: "Platinum Edition" Grille for 06 STS

Smiling Jack
12-27-11, 02:58 PM
Yesterday I installed the "Platinum Edition" grille on our 2006 STS.

This grille was apparently part of a "Platinum Edition" option package added, I think, some time in 2006. It is reportedly the same grille that was used in the Chinese SLS of the same period.

It is a direct replacement for the standard 2005, -06, and -07 STS grille.

To my taste it looks significantly better than the standard grille, and it resembles better the grilles on of the newer (2008 and later) Cadillac models.

What does anyone else think?

Before and after photos:

STE_6000
12-27-11, 03:08 PM
platinum grill looks better. more open with thinner chrome gives the illusion of a bigger front end. any chance you can do a close up of the grill on the car, and maybe a shot looking down to show the space behind the grill?

Smiling Jack
12-27-11, 04:07 PM
Could do, but you can not really see down behind the grille when it is installed, because the top lip of the grille extends rearward a few inches. Please see picture of the part, itself in my post earlier today on the "lounge" forum under "So, What did Santa Bring you?"

nathanjax
12-27-11, 04:45 PM
Looks great! If mine didn't already have the V grill, that's the grill I'd be getting...

MacMuse
12-27-11, 05:08 PM
Nice !!!!

1BadCadSTS
12-27-11, 07:45 PM
Had it then swapped it for a E&G mesh, its sitting in my garage haha.

ddalder
12-27-11, 10:53 PM
I most certainly like the upgrade! That is a substantial improvement from the "before" grille. I've been contemplating some sort of change myself but I haven't decided on anything definite yet.

Smiling Jack
12-27-11, 10:59 PM
Had it then swapped it for a E&G mesh, its sitting in my garage haha.

Ironic. If I had known, I could have made you an offer. (What might you have taken?)

Some like the E&G mesh, some like the Platinum Edition grille, and some dress up the standard grille with chrome applique kits.

The common thread seems to be that lot of us don't care very much for the appearance of the standard '05, '06, '07 grille.

1BadCadSTS
12-28-11, 06:41 PM
to be honest i paid close to 350 for it had it on for about a month and got a killer deal on a mesh so i went for it, still looks brand new haha, id sell it for a decent price

MacMuse
12-28-11, 10:35 PM
Before this thread hits the wall...

If you want to move the other grill, please post a message in the classified area of the forum and/or Private Messages

1BadCadSTS
12-29-11, 01:12 PM
sorry
not actively looking to sell it hence why its not posted or anything just said i happen to have one

Ladwign
12-29-11, 02:02 PM
Looks great! I just bought the "Platinum" grill for my '05, it should be delivered any day now. How difficult was it to replace?

Smiling Jack
12-29-11, 02:36 PM
Looks great! I just bought the "Platinum" grill for my '05, it should be delivered any day now. How difficult was it to replace?

Not difficult to remove and replace.

The Grille is attached to the bumper cover with a half a dozen spring clips along the bottom of the lower chrome surround plus 2 plastic fasteners along the sides, and it is also attached to metal frame above the radiator area by several larger (cross topped) plastic fasteners that mount the front edges of the lhs and rhs underhood sight covers.

To get access, you aslso need to remove 4 large plastic fasteners that secure the top of the bumper covers so that you can bend the top of the bumper cover outward.

The job took me an hour or two. The only difficult parts were

1.) getting the right tool to reach down behind the grille to release the spring clips
2.) getting my hands and a screw driver in behind the grille and bumper cover sides to remove and replace the plastic fasteners on the sides
3.) getting a small pry bar in behind the lower grille edge of the bumper cover to keep that part stable while I forced the new spring clips into place.

My hands are very small, but the elves who put these things together in the factory must have hands even smaller than mine.

If any difficulty, PM me.

Ladwign
12-29-11, 10:29 PM
Thanks, I'll let you know. Might not be until next weekend, after the holiday.

cadillacmike68
12-30-11, 12:32 AM
I just bought a platinum ed car so i could get the grille without having to install it. :cool2:

I also got the "chrome" applique kit for my wife's 2008 CTS!. :cool:

so now we have twins! (both are silver too!)

Smiling Jack
12-30-11, 03:26 PM
I just bought a platinum ed car so i could get the grille without having to install it. :cool2:

I also got the "chrome" applique kit for my wife's 2008 CTS!. :cool:

so now we have twins! (both are silver too!)

Lucky find for you, the Platinum Ed.

A 2007?

Please post comparative photos of the CTS w. appliques and the STS platinum.

Please also post if possible pics of the Platinum Ed's visually distinguishing features - door sills, premium mats, deck emblem, center console chrome accents..........

I read that the Platinum Edition was a $6,500.00 option in 2007 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maiahsdad
01-31-12, 05:50 AM
Looks great! If mine didn't already have the V grill, that's the grill I'd be getting...

What's the V grille? STS-V? Got a pic?

1BadCadSTS
01-31-12, 09:57 AM
V grille wont fit a n/a STS fasica. E&g classic mesh will.

scott9001
01-31-12, 02:43 PM
can u get the platnum grill with adaptive cruise? might be a stupid question just wondering.

1BadCadSTS
01-31-12, 05:43 PM
only 08+