: bbobynski please teach

lino
11-08-04, 01:32 PM
how can i replace the oil pan gasket in 97 eldoredo, :confused:

89eldorado
11-08-04, 03:25 PM
Im not sure but you may have to either/and:

1) Make an engine trans support fixture to raise the engine 2-3 inches
2) remove the cradle or half of the cradle if yours splits...
3) ask in the northstar forum

Regards,
Brian

lino
11-08-04, 06:34 PM
hey bbobinski,hello getting contradictory info about bottom part of oil pan gasket seal,i ordered it at dealer,parts person brought up pic, said its rubber. 1?. is dealer right and 2?.can i replace by the method mentioned by above member.i did all the wipping got under with falshlight, and as far as i could determine thats where the leak is coming from.oil accumalating on top of the plate that seems to support part of exaust causing smoke.seems its around the bolt that hardest to get at. hope i made some sense.

BeelzeBob
11-08-04, 09:17 PM
Not sure what your question really is...

You have to pull the engine to get the oil pan off or dissassemble the bottom end to reseal. It is possible on a hoist to drop the trans and cradle instead and leave the engine hanging by skyhooks but I don't know which way is easier in the long run. You really cannot get the pan off with the engine in the car.

The seal for the oil pan itself is a rubber o-ring style that goes in a groove around the perimeter of the mating surface of the pan.

The plate above the oil pan forms the oil passages and galleries in the lower crank case. That plate has the seals molded in place and they are not replaceable separately. You have to replace the whole plate.

Read some of the threads below and this topic is discussed in some detail.

lino
11-08-04, 11:24 PM
sorry for sounding so complicated.i just want to know if i can replace that rubber seal without having to do any of the above.also i replaced the front struts with passive from boston suspension,did eveything according to install and car wont go past 90.not that i am a speed demon but on the way back from florida went to pass and the fuel cut off like it had a govenor in it.is there any way to bypass that ?thanks again for responding. you are very kind in sharing info with us. :yup:

Pjs
11-09-04, 08:10 AM
hey bbobinski,hello getting contradictory info about bottom part of oil pan gasket seal,i ordered it at dealer,parts person brought up pic, said its rubber. 1?. is dealer right and 2?.can i replace by the method mentioned by above member.i did all the wipping got under with falshlight, and as far as i could determine thats where the leak is coming from.oil accumalating on top of the plate that seems to support part of exaust causing smoke.seems its around the bolt that hardest to get at. hope i made some sense.
I've just gone through this with my 95. The first thing you need to make sure of is that the oil is indeed coming from the oil pan only, in my case, I had to pull the engine a second time because the oil manifold plate was leaking. You may want to check out this thread

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24550

lino
11-09-04, 08:40 AM
is there a eay to determine that.?without going to dealer and putting in the dye as i have read.im mechanically inclined but dont know where the oil manifold plate is located.in reference to the pan where and how cam i check if possible .spent the whole day,and as i said as far as i could determine it seems like its leaking from the bolts or the seal at bottom.so if you can direct me as far as location and what to do that would be great.thanks again for your time and patience ralph :bouncy:

jgr7
11-09-04, 09:52 AM
The oil manifold is what the pan mates to. It is about 1/4" thick and looks like the pan until you know that it is there. It goes like this, pan, manifold, lower case, block. You must pull the engine and trans or one of the other options (drop the trans and leave the engine) not an easy fix.
Jeff

Pjs
11-09-04, 05:53 PM
Hopefully these pictures will help you to understand. The oil manifold bolts to the Lower Crank Case and is held in place by main bearing bolts. As you can see the plate is only about 1/4" thick. The second photo shows the crankcase side seal. Once I had replaced the oil pan seal and got the engine in and started up I had an even worse oil leak than before. The only way I could tell on start up was looking at the front of the oil pan/manifold under the harmonic balancer. That area was cleaned off enough so I could see the oil leaking above the plate. Dropping the engine wasn't a huge deal although you will need a way to get it out from under the car... check out this thread

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23672

lino
11-10-04, 11:18 PM
thanks all specially bbobyn for your help i think i am undergoing too big a project for my limited knowledge and resources.will keep posted :helpless: