: Throttle Body...Where is it ?

Daniel10Slade
12-27-11, 05:11 PM
Happy holidays everyone! And man its been a longtime since i've been here.

Anyways an idiot-question from an idiot:

Where is the Throttle Body located ? and are there pictures depicting its location and steps for cleanliness ?

Because I have been looking here and there and I cant find anything.

Thanks in advance and have a wonderful and healthy new year!

MrHolland
12-27-11, 07:49 PM
Its under the cover that reads vortec --- 84378

2007caddy
12-27-11, 11:25 PM
If your vehicle is under warranty have the dealer clean it for you....should be cleaned once per year....I have never done it personally on my Escalade, I had it done by the dealer then six month later it failed and it was replaced under warranty...while under warranty I usually have the dealer do all the work...I have do it yearly on my other GM truck, steps easy.

1. Disconnect your battery
2. Remove the cover to access the TB
3. Remove the TB, spray it with TB cleaner
4. use a toothbrush to get to stubborn areas
5. Let it sit so all the cleaner can evaporate
6. Re-attach and connect your battery, drive your vehicle as it will go through a relearn process

Note: I usually cover the intake area so nothing falls in there

Daniel10Slade
12-28-11, 04:33 PM
Thanks a bunch guys! i'll try it out.

I really hope it solves my intermittent rough idle issue!

North49
12-28-11, 07:00 PM
If your vehicle is under warranty have the dealer clean it for you....should be cleaned once per year....I have never done it personally on my Escalade, I had it done by the dealer then six month later it failed and it was replaced under warranty...while under warranty I usually have the dealer do all the work...I have do it yearly on my other GM truck, steps easy.

1. Disconnect your battery
2. Remove the cover to access the TB
3. Remove the TB, spray it with TB cleaner
4. use a toothbrush to get to stubborn areas
5. Let it sit so all the cleaner can evaporate
6. Re-attach and connect your battery, drive your vehicle as it will go through a relearn process

Note: I usually cover the intake area so nothing falls in there

Step one is an integral part of the fix. Once you have cleaned the back side of the throttle body butterfly (be careful as there is a razor sharp edge on the mating surface on the side bore of the throttle body) The ECM has to relearn idle parameters with the clean throttle body. If you do not disconnect the battery you can go a few days before it will finally relearn the cleaned parameters and possible stalling and sputtering may be the first response.

Here are pics of the back of the TB butterfly before and after. Obvious reason as to why it should be removed fore total cleaning. Remember that ours is similar but larger than the one pictured (from an LL8)