: Gripe with AUTO headlights

porschefan1013
12-28-11, 04:15 PM
Cadillac, if you're listening, fix this please!

The fact that the headlights start auto is very annoying to me. There should be an OFF position for the headlight knob.

I have always heard that is extremely bad for HID headlights to be turned on and off rapidly. But with them always stuck in auto, if you don't start the car fast enough they will momentarily come on, then go off as the ignition turns over and then come back on.

The only solution (other than to try to rapidly start the car) is to hold the headlight knob down as you start the car so they stay off. Then, of course, when you turn them on, your dynamic headlights aren't active.

Furthermore, when I start my car in the garage, they come on...then 5 seconds later when I back out, they go off.

Just give me an OFF position! Either that, or give the headlights a delay and don't have the ballasts ignite until after the engine is running. And when I turn my headlights on, they should be in the dynamic mode.

/rant

----------

And while I'm on it, where is my dang sunglasses holder!?

Club Malibu
12-28-11, 06:36 PM
And while I'm on it, where is my dang sunglasses holder!?

Yeah I was looking for that too. Maybe with the map lights and home link buttons AND the ultraview they just didn't have the room up there and it got axed. Maybe they could of done something but it would look stupid.

I do like the sunglasses holders in the rental cars that I get but some of them just look so stupid it's ugly.

I prefer no sunglasses holders over a stupid and ugly looking one.

So what I do....... I extend the part on the passenger Recaros which is right underneath the knees. (I don't know what that's called) and it makes a nice little pocket and it's great for holding sunglasses and EZ-Pass. (Yes I know ya lose it when someone gets in the car....)

GM-4-LIFE
12-28-11, 07:00 PM
I would also like Cadillac to fix the headlighting system to have a master off switch and an auto just like my 2006 CTS-V had. I really liked having the option of turning everything off or having it on auto.

The way they have it setup now is terrible. I hate it! Make the next gen CTS' headlighting system like my V1!!

ALL new GM vehicles are exactly like how our Vs are.

SoCalCTSV
12-28-11, 07:13 PM
You guys are nit picking.

GM-4-LIFE
12-28-11, 07:15 PM

It's just the way us V2 guys are.

porschefan1013
12-28-11, 10:08 PM
Yeah I was looking for that too. Maybe with the map lights and home link buttons AND the ultraview they just didn't have the room up there and it got axed. Maybe they could of done something but it would look stupid.

I do like the sunglasses holders in the rental cars that I get but some of them just look so stupid it's ugly.

I prefer no sunglasses holders over a stupid and ugly looking one.

So what I do....... I extend the part on the passenger Recaros which is right underneath the knees. (I don't know what that's called) and it makes a nice little pocket and it's great for holding sunglasses and EZ-Pass. (Yes I know ya lose it when someone gets in the car....)

Not a bad idea with the seat, although I'd be a bit scared of smushing them somehow.

I would think with all of GM's engineering muscle, they could have come up with something as simple as a sunglasses holder and made it look decent though.

I would also like Cadillac to fix the headlighting system to have a master off switch and an auto just like my 2006 CTS-V had. I really liked having the option of turning everything off or having it on auto.

The way they have it setup now is terrible. I hate it! Make the next gen CTS' headlighting system like my V1!!

ALL new GM vehicles are exactly like how our Vs are.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Call me a control freak, but it's nice to be able to shut things on and off when I want.

No doubt. But the devil's in the details.

thebigjimsho
12-28-11, 10:22 PM
I like my V.

baabootoo
12-28-11, 10:37 PM
Pull the DRL fuses so they never come on again.

GMX322V S/C
12-28-11, 11:16 PM
I have always heard that is extremely bad for HID headlights to be turned on and off rapidly...This may have been true back in the 90's when HIDs were still relatively new, but with modern igniter/ballasts and capsules, it's not a problem.

Thunder Gray STS
12-28-11, 11:29 PM
I like it when they come on in the garage and the car 'looks' to the right. It's the little things that amuse me I suppose.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-29-11, 09:21 AM
Hello everyone! Thanks for your input! I will make sure that this gets forwarded onto the correct department. Any more design ideas/issues/compliments please send them my way!
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

Cub Cadet
12-29-11, 09:32 AM
This is not the correct solution since the DRL's are just a standard halogen bulb and not part of the HID light itself. You still have the issue of the HID headlights coming on momentarily if you do not rotate the light stalk backward as you are starting the car.

Another side note... if you want the headlights to shift back and forth (so that they move with steering wheel angle) after you have disengaged the auto lights, just rotate the stalk back again. Your 'auto' headlights are reactivated and when they sense darkness, you will have your 'steerable' headlights back.

This may have been true back in the 90's when HIDs were still relatively new, but with modern igniter/ballasts and capsules, it's not a problem.

