Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What are the current recommended fluids?

692 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  M5eater 
#1 ·
I know there are a lot of folks on the site that don't really care about the GM recommendations, but I just want to maintain my V and not be denied a warranty claim (if needed). I also don't want to start an oil war, but I have been trying to determine what the current from GM recommendations are for fluids...mainly engine, trans, and diff oil.

Differential:
The original recommendation for differential oil required the addition of a 4 oz bottle of friction modifiers. Then, the Dexron LS gear lube came along (GM P/N 88862624) and does not require the additional friction modifiers. Is Dexron LS still the current recommended lube for the differential?

Engine:
I know we all will agree that Mobil 1 is the best oil on the planet and that is why Cadillac uses it :duck: Is an oil that meets the GM spec 4718M still the latest spec requirement, is there a newer spec, or is dexos1™ the new requirement?

Transmission:
For an auto...Dexron 6. Still the latest recommendation?

Anyone else think that a sticky (updated when needed) on the latest recommended fluids would be helpful? Does GM have a link that lists their current recommendations?

See less See more
#3 ·
There are people that run different diff and trans oils(myself included).. but I don't know of any manufacturer that reccomends their own product for a Dexron LS application LSD, and the Dexron VI in the trans is a very good oil.
Mobil has said that they did reforumate their Mobil 1 oil slightly for the Dexos 1 specification, but if you have some old stock lying around, it's not going to hurt to use it. This powertrain was certified on the 4718M specification and absolutly nothing but the oil cap changed in 2011 when they switched to Dexos 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.