: Limited Slip Differential

Cadjiek
12-29-11, 09:33 AM
Iam curious. Do any of you members have limited slip on your STS without AWD? The reason I ask is that my wife had a 2000 Camaro with LSD and it was an amazing car in the snow. I know it was offered on the V6 STS in 07 with the V6 Luxury Performance Package when I was buying. For the life of me I don't know why I didn't get a vehicle without it. I remember with the Camaro that as soon as the rear end started to spin out it would would straighten right out. I might have been able to get around in the snow with this 07 without having to be bothered with the annual snow tire swaps. I'm just talking RWD. Also, are there shops that can swap out a regular rear end with a limited slip? What about cost? I don't recall this topic coming up before.

Thanks guys

Frikiton
12-29-11, 01:52 PM
If I am not mistaken my 2006 V6 1SC (Luxury Peformance pkg) has limited slip differential.

1BadCadSTS
12-29-11, 02:13 PM
1SC 1SF and 1SG only unless car is AWD then it has 3 open diffs with a 40/60 power distribution bias to the rear

Cadjiek
12-29-11, 02:19 PM
Hey Frikiton
I believe you are correct. Do you live in an area that gets snow? If so, do you run with snow tires. If not, how does it handle the slippery conditions?
I'm curious. The DWS tires on mine have made a big difference on slippery conditions without LSD. However, from what I remember about that 2000 Camaro, It went thru the snow with no problem. Years ago we also had a 1985 Camaro that scared the heck out of me in slippery conditions. It didn't have LSD.

Cadjiek

malatu
12-29-11, 04:14 PM
If you have traction control, why would you need limited slip differential?

EChas3
12-29-11, 04:41 PM
If there's less slip to start, the traction control isn't called upon as much.

Cadjiek
12-29-11, 06:07 PM
That's very true Echas3. With LSD you have two drive wheels insteads of just one. Also, when one wheel starts to slip the other will correct the slipping. The more you can eliminate the necessity for tration control on our cars the better.. I have had too many close calls at our Michigan turn arounds when the traction control kills power to the engine. (even in dry coditions !)

cadillacmike68
12-29-11, 07:48 PM
Traction control can't make up for everything. My 2009 Platinum ed had LSD, but i don't live in the snow belt.

JGarten
12-29-11, 10:56 PM
2005 V8 1SF RWD w/LSD (G80 AXLE POSITRACTION LIMITED SLIP). LSD is great for getting power to the ground. I'm in the mid-South, so not much snow around here. We get ice, not snow so LSD or not, things get really slippery when it turns white. Taction control can back-fire in really slippery conditions, like when I try to climb my driveway when it's raining. 200ft long with maybe a 50ft rise (yep, 25% grade) seal-coated asphalt. Traction control kinda acts like a rubber band when it stops a wheel from spinning and then lets go it spins even more! Bet it's the same in mud and ice. Snow? Can't say. I have to disable traction control using the push the button on the console below the shifter to get up my driveway in the rain.

EChas3
12-30-11, 12:16 AM
That's very true Echas3. With LSD you have two drive wheels insteads of just one. Also, when one wheel starts to slip the other will correct the slipping. The more you can eliminate the necessity for tration control on our cars the better.. I have had too many close calls at our Michigan turn arounds when the traction control kills power to the engine. (even in dry coditions !)

My AWD's traction control seems better behaved than that in my wife's RWD (w/o LSD). Good tires inflated to the proper pressure helps prevent premature activation of traction control; like that described.