: Towing Capacity affected?

MEJIA
11-08-04, 12:36 PM
Hello, I am posting a question I think it is important for all Escalade owners to know the answer.

If the stock wheels and tires are changed for lets say: 18", 20", 22", or 24" wheels and tires, is the towing capacity affected, and I mean only changing wheels and tires, without adding lowering kits or any other suspension mod? If indeed the towing capacity is affected how much is it reduced? Is there anyway to calculate this?

Thanks in advance,

Mejia

Daryl in KY
11-08-04, 02:40 PM
That's a complicated question to answer in a simple way. If the replacement tires have a lower load rating, you affect not only the towing capacity, but how much load you can carry in the vehicle. So assuming the replacement tires have as high a load rating as the OE tires, the other factors are the tire OD and the wheels. The wheels should be rated to carry the same loads as the OE wheels/tires. They must also have the same offset or back-spacing as the original wheels. Wheel back-spacing gets tricky as the rim width changes, so let the wheel manufacturer help. That leaves tire OD. If the tire OD changes much over 3/4 of an inch over the OE tire OD, you have changed the effective gearing of the vehicle or the engine RPM required for an actual vehicle speed. This has an affect on the rated towing capacity and the braking capacity. If the tire OD is close the the OE tire, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. However if the tire OD is larger, GM will probably not honor drivetrain warranty claims. They will be able to claim that you have modified the vehicle is such a way to void the warranty. So if you're going to tow, keep the tire OD and load rating as close to the original as possible. Also a word of caution about replacement tires and wheels. They may not have passed the kind of test requirements that the OE parts were subjected to. I'm not saying they won't pass the OE requirements, but there are a lot of aftermarket parts that leave a lot to be desired.

MEJIA
11-08-04, 03:12 PM
That's a complicated question to answer in a simple way. If the replacement tires have a lower load rating, you affect not only the towing capacity, but how much load you can carry in the vehicle. So assuming the replacement tires have as high a load rating as the OE tires, the other factors are the tire OD and the wheels. The wheels should be rated to carry the same loads as the OE wheels/tires. They must also have the same offset or back-spacing as the original wheels. Wheel back-spacing gets tricky as the rim width changes, so let the wheel manufacturer help. That leaves tire OD. If the tire OD changes much over 3/4 of an inch over the OE tire OD, you have changed the effective gearing of the vehicle or the engine RPM required for an actual vehicle speed. This has an affect on the rated towing capacity and the braking capacity. If the tire OD is close the the OE tire, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. However if the tire OD is larger, GM will probably not honor drivetrain warranty claims. They will be able to claim that you have modified the vehicle is such a way to void the warranty. So if you're going to tow, keep the tire OD and load rating as close to the original as possible. Also a word of caution about replacement tires and wheels. They may not have passed the kind of test requirements that the OE parts were subjected to. I'm not saying they won't pass the OE requirements, but there are a lot of aftermarket parts that leave a lot to be desired.

Thank you very much for your answer, I was curious to know this because I am about to buy 3 ATVs and most probable is that when in need to tow them, I will use the Escalade. Right now I have OE wheels with Michelin Cross Terrain rubber, however since day one I have coinsidered to change wheels and tires ( 20", 22") but for the time being I am staying OE
Thank you very much again!
:D

Harrison256
11-08-04, 04:06 PM
3 atvs is nothing thats like max 4k lbs (including trailer)