: Northstar STS story

03CADDY
08-25-03, 12:40 AM
I bought a 93 STS about 4 years ago at an auto auction - having little or no knowledge of the northstar engine. It had about 150 K miles on it. But the car was in good condition never-the-less. I Drove this car for 2 years and beat the hell out of it.

I am into club rally (off road racing) and I did not have a prepped car to race up in the mountains with . I took that STS on a 275 mile off road course in the mountains. We placed 4th. The car was amazing it pulled huge sweeping turns. People were taken aback by the car as most of the entries were foreign (VWs, Audis, Toyo's, etc). After the 12 hour race it ran with no problems until about 30.000 miles later.

At the local 1/4 mile strip I took the STS to a test and tune. I took about 10 1/4 mile runs at about 15.8 seconds. No overheating, no engine problems etc.

The engine ran so well and clean that I got a fast pass on emissions at 180K miles.

However the radiator could not take it any longer and after a few grueling months I finally had to trade her in. Best car I have ever owned. Even better than my CTS now - which I think is an excellent car too.

AirJigga25
08-27-03, 12:31 PM
I bought a 93 STS about 4 years ago at an auto auction - having little or no knowledge of the northstar engine. It had about 150 K miles on it. But the car was in good condition never-the-less. I Drove this car for 2 years and beat the hell out of it.

I am into club rally (off road racing) and I did not have a prepped car to race up in the mountains with . I took that STS on a 275 mile off road course in the mountains. We placed 4th. The car was amazing it pulled huge sweeping turns. People were taken aback by the car as most of the entries were foreign (VWs, Audis, Toyo's, etc). After the 12 hour race it ran with no problems until about 30.000 miles later.

At the local 1/4 mile strip I took the STS to a test and tune. I took about 10 1/4 mile runs at about 15.8 seconds. No overheating, no engine problems etc.

The engine ran so well and clean that I got a fast pass on emissions at 180K miles.

However the radiator could not take it any longer and after a few grueling months I finally had to trade her in. Best car I have ever owned. Even better than my CTS now - which I think is an excellent car too.

All I can say is WOW

elwesso
08-27-03, 07:44 PM
Great story......

See y'all, the northstar aint so bad!!! And it is probably still going strong, with the new parts he needed!!!!

Loud 93 STS
08-31-03, 11:55 AM
That story makes me feel good considering I have a 93 STS that just topped 145000. Good story!

elwesso
08-31-03, 12:08 PM
If you havent been properly welcomed, welcome loud 93 STS....... Thanks for coming!!

145k on a 1st year northstar..... Thats great!! How has it been reliability wise.....

kcnewell
09-01-03, 01:12 AM
145k on a 1st year northstar..... Thats great!! How has it been reliability wise.....

What???? I've seen so many of these engines with 200,000+ miles on them and running like new that I can't even begin to list them! I even know of a couple that are approaching 300,000 miles with no major problems....145,000 miles is hardly broken in. And the early ones are NO exception to the rule.

Katshot
09-02-03, 07:45 AM
What???? I've seen so many of these engines with 200,000+ miles on them and running like new that I can't even begin to list them! I even know of a couple that are approaching 300,000 miles with no major problems....145,000 miles is hardly broken in. And the early ones are NO exception to the rule.

What line of work are you in that you have seen SO MANY high-mileage Northstars? Just curious.

kcnewell
09-03-03, 12:50 AM
Really?

Katshot
09-03-03, 03:43 PM
Really?

????????????

ljklaiber
09-03-03, 04:03 PM
I think GM has some engineers techin sites. Ol Bob Lutz is back at GM and 2005 should be a 'killer' year for GM. CTS V and GTO are probably just the start. As an old geezer, I say it about time.

Katshot
09-03-03, 07:46 PM
You MAY be right about it being the start of something good at GM. I remain cautiously optimistic. But your statement about engineers checking out sites, what's THAT about?

ljklaiber
09-03-03, 08:15 PM
I used to call it 'getting to know the customers'. Part of understanding the job sometimes.

Loud 93 STS
09-03-03, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the discussion. On my STS i have to say, I have never been stuck on the side of the road to start off. I have had some problems out of it though recently. I had to replace the heating/A/C control module so the blower would turn on and off. Luckily that was only around 70 dollars at dealer cost. After that it was great for a while. Next though i found a crack in the plastic tank of the radiator. So I took it off and had it refurbished and a new tank put on it. That ended up being around 150. Again it ran good for a while. Then about last May the transmission input speed sensor went out. Thats the one that you have to pull the trans out to replace. I got a great deal on that fix at 450. That is all the major things that have happened. Other than that stuff, just minor things here and there from lack of care before me. I can't relly say too much though because i got a great deal on it and it looks fabulous.

jonrodman
09-21-03, 12:16 AM
What line of work are you in that you have seen SO MANY high-mileage Northstars? Just curious.

If you jump onto Ebay once a week you will see quite a few 200+ mile Sevilles. There have been at least 5 this last summer.

If you go to Autotrader.com you will be able to find at least 10 on any given week. Also, there is a dealer in CT who seems to have at least one or two different high mileage Sevilles every week.

Sales people and regional managers purchase these things to drive, and they drive them a lot every day. The miles add up. Many people drive over 1000 miles per week. I used to cover a four state sales area - 85,000 miles average per year for six years. I wish the Northstar was available back then.

Some people commute from CT or NJ to New York City. The goal is to live as far from the city as possible, but still commute.

Jon

RLLOVETT
09-21-03, 01:10 AM
This thread is extremely gratifying to read since I just coughed up 6 grand for a 94 Eldo with 122k! After 2k miles I have no codes, no oddities, a few drops of oil leak and a very smooth, powerful ride that I hope will carry me at least another 50k.
Now the question before me is: do I get to punch it every now and then (to clean and lube those upper rings!), or am I tempting fate (and the gaskets) and should settle for babying it into its dotage?...

elwesso
09-21-03, 01:51 AM
I think as long as you have good maintenance habits, it wont really matter how you driive it....... Obviously, you cant drive it at the redline for a long time, because eventually all the oil will be backed up in the valve covers, because it cant drain that fast!!!

jonrodman
09-23-03, 01:15 AM
This thread is extremely gratifying to read since I just coughed up 6 grand for a 94 Eldo with 122k! After 2k miles I have no codes, no oddities, a few drops of oil leak and a very smooth, powerful ride that I hope will carry me at least another 50k.
Now the question before me is: do I get to punch it every now and then (to clean and lube those upper rings!), or am I tempting fate (and the gaskets) and should settle for babying it into its dotage?...

Hi,
Keep in mind that the handful of people posting here are probably having problems with their cars. The other 10 million Cadillac drivers are not having problems and therefore not interested in posting.

I am not having problems with mine, I am just a newbie North Star owner and curious about performance upgrades, proper maintenance, and I do have a couple minor repairs I am going to do myself. My car is high mileage and will hopefully drive on to become very high mileage.

Please don't be surprised if you don't have any problems with your Cadillac. Most people don't.

If you want to read about problems and early engine failure, please visit the VW or Hyundai forum.

Jon
96STS