninsula, oh man do I miss it). No HOV lanes in Cleveland!