I disagree with this... HID lights are what they are. This is still a gas that gets ignited and is still a problem with longevity. I spec'ed headlights on fire apparatus and the HID's just would not cut it... they were terrible and had issues. The solution was an LED headlight and they have never had issues. Cadillac has this technology as well, but it is only utilized in the Escalade Platinum. I am surprised that this technology has not made it into other Cadillacs yet.

muohio
12-29-11, 10:02 AM
Is this really a problem? There are millions of cars on the road today that function exactly like our cars and I have not seen a single mention of lights burning out early. The 2nd gen CTS has been out since '07 and the cars are still doing fine four years later. Maybe someone could point us to threads or articles of this epidemic problem.

neuronbob
12-29-11, 10:44 AM
^^^^
I agree. I browse the regular CTS board on a regular basis and have never seen early HID burnout as a problem. Maybe the guy on here with a 100k mile V can comment on whtether this becomes an issue with use.

porschefan1013
12-29-11, 05:46 PM

I'm afraid this wouldn't fix the issue. I have no problem with the DRL's as they can actually be switched off from inside the car by turning off the headlight system...which I do appreciate.

This may have been true back in the 90's when HIDs were still relatively new, but with modern igniter/ballasts and capsules, it's not a problem.

I would like to think that it's not an issue and perhaps HID technology has progressed. Nevertheless, the I would prefer still prefer a permanent off position or a delay in the headlights coming one when starting the car.

I like it when they come on in the garage and the car 'looks' to the right. It's the little things that amuse me I suppose.

I do enjoy watching them do their little dance.

Hello everyone! Thanks for your input! I will make sure that this gets forwarded onto the correct department. Any more design ideas/issues/compliments please send them my way!
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

Breanne, thanks for the reply. I think it's fantastic that Cadillac is directly involved with the forum! Truly says a lot about the direction of the company and doesn't go unnoticed.

This is not the correct solution since the DRL's are just a standard halogen bulb and not part of the HID light itself. You still have the issue of the HID headlights coming on momentarily if you do not rotate the light stalk backward as you are starting the car.

Another side note... if you want the headlights to shift back and forth (so that they move with steering wheel angle) after you have disengaged the auto lights, just rotate the stalk back again. Your 'auto' headlights are reactivated and when they sense darkness, you will have your 'steerable' headlights back.

I disagree with this... HID lights are what they are. This is still a gas that gets ignited and is still a problem with longevity. I spec'ed headlights on fire apparatus and the HID's just would not cut it... they were terrible and had issues. The solution was an LED headlight and they have never had issues. Cadillac has this technology as well, but it is only utilized in the Escalade Platinum. I am surprised that this technology has not made it into other Cadillacs yet.

We're on the same page.

Is this really a problem? There are millions of cars on the road today that function exactly like our cars and I have not seen a single mention of lights burning out early. The 2nd gen CTS has been out since '07 and the cars are still doing fine four years later. Maybe someone could point us to threads or articles of this epidemic problem.

^^^^
I agree. I browse the regular CTS board on a regular basis and have never seen early HID burnout as a problem. Maybe the guy on here with a 100k mile V can comment on whtether this becomes an issue with use.

Hopefully it's a non-issue...but as mentioned previously, I would still prefer a different setup for my own peace of mind.

Nutz
12-29-11, 06:23 PM
The only solution (other than to try to rapidly start the car) is to hold the headlight knob down as you start the car so they stay off. Then, of course, when you turn them on, your dynamic headlights aren't active.

Furthermore, when I start my car in the garage, they come on...then 5 seconds later when I back out, they go off.

Turn the headlight switch selector to "parking lights" before you turn the key, pull car out of the dark area, and go back to auto. Fixed. I do this all the time as I often like to drive with my DRL's off and my white parking light bars on.

porschefan1013
12-29-11, 07:11 PM
Turn the headlight switch selector to "parking lights" before you turn the key, pull car out of the dark area, and go back to auto. Fixed. I do this all the time as I often like to drive with my DRL's off and my white parking light bars on.

I'm a big fan of the parking lights myself. If it's overcast or getting darker, I more than likely have em on!

And yes, that's a good alternative tip for dealing with the system.

jwa999
12-29-11, 10:00 PM
Rotate the light switch up one notch before you start the car. Then the parking lights will come on no matter what, but it disables the main lights.
I have the same problem starting the car in a downstairs parking garage, the headlights will always come on when I start the car.
You can leave them on during driving, similar to daylight lights. The car will beep after your turn off, reminding to switch the parking lights off.

GMX322V S/C
12-29-11, 10:25 PM
For automotive applications, HID cycle longevity is just fine nowadays. The problem with creating miniature lightning bolts time after time without blowing up the capsules is ALL about ignition control and current regulation. The control systems have come a long ways--25 years is 5-6 generations in electronic control systems.