: CTS-V vs 550i

alvaro1728
12-27-11, 08:47 PM
I'm trading my old 2008 335i for one of these two used sedans:

2010 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan - Fully loaded, excellent condition
2010 BMW 550i, M Sport - Fully loaded, excellent condition

Both have under 20K miles and are about the same price. Both are black and in excellent condition.

I've test-driven them and although the V is a monster, the 550 is no slouch -- it actually felt faster than my modded 335. I'm not going to be racing it on the track; it's basically for my "spirited" 70-mile daily commute and to haul my family around on the weekend. What should I choose and why?

Thanks!

LitiGATOR
12-27-11, 09:03 PM
I think you'll get unanimous agreement to go for the V. Not just because this is a CTS-V board, but also because it's the right choice ;)

M5eater
12-27-11, 09:11 PM
are we talking about a E60 550i or an F10 550i?

If we're talking about an E60, I would say the V2..

If we're talking about an F10 Imo it makes the decision more complicated.

For performance per dollar value, the V2 still wins.
If you're looking for a car that's more balanced for liveability and trades some track parts for creature comforts, I'd pick the 550i. I'm sure with the TT4.4 being shoved into every car BMW can cram it into tuners will have a good grasp on extracting a lot of ponies from them relatively soon if you decide you want some more pep down the road.

You might be able to make the same argument for the E60, but as many BMW fans will attest, the F10 got a little more comfortable over the E60, and in the sports-sedan category, a V2 is the better choice. However, you're also getting the old powertrain in the E60 version, which limits you vastly if you decide you want some more horses

alvaro1728
12-27-11, 09:29 PM
are we talking about a E60 550i or an F10 550i?

It's the E60, since I'm looking at the 2010 model. The F10 came out for 2011.

Speaking of mods, how much modding can you do to the V (not that it needs it)? I know with the E60 I'm pretty much stuck.

Thanks.

LitiGATOR
12-27-11, 09:57 PM
Speaking of mods, how much modding can you do to the V (not that it needs it)?

It's literally limitless. You wouldn't believe the things some of these folks are doing to their Vs.

M5eater
12-27-11, 10:11 PM
It's literally limitless. You wouldn't believe the things some of these folks are doing to their Vs.
The V2 is bar none the most highly modifiable sports sedan on the planet. The tremec 6 speed is in the vettes and offeres limit-less clutch options, and the 6L90E, while finicky, can handle some serious power when you have a good tuner.

If you've never experienced the aftermarket scope of a Small Block Chevrolet, once you do, you'll never look at other cars the same way. The platform isn't even that old and 6,7,800whp V2's are everywhere on this forum. 1000whp V2's that cost much less than dinan E60 Strokers are out there and simply a matter of whipping out the check book and throwing in a new longblock.

Even if you're not looking to go crazy, you can make 600whp with this car with a cam and bolt-ons otherwise.

litig8r187
12-27-11, 10:48 PM
The V is sooooooo much better looking. The BMW will not get a second glance. People stop and turn their heads when the V goes by. Add the incredible performance, almost unlimited "modibility" and I think the V wins. I looked at and drove a E60 M5 several times before I bought the V. I did like the SMG III transmision in the M5 but overall, the V won.

tabio42
12-28-11, 03:41 AM
The V is sooooooo much better looking. The BMW will not get a second glance. People stop and turn their heads when the V goes by.

Do you live in a retirement community or in an elementary school? The only people that look at my V are old men and children. The kids think it is an airplane.

marktanner
12-28-11, 07:54 AM
While the power advantage of the V is obvious, it's the suspension that will be used on a more frequent basis, and the Caddy has a serious advantage here. The BMWs have been criticized for some ride harshness due to the run-flat tires, and while the 550 sport can handle well, it's nowhere near the handler that the M5 is, much less the CTS-V. The V, with the magnetic shocks, has a firm ride for sure, but it never gets harsh, even in sport mode, and can seem downright plush when traversing truly ravaged roads. The BMW does not possess this ability, as it has a far cheaper suspension with shocks that are not nearly as good. The braking on the V is also phenomenal, and again the 550's brakes are not nearly as good.

The BMW's interior finish is of somewhat higher quality than the Cadillac, but it's not necessarily more luxurious, and most people don't think it's that great looking, either. Also, this BMW has not been known for it's stellar ergonomics. The Caddy is not perfect, but it's overall easier to operate most controls in the Caddy, particularly important things like the turn signals and automatic shifter.

