: Is this normal?

oldiemotors
12-29-11, 07:54 PM
I just bought a 2009 CTV-V and have not activated/subscribed to OnStar. I noticed that on the right side of my rear view mirror is a red light. I believe that this red light means that there is a problem with the OnStar system. I pushed the OnStar button and a voice said "Unable to contact OnStar, try again". I live in the boonies so I don't know if this should have worked, or if I really have a problem with the system. I will try the OnStar button again when I visit the big city.

Is it normal to have the red light on the mirror if you have not subscribed to OnStar?

Thanks,
D

thebigjimsho
12-29-11, 08:20 PM
I had to have my antenna replaced recently. Boonies, big city, no matter. It was intermittent...

----------

Also, the red or green light should not have anything to do with subscriptions, just connections...

Houdini
12-29-11, 08:56 PM
Not normal in my car.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-30-11, 09:10 AM
Oldiemotors,
It may be because you do not have the OnStar subscription… Here is the phone number to OnStar Customer Assistance 888-466-7827. They will be able to answer the questions you have. I hope this helps.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

thebigjimsho
12-30-11, 08:37 PM
Even if you don't have a subscription, you should be able to still connect to OnStar using the button. It's like if you have a cell phone. If you're not signed up to any carrier, your phone should still show signal or not...

Wannago
12-31-11, 11:34 AM
Agree with the bigjimsho...there is something wrong. Don't call OnStar and subscribe until you have your dealer check out/fix the problem.

thebigjimsho
12-31-11, 01:39 PM
BTW, I have OnStar and had the red light show up intermittently. If at any time you see green, call OnStar and they can do a diagnostic. They correctly diagnosed what ended up being an antenna...