: one step away from making the plunge with a CTS-V coupe but have a concern

Trionalaw
12-27-11, 10:14 AM
Happy holidays to everyone,

I am new to the forum and am close to pulling the trigger on leasing a my awesome car. Minimum requirements will be a six speed manual and the Recaro sports seats. I have read through the forums about my biggest concern and just wanted to see if there had been any additional information in the last three days.

Will there be the third generation CTS late this summer as a 2013 model? If so, will there be a V version in the 2014 model year? Finally, is it the coupe will no longer be available? That seems to be the consensus at least at the moment from how I read things.

Thanks so much for whatever information you can provide.

Jim

M5eater
12-27-11, 11:23 AM
Go buy the V.

I wouldn't expect a 3rd Gen CTS until early/mid 2014(they *did* just refresh the CTS after all), and the V being a 1 year post release would put it into 2015 as a 2016 MY.

The 3 styles should presumably continue. They are in the ATS, and Cadillac's competition has a coupe sedan and wagon of the 5 series/E-class. So I would expect the same for the 3rd gen CTS.

JimmyH
12-27-11, 12:50 PM
m5eater is on the money. don't expect the next CTS-V before 2015.

BeagleBrains
12-28-11, 12:45 PM
N (http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-cadillac-ats-spy-photos-news)ext generation ATS.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-cadillac-ats-spy-photos-news (http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-cadillac-ats-spy-photos-news)

http://www.google.com/search?q=cadillac+ats-v&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=gFf7TrveFYPftgeptpXQBg&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1027&bih=605

Trionalaw
12-28-11, 03:29 PM
much appreciated. Love your nickname.

----------

thanks so much, Stephen.

maggioth
12-29-11, 01:50 AM
I had my V in for a oil change and was talking to the GEN.MGR. about the future CTS-V'S and he said that the third generation CTS-V will be in 2014 and they are talking about HP rating 650-700!!!!! I guess that means the HP wars are really back just like in the sixty's. The ZR-1 will probably also be increased so it will always have the higher rated HP.

Trionalaw
12-29-11, 03:05 PM
I suppose that means if there is a coupe it would be in 2015?

Much appreciated and happy new year,

Jim

JimmyH
12-29-11, 10:20 PM
I had my V in for a oil change and was talking to the GEN.MGR. about the future CTS-V'S and he said that the third generation CTS-V will be in 2014 and they are talking about HP rating 650-700!!!!! I guess that means the HP wars are really back just like in the sixty's. The ZR-1 will probably also be increased so it will always have the higher rated HP.

:umno:

I don't think GM even knows what the third gen CTS-V is going to be. Dealers just like to make stuff up. I am not saying it won't be more powerful, but no one knows yet.

And I wouldn't expect a third gen coupe. There will likely be an ATS-V coupe. It is doubtful the third gen CTS-V will be anything other than a sedan.

thebigjimsho
12-30-11, 12:12 AM

Your General Manager fed you a line of crap...

GM-4-LIFE
12-30-11, 02:32 PM
GM has already stated that the next gen CTS will be out in the summer of 2013 as a 2014 model year vehicle. Next gen CTS-V won't be out sooner than the summer of 2014 as a 2015 model year vehicle. ATS is not expected to get a V8. If/when they do release an ATS-V, it will be a higher powered V6 which kind of defeats the purpose. Why not just drop in the LSA in the ATS and call it the ATS-V and be done with it? It will be smaller, hopefully lighter and faster.

JimmyH
12-30-11, 03:47 PM
if you look around, it would appear the decision on the ATS-V motor has not been made yet. There is still hope. a slight one.

Trionalaw
12-30-11, 03:54 PM
With parents were siblings, I am entitled to stupid questions. Would it be a 2015 model offered in late summer of 2014 or would it be late summer of 2015 that it would come out?

Thanks so much. Happy new year,

Jim

JimmyH
12-30-11, 08:34 PM
My guess is 2014 ATS-V late 2013, 2015 CTS-V late 2014.

Trionalaw
12-30-11, 09:19 PM
Hope so as I just made an offer on a 3 year lease. I am so shallow I hate seeing a new model of what I am driving.

dironvictorious
12-31-11, 09:29 AM
I am eternally optimistic/bullish on the future of performance cars. GM and other manufacturers are doing lots of great stuff with turbo-4's and 6's, plus electric has amazing potential for high torque and high rpm.

However, the GEN IV may be the peak of traditional american v8's - at least for near term future.

Hence, I wouldn't hesitate on getting into a CTS-V, Camaro SS/ZR1, or any 'vette. Heck, even a 5.0 mustang might be a collectors item. I currently have a 2010 CTS-V and 2007 Corvette.

GM is planning on introducing a next generation V8 (GEN V) with direct injection (DI) and possibly variable valve timing (VVT), beginning with the 2013/14 Corvette. If the new ATS-V and next CTS-V are V8 powered, they will most likely get a version of this engine.

While DI/VVT technologies offer the potential for more power, the focus will most likely be on improving mileage and reducing engine size (displacement).

The folks on GM inside news claim there will still be a 6.2L V8. So, maybe we will get more power and efficiency. These cars all make more than enough power as it is. I wouldn't wait, for the off chance they get a little bit more.

BMW's new M5 is officially a 2012 model, and just matches the V in horsepower while being down on torque. Likewise in the new E63 is down on both horsepower and torque - even with the optional performance pack.

The V is arguably traction and shift time limited in terms of track times. Corvette Z06 and ZR1 just new optional tires which dramatically improve performance, without any power increase.

The big breakthrough for our cars will be new transmission or at least advanced launch control. The rumor is GM has an advanced 8 speed automatic in development, plus the existing 6 speed may get some improvements. Again, no time lines on either. I wouldn't wait to get your car.

You are talking about 10ths of seconds on a race track, nothing you would notice or could use on the street.

Trionalaw
12-31-11, 04:28 PM
thank you so much. Your insight is very helpful. As you can see by the post I made today, I have reached a tentative deal depending on the life expectancy of the incentives.

Happy new year,

Jim