: Is this normal?

12-29-11, 08:54 PM
I just bought a 2009 CTV-V and have not activated/subscribed to OnStar. I noticed that on the right side of my rear view mirror is a red light. I believe that this red light means that there is a problem with the OnStar system. I pushed the OnStar button and a voice said "Unable to contact OnStar, try again". I live in the boonies so I don't know if this should have worked, or if I really have a problem with the system. I will try the OnStar button again when I visit the big city.

Is it normal to have the red light on the mirror if you have not subscribed to OnStar?

12-29-11, 09:20 PM
I had to have my antenna replaced recently. Boonies, big city, no matter. It was intermittent...

Also, the red or green light should not have anything to do with subscriptions, just connections...

12-29-11, 09:56 PM
Not normal in my car.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-30-11, 10:10 AM
It may be because you do not have the OnStar subscription… Here is the phone number to OnStar Customer Assistance 888-466-7827. They will be able to answer the questions you have. I hope this helps.
Cadillac Customer Service

12-30-11, 09:37 PM
Even if you don't have a subscription, you should be able to still connect to OnStar using the button. It's like if you have a cell phone. If you're not signed up to any carrier, your phone should still show signal or not...

12-31-11, 12:34 PM
Agree with the bigjimsho...there is something wrong. Don't call OnStar and subscribe until you have your dealer check out/fix the problem.

12-31-11, 02:39 PM
BTW, I have OnStar and had the red light show up intermittently. If at any time you see green, call OnStar and they can do a diagnostic. They correctly diagnosed what ended up being an antenna...