: Snow Tire Sizes - All The Same Or Alternate Sizes?

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
12-29-11, 08:06 PM
I just purchased an '09 CTS-V yesterday, to be my daily driver (my weekend car is a '09 Nissan GT-R). I am looking at Tirerack right now, and for snow tires (Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero or Bridgestone Blizzak), the size choices there are 255/40R19 all around (recommended), or there are alternate front (255/40R19) and alternate rear (285/35R19). What are the pros and cons of going with the same size all around, as well as the alternate sizes front and rear? Thanks!

Squirlz
12-29-11, 08:12 PM
You actually want a narrower tire for a snow tire. I know it might look odd when you're used to the big rear meats but I would go with all four the same size. Allows you to rotate them also.

thebigjimsho
12-29-11, 08:23 PM
Pros and cons with each. Same size all around lets you rotate and the narrower size in back cuts through snow better. Staying stock gives you better dry handling...

HeavyH20
12-30-11, 12:32 AM
I had equal sized 255/40-19 Sotto's on all four corners on OEM wheels (9 inch upfront, 9.5 back) and found the car never drove quite right. I got a bulge on a sidewall (pothole?) and took the opportunity to get the 285/35-19 on the back. I know the narrow tire is supposed to work better but the wider tire actually drove much better overall in dry, wet and snow conditions, surprisingly.

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
12-30-11, 03:41 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded. I went ahead and purchased the Prelli Sottozero's, 255/40R19's all around. Now, if we can find out why the boost gauge isn't working, we'll be in business!

hakalugi
09-23-13, 12:43 PM
Dragon, been happy with them?

I've got a 2012 V-wagon and going to get snow tires (it's first winter not in a showroom is coming up).

the affordable 19" (Advanti Bello) rims on tirerack.com - the 9.5" rears won't be in this season, just spoke to them on the phone. so they are suggesting buying 4 x 8.5" rims and the 255/40ZR19 Winter Sottozero Serie II all around. I get the whole rotate tire and possibly cutting through snow better- i just can't see giving up happy-pedal traction when it's not snowing. I wish i had more traction in the rear every day- now.

what state are you in? how many months do you leave them on? how much traction are you giving up? what rims are you running for the 255/40ZR19 tires you did purchase?

thanks,

Hak

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
09-23-13, 12:59 PM
Dragon, been happy with them?

I've got a 2012 V-wagon and going to get snow tires (it's first winter not in a showroom is coming up).

the affordable 19" (Advanti Bello) rims on tirerack.com - the 9.5" rears won't be in this season, just spoke to them on the phone. so they are suggesting buying 4 x 8.5" rims and the 255/40ZR19 Winter Sottozero Serie II all around. I get the whole rotate tire and possibly cutting through snow better- i just can't see giving up happy-pedal traction when it's not snowing. I wish i had more traction in the rear every day- now.

what state are you in? how many months do you leave them on? how much traction are you giving up? what rims are you running for the 255/40ZR19 tires you did purchase?

thanks,

Hak

Hak,
I sold my Vagon earlier this month. :( Anyway, I live in the DC area, and I had the Pirelli Sottozeros on the Vagon from around early to mid November until March, until the temps were regularly above 40 degrees. Less than that, and the regular summer tires could turn into hockey pucks. I had them mounted on the stock wheels. I was satisfied with them. I obviously wouldn't go to the track with them, but I didn't feel like that were a hinderance to my daily driving. In fact, I kept them and will be putting them on my Pontiac G8 GT when the weather gets cooler.

thebigjimsho
09-23-13, 03:45 PM
I had Blizzaks in 255/45 18 on TSW Nuburgring wheels in 18x9.5".

I was pleasantly surprised with the dry traction. It certainly was a compromise from stock, but not awful. And my V was running around 630hp at the crank...

RaVeNous
09-23-13, 04:58 PM
I'm about to try 235/55/19 on my V - They are going to be tall and narrow...

hakalugi
09-23-13, 10:07 PM
I had Blizzaks in 255/45 18 on TSW Nuburgring wheels in 18x9.5".

I was pleasantly surprised with the dry traction. It certainly was a compromise from stock, but not awful. And my V was running around 630hp at the crank...

Thanks Jim. Do you recall if this is the specs on the TSW Nubrugring that fit over our big ole breaks?

Diameter 18.0
Width 9.5
Bolt Pattern 5-120.0mm
Offset 40

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/wheels/tswnur.mgm.ang.jpg

did you get any tire pressure kit/sensor for them?

thebigjimsho
09-24-13, 11:22 AM
They were originally my track wheels, so no sensors. Yes, those are the specs...