: Frayed Steering Wheel

BooYaKa
12-29-11, 12:33 AM
Just wondering if anyone has had this problem..Took the car in for a wash at my normal spot but told the guy to give the suede wheel a good wipe down. Turns out the guy went bananas on it, and now at the top of the wheel there are some slight bumps. Nothing too major, its just annoying. Anyone ever had this happen? Would a very fine sand paper work or will it just make it worse?

M5eater
12-29-11, 08:29 AM
The GM suede is not acutal alcantara , and should not require the typical mantiance (I like the material better acutally, all the feel with none of the draw backs.) If you're talking about the 'fuzzies' that typical alcantara accumulates over time, lint removers and or cheap shaving razors have been the suggestion by forums from when I had a car with alcantara. I have not had to remove these from the GM suede though, if you have them imo that would be an indication of too much force when cleaning. You should be using a sparring amount of soap and water with a microfiber towel to clean the wheel with LIGHT pressure. Scrubbing or a lot of force is definitally NOT something you should do, or allow anyone to do. The suggestion to use soap suds from johnsons baby shampoo is a tip I've learned, but I have some adams interior detailer that I spritz on a MF towel and gently aggitate the wheel with. Works like magic and a quick run over with a clean MF towel will bring the material back up.

If there were one part of the car I would not allow someone to clean at a stop and wash, it would be the suede.

neuronbob
12-29-11, 11:46 AM
If there were one part of the car I would not allow someone to clean at a stop and wash, it would be the entire car.

Fixed. :D

BooYaKa
12-30-11, 06:02 PM
Thanks, the lint remover worked like a charm.

M5eater
12-30-11, 07:31 PM
Thanks, the lint remover worked like a charm.

Glad it worked! :D