: Transmission Fluid

orange57
12-29-11, 12:54 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for transmission fluid? I'm about to replace my trans, and need to buy the fluid for the fill. Thought i'd ping other owners to see if they recommended anything they use. I'm thinking of going with the Mobil 1 synthetic.

C&C
12-29-11, 06:15 AM
The latest and greatest is currently rated as Dexron VI; I would think if it has this rating, it would be as good as needed by your transmission no matter the make.

M5eater
12-29-11, 08:51 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for transmission fluid? I'm about to replace my trans, and need to buy the fluid for the fill. Thought i'd ping other owners to see if they recommended anything they use. I'm thinking of going with the Mobil 1 synthetic.

There is no Mobil 1 Dexron VI, there *is* mobil dexron VI, but it's not sold at retail afaik. . Besides that, Dexron VI is already a synthetic fluid speficiation. If it were my Trans, I'd try to get the stuff straight from GM. Unless you're shunting massive HP through it, I'd want my fluid from the people that acutally designed and built the transmission. People in Audi-world pay $20/quart for ZF brand ATF that has a 15 year old formulation. Luckily, in America-land, it's only ~ $4-5/quart and a 5 year old formulation.

MARSTS
12-29-11, 11:49 AM
I just got mine done at my dealership at 52,000 miles. Dexron VI is the fluid that is used.

orange57
12-29-11, 12:54 PM
I was doing some reading on the Transmission Fluid. The 05 calls for Dexron III-H, the Dexron VI was rolled out for the 6speed transmissions, which GM put in all makes as a factory fill in 2006. GM did not renew any licenses for the Dexron III-H spec, and moved forward with Dexron VI as it's primary spec. Dexron VI is backwards compatible with all previous Dexron blends (ie II, III, III-H).

Fluid directly from GM is around $12-13 bucks a quart. Looking around online, other Dexron VI fluids are around $8-10 a quart. I need to swing into my local store and see what they have in stock. I'm looking to tackle the swap next weekend.

M5eater
12-29-11, 01:41 PM
I was doing some reading on the Transmission Fluid. The 05 calls for Dexron III-H, the Dexron VI was rolled out for the 6speed transmissions, which GM put in all makes as a factory fill in 2006. GM did not renew any licenses for the Dexron III-H spec, and moved forward with Dexron VI as it's primary spec. Dexron VI is backwards compatible with all previous Dexron blends (ie II, III, III-H).

Fluid directly from GM is around $12-13 bucks a quart. Looking around online, other Dexron VI fluids are around $8-10 a quart. I need to swing into my local store and see what they have in stock. I'm looking to tackle the swap next weekend.

If cost is the issue, I would go with any name-brand Dexron VI. Valvoliene, Mobil, Pennzoil, ect. IMO, I wouldn't cheap out $70 for something that's going to be in there 50-100K.. but if you must, at least take my previous suggestion.

orange57
01-02-12, 01:06 PM
Cost isn't really the big issue, just looking for input. Getting it from the dealer is more of a hassle, as the nearest dealer is about 30miles away. I've still been doing some google surfing on the Dex VI stuff. GM basically sells a license to produce the fluid and ensures that it meets the minimum requirements. Here is a list of the companies and brands that are officially licensed. as an FYI to any other prospective users, it is a good idea to look for the licensed stuff which ensures that you are getting what GM has specified.

http://www.imakenews.com/lubritec/e_article001628035.cfm?x=b11,0,w