: New Thunder Grey CTS-V Sedan- adjustments already!

Who'sCadillacIsThat
12-30-11, 10:28 AM
Hey all,

Great to find this forum - like minded folks. I bought this '11 because of the 'incentive' program that Cadillac offers to get to old ones off the dealers' inventory. Good enough deal that I went ahead and bought it - and like it. Very nice vehicle.... actually not as advanced with features as the '11 Ford Fusion Hybrid is - that was a surprise.

I noticed after the purchase of the 'V' and the initial test drive, that the steering wheel was off to the left when tracking straight. I was a bit alarmed so took it to a closer Cadillac dealer (that didn't have any '11's left sorry to say...) and they put the car on a front end machine. The right front and rear were out of alignment enough that the car 'crabbed' enough to require a bit of left steering to track straight. On questioning the dealer where it came from, they said that Cadillac is not so precise about alignment when they're built because of the warranty and the dealers would correct it..... That sounds a bit 'queer' to me.... The car had 48 miles and was on the dealer lot for 240 days before it was sold - to me. How; why; and how come?

Anyone heard of this? The steering is correct now but I'm concerned about some abuse that it may have had before I bought it.

Thanks,

Bill (Who'sCadillacIsThat)

Houdini
12-30-11, 12:13 PM
I've never heard of that but I wouldn't worry about it. Drive it like you stole it and enjoy! You've got plenty of warranty.

Gary Wells
12-30-11, 12:49 PM
Several peeps on this forum have reported like and / or similar issues. Although not common, there are several posts / threads on the same subject.

GM-4-LIFE
12-30-11, 03:05 PM
My 2009 CTS-V Sedan that I had was the same from the factory and the dealer attempted 3 times to correct it and while it got better, it was never as good as my 2010 CTS-V Sedan or my 2011 CTS-V Coupe. If you watch the Car and Driver Magazine build of the CTS-V Wagon, the factory uses laser precision to make sure the alignment on the front end is perfect. After watching that video, I was wondering why my 2009 CTS-V Sedan had the same issue you are describing.

You can watch the Car and Driver video of their longterm CTS-V Wagon here: http://videos.caranddriver.com/services/player/bcpid597204638001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAACVjNow~,TSPHWw9b 1rIEQYv4AMtOw2KeeFovKRys&bctid=819980494001

What deal did you get on your car if you don't mind me asking?

Who'sCadillacIsThat
12-30-11, 07:31 PM
Cadillac is offering a 0% for 72 months + all lube with recommended changes for the first four years (basically during the main warranty). Or $3000 credit toward the bottom line price and you finance it through your own source. It's a better deal to use GM's money but the dealers try to discourage that.... and they have their ways!

Great video V-TWIN! I watched it twice (thus far) and it reveals quite a bit that I was unaware of about the car - it does have a 'frame'.... rare these days.

Thanks for all of the replies. The steering seems OK now and tracks straight with a centered wheel - I like it!

I have another greater problem now: My wife has been looking over my shoulder picking up on what she needs to know about the 'V' - so now position #2 seems to fit her quite well and I guess it will be in that position most of the time.... I'll go after the wagon for the next one. The wagon appears harder to locate - for a specific car.

Thanks,

Bill

4DR_ZR1
12-30-11, 10:10 PM
it does have a 'frame'.... rare these days.
:confused: I watched the video twice - I didn't see any 'frame' on that one or mine either.
Looks like conventional unibody construction

Who'sCadillacIsThat
12-31-11, 08:02 AM
:confused: I watched the video twice - I didn't see any 'frame' on that one or mine either.
Looks like conventional unibody construction

Well, you're correct that it is unibody construction but the marrying of the two distinct assemblies gives the semblance of a 'frame'. (That's why the word is in accents) Most sub frame vehicles have the engine lowered into the unibody don't they.... You did see the lower assembly with engine raised up to fit into the upper portion of the body? Very distinctly a two major piece assembly. Such a good video.....