The Cadillac has been retaining it's resale value quite well for it's class, and probably better than the 550 (way better than the M5). A lot of this has to do with the fact that the V is an M5 competitor at a 535/550 price, and it's numerous awards don't hurt either. The 550 gets no such recognition. The Caddy is being considered as a future collectible, whereas the 550 is really just another decent euro sport sedan. The BMW is certainly a good car, but the consensus is that the V is a truly great car, and for the same money the choice seems obvious for many.

M5eater
12-28-11, 08:04 AM
While the power advantage of the V is obvious, it's the suspension that will be used on a more frequent basis, and the Caddy has a serious advantage here. The BMWs have been criticized for some ride harshness due to the run-flat tires, and while the 550 sport can handle well, it's nowhere near the handler that the M5 is, much less the CTS-V. The V, with the magnetic shocks, has a firm ride for sure, but it never gets harsh, even in sport mode, and can seem downright plush when traversing truly ravaged roads. The BMW does not possess this ability, as it has a far cheaper suspension with shocks that are not nearly as good. The braking on the V is also phenomenal, and again the 550's brakes are not nearly as good.

I would have to agree there.. the V2's compromise between harshness and comfort is about as perfect as I've experienced.

The BMW's interior finish is of somewhat higher quality than the Cadillac, but it's not necessarily more luxurious, and most people don't think it's that great looking, either. Also, this BMW has not been known for it's stellar ergonomics. The Caddy is not perfect, but it's overall easier to operate most controls in the Caddy, particularly important things like the turn signals and automatic shifter.

it is of course personal opinion again(as far as which interior is nicer), however I believe from a shear gadget perspective the 550i has a win over the Cadillac, but I would agree, the Cadillac's infotainment is miles ahead in terms of ease of use. Depending on your tastes the seats are more comfortable, and interior volume is slightly larger, it's easier to drive every day and haul people in than the V2 is, which suffers from some lack of rear head-room and overall comfy-ness. Plus; unlike the V2, the rear seats fold down in a 550i.

The Caddy is being considered as a future collectible,
I would say that's a streach, the LS6 V1's *mabye* one day will be collectible enough for owners to sell them for what they MSRP'd for adjusted for inflation back in 2004. The V2 will not get such recognition, the manuals should hold their value more, the A6's will depreciate and probally bottom out at around 5-10K just like all the other older Sports sedans.. sort of like this one for example..
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?_nkw=E34+M5&_catref=1&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538&_rdc=1

The E39 and E60's ended production with 20K units, the V2 should surpass those numbers even, so we're not talking about a rare car at all here.

Nine Ball
12-28-11, 11:38 AM
If you have to ask this question, you likely aren't a true performance enthusiast. Enjoy your new BMW, it should feel rather peppy compared to the 335i.

M5eater
12-28-11, 12:04 PM
If you have to ask this question, you likely aren't a true performance enthusiast. Enjoy your new BMW, it should feel rather peppy compared to the 335i.

he clearly stated that he's not looking for a track monster, he's just looking for a fast sedan..so I think it's a legitimate question.

smackdownCTSV
12-28-11, 12:16 PM
If it was a F10, then the decision would be harder.

pmsteinm
12-28-11, 12:59 PM
My wife has a 2007 335i manual w/sport package. The CTS-V rides smoother than the 335 when in tour mode. In sport it is just as jouncy.

Also, just about everything I have to do maintenance wise is easier on the V than on the 335 (and I would expect the 550 to be just as much a pain as the 335).

As for the V vs 335, the two cars couldn't feel more different. And when pushing the cars they have to be driven in different ways. If you really like the BMW feel you might be better off with the 550 since it will probably feel more familiar.

marktanner
12-31-11, 04:02 PM
Collectible Car magazine for February, 2012, has a three page article on the CTS-V under the heading "Future Collectibles". They feature a car every month that they think will be collectible in the future.

needspeed
12-31-11, 04:50 PM
I could have waited and bought the new M5 in 2012, but the V-Coupe just hits me as the car I want to drive every day. And I have owned many BMWs.....Steve

M5eater
12-31-11, 04:53 PM
Collectible Car magazine for February, 2012, has a three page article on the CTS-V under the heading "Future Collectibles". They feature a car every month that they think will be collectible in the future.
they have an article now that won't appear until 2 months in the future? I'm confused here. The only mention of future collectable I've seen is hagerty on their top 10 future collectable list for the V coupe, and he's looking at a sedan.

marktanner
01-02-12, 03:42 PM
They publish very early. March issue will bet out soon. Feb issue almost sold out on news-stands already.

concorso
01-02-12, 03:49 PM
they have an article now that won't appear until 2 months in the future? I'm confused here. The only mention of future collectable I've seen is hagerty on their top 10 future collectable list for the V coupe, and he's looking at a sedan.Thats very common. Most magazines release each issue about 6 weeks before its the month on the cover. Ive had my Feb. magazines for week allready...might have gotten them earlier if not for the Christmas break.

----------

they have an article now that won't appear until 2 months in the future? I'm confused here. The only mention of future collectable I've seen is hagerty on their top 10 future collectable list for the V coupe, and he's looking at a sedan.I think a manual V-Wagon will be the rarest, but I do think the Coupe with manual in BD with the mustard interior will go for the most in a few years.

V fun
01-02-12, 06:31 PM
Which one sings to you and makes you say I gotta have this car?

Rule12b
01-02-12, 07:59 PM
I disposed of an M3 that I loved to get my V. I have never had a moment's regret, nor has my lady. Quite the opposite actually. Having had M's and AMG's, I simply adore the V. It has a few quirks, but I look forward to driving it each and every day (and wishing I had a longer commute)

RVC
01-02-12, 08:05 PM
I would get the V....if I could afford one I would have one in a heartbeat...I have seriously considered trading my Escalade for one.

MacOSR
01-03-12, 06:52 PM
I think this is a tough decision. It also depends on how long you are looking to keep the car. If you are strictly interested in raw hp then the cts-v. If you are looking for a more overall package then it would be hard to pass on the 550. Having owned both the M5 and the CTS-V I still prefer the E60 M5 despite the HP disadvantage to the CTS-V. I had far too many problems with my CTS-V to enjoy it and too many issues getting the car fixed. I never had any problems with the M5. I also think that the f10 5 series drives better over long distances. Take a 500 mile trip in the 550 and you appreciate the interior and seating! Trust me! I just picked a 535xi for my wife over the caddy and for me the deciding factors were:
- Technology integration was better on the f10 BMW
- Better driver for longer trips
- I think the F10 5 series with the M Package looks better (opinion)
- Better gas mileage
- Better service experience (based on past experience)

concorso
01-03-12, 09:13 PM
I agree that the F10 looks better from the outside, but I think the inside is ugly, regardless of it uses better materials or not.

JimmyH
01-03-12, 10:31 PM

That means over the next 3-4 years, they will have to come up with 36-48 collectible cars. I doubt half that many will be made.

e6t
01-03-12, 11:13 PM
the v is an absolute blast to drive when its dry outside and above 40 degrees. below that temp or in rain, the power is nearly useless.

that being said, despite the fact that i no longer have my v and i got rid of it because i couldnt live with the issues i had, I LOVED driving it every single time i got in the car.

there is something so badass about knowing that you can walk on most every other car you will come in contact with. that being said, im probably going to end up in an f10 m5 when they start shipping.

good luck with the decision...

M5eater
01-04-12, 06:29 AM
the v is an absolute blast to drive when its dry outside and above 40 degrees. below that temp or in rain, the power is nearly useless.

that being said, despite the fact that i no longer have my v and i got rid of it because i couldnt live with the issues i had, I LOVED driving it every single time i got in the car.

there is something so badass about knowing that you can walk on most every other car you will come in contact with. that being said, im probably going to end up in an f10 m5 when they start shipping.

don't be shy, I'm very interested to know what you think about the two if/when you make the switch.

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-04-12, 07:59 AM

Very interested in the 'issues' you encountered with your V.....??

Lord Cadillac
01-04-12, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't think twice about taking the CTS-V over an E60 550i. As others have mentioned, the decision wouldn't be as easy if we were talking about an F10 550i. Still, even then, I'd probably take the CTS-V. Believe it or not, I'm no biased AT ALL. I've owned a 750Li and a modified 335i in recent years... The CTS-V is a very, very impressive car...